Moto-lite or 5 Spot- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Moto-lite or 5 Spot

I am selling my Racer-X 80 to go with more of a trail bike. I have a Hard tail now for the smooth stuff. I narrowed my choices to the Moto-lite and 5-spot. Two other options are the Ventana X-5 and Intense 5.5 but I am not leaning on those. So I am 160lbs and will take the bike through rock gardens, short steep climbs, and a few ledges. Most of my rides are medium pace and long. Right now the long rides on the RacerX are like cross country trips in a sports car. But I do not want a super plush bike where it wears me out peddling it for multi hour rides. So what do you think?

mtbr member
    I hate to do this to you because its not on your list, but my choice in the 5" trailbike class would be a Yeti 575. Plusher than any of the bikes mentioned, probably climbs as good or better, and yet is lighter than all bikes listed. Its amazing how well the rear end of that frame is.

If I had to choose between the two listed, 5 Spot then.

mtbr member

Nice list

Those would be my choices too if I wasn't allready so happy with my 5 Spot. I might replace the X5 with the El Salt on my list though, same rear end parts just lighter and a degree steeper. A freind of mine has an 05 El Salt and it has very similar angles to my 5 Spot and it's around a half lb lighter, plus the travel can be changed from 4 to 5 or 6" with different rockers. I like my Spot more than any bike I've ever ridden and I reccomend it highly but the Motolite is a lot cheeper and has better standover if thats a concern. Just remember to order the swingarm with better tire clearence if you like to run bigger tires. I'd go with 1) Spot 2)Motolite 3)5" El Salt. Have fun.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Those would be my choices too if I wasn't allready so happy with my 5 Spot. I might replace the X5 with the El Salt on my list though, same rear end parts just lighter and a degree steeper. A freind of mine has an 05 El Salt and it has very similar angles to my 5 Spot and it's around a half lb lighter, plus the travel can be changed from 4 to 5 or 6" with different rockers. I like my Spot more than any bike I've ever ridden and I reccomend it highly but the Motolite is a lot cheeper and has better standover if thats a concern. Just remember to order the swingarm with better tire clearence if you like to run bigger tires. I'd go with 1) Spot 2)Motolite 3)5" El Salt. Have fun.
    The 5spot is the 5spot and you'd probably love it of cours and the 575 is getting nothing but raves. Personnelly I just got the moto-lite and I can't imagin anything being much plusher then that.I freaking LOVE it! And I put it in the 4" mode for the first time yesterday and it felt just as plush "to me anyway" and way faster I could even stand and hammer and the handling sped up nicely as well. You'll prob love any one of those though" IMO".

[]D [] []\/[] []D
    I think I would seriously consider waiting to see what the Blur LT is like.

Hisforever

dude

What a great position to be in.

All the bikes you have listed and the ones menioned above are great. There are some sweet bikes out these days.

What is more important to you slacker or steeper angles? do you like going up better than down? probably not but if your goal is long distance, you might like the weight saving of the saltamontes over the other two. its head angle is a little steeper than the spot,(slightly better uphill, a little less stable downhill). Moto lites are sweet too. All it ever comes down to is personal preference, you want my opinion, get the most beautiful frame made.
    Enter the El Saltamontes. I have a spot now, the salt is the only other bike i would try right now.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Decided to get the El Saltamontes with RP3 rear and Talas fork. I might also have a lead on a 5" rocker. I have been working with Hammerhead bikes on this. Picked that bike because I got an unreal price on a new 04, 1 week leadtime, bike is very stiff, suspension is plush, quad bearings are cool, orange is cool. With the 3 bikes I was looking at I think I was in a win win situation with whatever one I picked. The price and leadtime put this bike over the top for me.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundRockTJ
    Decided to get the El Saltamontes with RP3 rear and Talas fork. I might also have a lead on a 5" rocker. I have been working with Hammerhead bikes on this. Picked that bike because I got an unreal price on a new 04, 1 week leadtime, bike is very stiff, suspension is plush, quad bearings are cool, orange is cool. With the 3 bikes I was looking at I think I was in a win win situation with whatever one I picked. The price and leadtime put this bike over the top for me.
    you made a wise choice. you will be very happy and Charles is great to deal with.

Cheers

mtbr member

The motolite it is (or blur lt?)

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    I had a 5-spot for 15 moths and i spent two long rides on a motolite demo, my conclusion? There is absolutely nothing that the 5-spot does better than the Motolite, and construction is at least equal with the motolite showing off some more refined details (e.g. seat post brace).

Subjectively, I actually like the motolite slightly better: it fits me better (about 0.5" more top tube length for a medium), it accelerates more crisply, it has less brake jack, it weights a bit less, it looks better, it can be converted to 4", it can use any shock and in particular the dhx shock with no problems, and .... it cost $400-500 less! All these might not push trhough the hassle of changing bike after only a year plus but i am seriously considering it

besides the motolite i would pay a lot of attention to the new bur lt, it looks like a real killer!
    Last edited by Davide; 04-27-2005 at 12:25 AM.