mtbr member

Looking for a specific all-rounder frame, advice needed.

I ride:
    Urban 20%
    Hardpack Dirt trails 20%
    Small Jumps 5%
    Road 25%
    Rocky steep trails 30%

I really want:
    -Frame with a geometry that will allow for long manuals, and can accommodate longer fork travel, and has decent jump ability, reasonable road speed seat efficiency.
    -Weight, I'm not a weight weenie, but less is best (never sacrificing durability), 26lbs (12kg) is an ideal weight for total build, a few pounds more isn't a problem.

What I don't care about:
    - Front derailleur, I like 1x9 with guide.
    - Mountain goat like climbing ability.
    - Super efficient seat position.

My contenders so far are SC Chameleon and SC Jackal, got any others?
    Or do I get a FS trail bike frame and buy a BMX?

T.W.O.
    I'm in similar market, my choice is between SC Jackal, and Scott Voltage YZ0 ltd, or TMO. Both are right under 5 lbs, both has ridiculously short chain stay, and both should run about $600. However Scott is a 12mm TA on the rear.

mtbr member
    Mimi, I'm seriously leaning towards the Chameleon at 4.7 lbs is very light for such a meaty frame. I just love the look of all the welding on the top, down and head tube reinforcement. It's also a tad lighter than the Jackal. Plus it can take so many fork lengths.

T.W.O.
    Chameleon is definitely a more versatile frame than Jackal. For my case, I just want the bike that encourage front wheel loft. I want to do extended manual, and wheelie. If I'm in the market for a bit more versatile that would be my choice too.

mtbr member
    Front wheel loft! I wheelie pretty well, my record is probably half a mile (usually 100-200 meters). My manuals on the other hand are far from this level, about 10-20 meters! I think this is caused by rear frame geometry, and practice of course, an XC frame will wheelie for miles, my Giant XTC wheelies really easily and is really easy to hold on the balance point. Last time I rode a BMX I could manual it pretty easily, but I flipped out and nearly knocked myself out when I tried to wheelie it!

I think manuals and wheelies look pretty similar, but performing them is pretty different, and the geometries needed to do them can be opposite. There may be a frame that can do both well, certainly a Jackal will be better at manuals that wheelies. But I have no idea exactly how good it will be at wheelies!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just curious, so what geometry makes manual's easier? Shorter chainstay?

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer
    Just curious, so what geometry makes manual's easier? Shorter chainstay?

Short stay is a happy stay , slacker HA, short stem, wide, high bar. All are great for manuals.

Lew, that's impressive wheelie man.

mtbr member
    Thanks Mimi Spent a cruel winter sheltering from the bitter wind between high-rises in my city learning to wheelie last year. All worth it in the spring though. If I can learn to manual as far as wheelie, I'll be happy. Of the two, manuals are much cooler than wheelies IMO, (less 'try hard', and more laid back ), however both skills are useful on the trail.

+1 shorter chain-stays=easier to manual (But easier to flip? )

Members who have read this thread: 0