Looking for a new biking, thinking of getting Giant Yukon FX (shortened message)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Looking for a new biking, thinking of getting Giant Yukon FX (shortened message)

Hi, I'm new here. I currently have an electric bike with dual disc brakes and dual suspension I got for $500 canadian a few years ago. Many parts have been replaced but it's not in very good condition anymore. My previous bike before the electric was a $300 canadian or so dual suspension bike.

I'm ready to go back to a regular bike, I wanted to pay around $600 canadian and want dual disc brakes (my current electric bike has them and I'm never going back to rubber brakes) and would like dual suspension also as my last 2 bikes had dual suspension and with the roads in Canada it's rougher riding on road than off road, there are huge holes everywhere. I realized I can't get a good bike with dual suspension under $1000 so I'm now strongly considering the Giant Yukon FX at $1080 canadian at my bike shop, I read reviews and understand the components are cheap but I'd rather have a quality main frame and be able to add quality components as they break than get a bike with a cheaper frame but quality components.

My main uses for my bike are:
    -Transportation, in summer well over 95% of my travel is done by bike including grocery shopping, going to the post office, mall, etc.
    -On road riding for fun and exercise
    -Some occasional off road riding (which may be more frequent once I get a good bike, my eletric is not so good off road as the new batteries bring it's weight to around 100 lbs)

Is the Yukon FX a good choice for my use and is it worth the $340 more for the dual suspension model (the single suspension is $740)?

I'm about 5'7 and around 170 lbs, but I may get to around 180 or so later on from working out.

Thanks for any suggestions on buying my first higher quality bike.
    Last edited by ch2s; 04-26-2009 at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I shortened my message to make it easier to reply to since it was a bit long.

I'd really like a reply ASAP as I'd like to buy a new bike this week.

Thanks

LDH
    mtbr member
    yukon won MBA's most recent affordable bike shootout, can't go wrong with that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well I just tried it at the store and it's easier to pedal than my 100 lbs electric bike is with full power on the motor, I'm definitely buying it very soon, who needs an electric bike when a regular bike pedals so easily?

Members who have read this thread: 0