Looking for non-boosted trail/AM hardtail, 65-68 degree head tube- Mtbr.com
    Maxxis cult follower

Looking for non-boosted trail/AM hardtail, 65-68 degree head tube

Looks like everything is boosted now. There are some frames that aren't, I just got one of them this year, but that one has a 70 degree angle, not great for steeper rocky stuff, and I'd really like to switch wheelsets between the XC and AM bike.

Do they even make trail/AM bikes now that are not boosted or is this going to be the standard for the forseeable future?
    40% of the population doesn't even understand what a dictatorship is. Or worse...far worse...they don't care.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Do they even make trail/AM bikes now that are not boosted or is this going to be the standard for the forseeable future?
    Buy a 141 or 148mm frame already ("boosted" is not an industry term). your options for anything narrower in the rear end are dwindling fast.

flailer
    Sep 2012
    banshee is one of the few still offering frames with dropouts that accommodate boost 148 and non-boost 142 standards.
    '20 Banshee Titan 29er
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '91 Specialized Allez Epic Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Does it have to be new?
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    banshee is one of the few still offering frames with dropouts that accommodate boost 148 and non-boost 142 standards.
    With the exception of the Paradox(and Amp)...which is an AM hardtail. It does not have the modular drop outs like the rest of their line.

Maxxis cult follower
    I think I found it: 2019 Octane One Prone 27.5, 66.5 degree head tube, 12x142, $269, about 5 lbs. Not that the year matters, I'm gonna put a 2016 Mattoc on it. Says it can fit a 2.4 in back which means 2.5 or 2.6. That seems pretty normal for an older spacing 27.5. I would prefer blue medium, Chain Reaction Cycles has black large only, that should be fine with a cheap dropper. I like 17 inches a lot but maybe 19 is better for chunky stuff, 17 feels pretty small. I was originally going to convert my 70 degree frame but maybe it's best to do it right and not have a Frankenstein bike that's overforked by 60mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you have 6 bolt rotor hubs it may be better to buy adapters vs force-fitting a frame Thatís not your size.

Maxxis cult follower
    OK I found out that basically the bike I'm looking for doesn't exist. It does, but no compatibility with 10x135 QR rear wheels: all AM hardtails are either 12x142 or 12x148. Only 10x135's left are XC with around 70 degree head tubes (and I already have two of them). That's not the end of the world, but no point in getting a narrower 12x142 frame like the Octane One Prone if I can't switch QR rear wheels --- may as well get boost anyway. Nukeproof Scout 27.5 looks good, with shipping is around $450. Mavic XA boost wheel, 30mm internal width for only $150. Already have the fork (non-boost so still can switch front tires), will cannibalize other bits like brakes, handlebar, seat off different bike, maybe need a dropper tube sleeve to convert 28.6 to slightly wider, etc. Not sure what drivetrain yet. Will probably wait until early Jan to order.
    40% of the population doesn't even understand what a dictatorship is. Or worse...far worse...they don't care.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Look at BrandX on Chain reaction. Itís a basic aluminum HT frame with semi-modern geo and takes 135 axle. Frame welds look good and build seems to be quality, at least for the price. Paint is sub par but for $100 usd who cares. Just another option.

mtbr member
    Everything is boost spaced now. That genie is not going back in the lamp, so there's no point in whining about it. Many hub manufacturers make simple, cheap kits that will make your "old" 142x12 hub fit. If not, the generic boost adapters work just fine.

I know not everyone benefits from the boost standard and adapters seem half-assed, but if you're too proud and cheap to accept it, look for a used frame or chose from one of the tiny selection of frames that have 142 spacing.

There are many important aspects of a frame that, when you know what you want, it's not worth a compromise. Something like axle spacing is not worth your martyrdom. Get over it. that's what I reluctantly did and it was liberating!

Maxxis cult follower
    There are still 10x135 and 12x142 frames being made. Just not the mid-to higher-end American brand-name ones. And I know you will never believe me but the off-brand frames can go pretty damn fast too. I have a $340 carbon off-brand frame, it's tapered front and 10x135 rear. It kicks ass. I started a year ago following some XC racers online who made the top 10 in certain segments. Now, when I look at how I did on other segments compared to who I'm following, I'm starting to pass some of THEM! So don't ignore off-brand frames.

As far as boost is concerned, I get that there is a big demand for a frame that can take 29 / 27.5+ tires. It makes sense. It's great to fit in a plus tire in back. But those frames are not for me. I prefer 27.5 and 26+ tires. That's not going to cut it on a 29 / 27.5+ frame, even a 'small' 17 inch one.

First, the handling of taller tires sucks. Just my opinion, but I know I'm right lol. I know it. I have a 27.5+ tire that's 28.4 inches high, and it feels like I'm wheeling around a gun turret up front. And I was going to get a boosted frame just to have two tires like that? No thanks. Everything feels like it's in slow motion. It doesn't feel that way with 26+, which is around 27 inches high. 26+ feels fast, dramatic, fun, handles very, very well for a plus tire, does great on a standard 27.5 frame. However, it would not be OK on a boosted frame designed for 29 inch tires, because that would lower the bottom bracket a whole inch. Even though I personally don't mind pedal strikes that much, a whole inch lower just seems too low. So it's not that boosted frames are bad, it's that they are not designed for smaller tires. There are 27.5 12x142 frames on E-Bay and certain other websites, they are there, they sell like hotcakes, most of them are sold out. People buy them. For a good reason.

Sneaker man
    I swore and cursed at 29er for 15 years, said I would never own one, never even ride one. This year I was deciding what to do with my 27.5 bike, 142 rear spacing, buy new wheels and drivertrain for a bunch of money, or something else, decided to give up on 27.5, was forevr getting pedal strikes and well... I can't see it being the way forward. Went for a 29er, with boost spacing. Utterly brilliant, don't knowwhat everyone, and myself have been complaining about, the thing is so agile and snappy, makes my 27.5 bike feel like a pig, feels more like one of my 26er bikes, granted thats XC FS not HT like you are looking at.
    Ya gotta go with what you want, for sure, but dimissing 29ers was the dumbest thing Ive done in the last 10 years. (well one of the dumbest).
    All the gear and no idea.

mwb
    mtbr member
    Looking for non-boosted trail/AM hardtail, 65-68 degree head tube-matte-2550x1294.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Look at BrandX on Chain reaction.
    My son is on the Brand X HT-01. It's a solid rig. For the money I think it's a great bike.