Marin Mount Vision?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Marin Mount Vision?

I noticed that one of my several local shops carries Marin, and after a browse of the website I found this bike.

http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/d...mount-vision-5

I am looking at buying my first FS and really like this bike, but I am not totally sold on it. I want a FS to further expand my skills and learn jumps, especially with the new downhill trails here in Knoxville, TN. I really like the fact that the bike comes standard with a dropper post. Also, I know the fork and shock are relatively low-end, but they almost certainly will see an upgrade. The main thing i have concerns about is the weight, it says it 33 lbs (I'm 17 and weigh 115), however I will do almost all that i can to shed as much weight as possible. My other main concern is the "IsoTrac" suspension. I am unsure how well it will hold up to the abuse of learning how to jump, due to the nonexistent rear pivot. My main question is, does anyone have any experience with Marin, whether it be their customer service or their bikes in general? Specifically the Mount Vision, does anyone know how it rides or any specific points i should know? Thanks in advance for any information!
    - 2014 Giant Talon 4
    - 2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 730

mtbr member
    I'm a huge Marin fan since they're a local company here. My first mountain bike was a Marin and I've had several since, most recently my Team Scandium. Marin makes great bikes so if thats the bike for you, then I wouldn't hesitate based on the name. Being so young, I would look for a bike with a tad more travel, especially if you plan to do a lot of downhill riding and jumps. An enduro bike with 160mm could work better.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    Being so young, I would look for a bike with a tad more travel, especially if you plan to do a lot of downhill riding and jumps. An enduro bike with 160mm could work better.
    Yeah, but we only have 3 basic downhill trails here, and jumping is not the only thing I will be using the bike for. I just can't justify that kind of travel, I plan on running the suspension a little bit stiffer to increase my speed and confidence. Especially when more than half of the bikes I have seen at the downhill trails are hardtails, and I have ridden them on my Giant Talon. I'm pretty dead set on 140mm, and I'm basically stuck between the new Haro 140mm FS that's coming out for 2017, and this Marin. My third option is the Giant Trance, but I don't want a Giant because I already have one and i want a bike that is uncommon in my area.
    - 2014 Giant Talon 4

Life Is Short
    Kona Precept 150

KONA BIKES | MTB | PRECEPT | Precept 150

IMO Marins were great bikes when they were made in Marin about 25 years ago, but like most American companies, they outsource to taiwan, so they are riding on their heritage, pardon the pun.

My fave is the Precept. Its a good value, the resale is much better than the Marin when you get tired of it and its not such as common as Specialized, Trek, Giant as well. It climbs very well and handles well. Good luck on your decision.
    Cheap people buy things twice

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Kona Precept 150

KONA BIKES | MTB | PRECEPT | Precept 150
    My fave is the Precept. Its a good value, the resale is much better than the Marin when you get tired of it and its not such as common as Specialized, Trek, Giant as well. It climbs very well and handles well. Good luck on your decision.
    Yeah, that was another one i considered. The suspension design is relatively similar to my dad's Thunderbolt, and it can handle almost any trail around here with just 120mm front and rear. My closest Kona dealer is about 45 minutes to an hour away though, so I will most likely use it as a last resort. The chances are I will be happy with just about any bike i get, but I want to get one that I know for sure will handle what I plan to do with it and help me improve my skills.
    - 2014 Giant Talon 4