mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Looking for nice $500-$700 hardtail

I got started on a Specialized Hardrock Comp but its falling apart and I don't feel its worth it to replace all the messed up parts. I'd like to replace it with a hardtail in the mentioned price range. I would prefer a disc brake bike and if I could get something with clipless pedals, that would be super. I'm about 5'10", 165 lbs, so it isnt hard to find a good-fitting bike. I bike mostly on dirt (Georgia) and do a little bit of everything: cross country, hills, jupming off stairs, etc. I'm not a hardcore biker, I just like to get out 5 or 6 times a year and mess around, and also have a bike to get around campus, etc if i need to. I'd welcome any suggestions. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by turtl631
    I got started on a Specialized Hardrock Comp but its falling apart and I don't feel its worth it to replace all the messed up parts. I'd like to replace it with a hardtail in the mentioned price range. I would prefer a disc brake bike and if I could get something with clipless pedals, that would be super. I'm about 5'10", 165 lbs, so it isnt hard to find a good-fitting bike. I bike mostly on dirt (Georgia) and do a little bit of everything: cross country, hills, jupming off stairs, etc. I'm not a hardcore biker, I just like to get out 5 or 6 times a year and mess around, and also have a bike to get around campus, etc if i need to. I'd welcome any suggestions. Thanks!
    Kona Blast or a Trek 6500, they seem pretty good to me, the Kona has better components for the price , but the Trek has hydro brakes, the Kona has Disc but they arent hydro...check em out

Jersey Hucker

Iron Horse

Quote Originally Posted by turtl631
    I got started on a Specialized Hardrock Comp but its falling apart and I don't feel its worth it to replace all the messed up parts. I'd like to replace it with a hardtail in the mentioned price range. I would prefer a disc brake bike and if I could get something with clipless pedals, that would be super. I'm about 5'10", 165 lbs, so it isnt hard to find a good-fitting bike. I bike mostly on dirt (Georgia) and do a little bit of everything: cross country, hills, jupming off stairs, etc. I'm not a biker, I just like to get out 5 or 6 times a year and mess around, and also have a bike to get around campus, etc if i need to. I'd welcome any suggestions. Thanks!
    Check out the Iron Horse Warrior Hardtails. The Comp is $550 but look at the next one up with clipless pedals, and i think hydro brakes for about $750

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    although I'm very curious to know what is falling apart on your 'hopper, if you're not happy with it, I'd say you could give the Kona Cindercone a shot. It's pretty comperable in price to the 'hopper comp and it comes with Hayes hydraulic disc brakes as well as top o' the line components.