mtbr member

Mongoose Otero Super

does anyone know anything about this bike i found one for 300 bucks and want to know if i should buy it or not is a 2009 model i pretty good condition with upgraded rederaillure, brake cables, casset, and chain

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am new at this, assuming you are too. Coincidently I just bought an Otero Pro about 6 weeks ago for a similar deal. The 'Pro' was a special version sold through Performance Bike. Mine was pretty much brand new without a scratch and all original. I love it. They are the same frame. They are very similar in terms of components. The biggest difference, I think is that mine has a Rockshox Tora 289 Fork and a Rockshox rear shock. The tires suck on both. You can get some other info here: http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/m...lusive-reviews For the price you cant go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    ive got an otero super, fantastic bike, better than many ive ridden that cost way more

mtbr member
    My wife has a 09 otero super that is all stock except the fork. Not a bad bike for the money.

mtbr member
    Thanks I bought it and I love it for the price I paid. I went ahead and purchased a Hutchinson rhino rear tire, and left the stock tire on it. But I will be upgrading the forks because I weigh 130 and I can bottom them out but other than that I love it. Good advise you guys
    Keep Your Hopes Up High And Your Head Down Low

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Blake - Your signature says that the equipment on your bike is not what came on it according to this:

http://www.mongoose.com/usa/eng/mtn/...ES-Otero-Super

Have you changed the shifters, fork and derailleurs? Mine came with the same X-5 shifters and I dont like them. They work ok but I prefer the ones where you use your thumb to go one direction and your index finger to go the other. The X-5 has the two levers that both use your thumb. Having not used it enough yet, I keep hitting the wrong lever. All those accidental upshifts when the pedalling gets harder is driving me crazy! I assume your bike has the Kenda Komodo tires. I haven't ridden that much but I will say they are the worst tires I have ever used. As for the fork, I have a Tora 289 which is just ok but I will keep it for a while because I don't bottom it out. Weirdest thing is that it kind of notches down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbbamafan
    Blake - Your signature says that the equipment on your bike is not what came on it according to this:

http://www.mongoose.com/usa/eng/mtn/...ES-Otero-Super

Have you changed the shifters, fork and derailleurs? Mine came with the same X-5 shifters and I dont like them. They work ok but I prefer the ones where you use your thumb to go one direction and your index finger to go the other. The X-5 has the two levers that both use your thumb. Having not used it enough yet, I keep hitting the wrong lever. All those accidental upshifts when the pedalling gets harder is driving me crazy! I assume your bike has the Kenda Komodo tires. I haven't ridden that much but I will say they are the worst tires I have ever used. As for the fork, I have a Tora 289 which is just ok but I will keep it for a while because I don't bottom it out. Weirdest thing is that it kind of notches down.

All sram shifters use your thumb for up and down shifting. Sram designed it that may so you can keep a better grip while shifting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    New to the forum and I'm looking for a place to buy an Otero. Can anyone direct me where to buy one for the best price online? Thanks, already learned of some new trails around me from my first night on here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just wanted to let you guys know that I went to the LBS and got a Trek Wahoo (Gary fisher collection). It's a 2011 hardtail model with hydraulic disc brakes. It was more than I wanted to spend but I figured what the heck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I had a 2008 and 2009 Otero Super. Both were great bikes. I prefered the 2008 since it had the Rockshox front and rear suspension. The 2009 was Suntour front and rear. But either way I would get it.

Members who have read this thread: 0