looking for liquid 55 owners !- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

looking for liquid 55 owners !

considering buying a liquid 55. please give feedback. thank-you

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I'm looking to buy the 55 also...

would love to hear more feedback about it. I've test ridden the 55 twice so far in the parking lot, it was awesome. That manitou minute 2 shock was killer. So far I plan on purchasing the bike may 1st.

Unless someone on these boards can talk me out of it.

Bring on the comments, rumors, etc.

mtbr member

Demoed only in the parking lot

Quote Originally Posted by Air Plague
    would love to hear more feedback about it. I've test ridden the 55 twice so far in the parking lot, it was awesome. That manitou minute 2 shock was killer. So far I plan on purchasing the bike may 1st.

Unless someone on these boards can talk me out of it.

Bring on the comments, rumors, etc.
    Agree it felt awsome (well at least in the parking lot and dirt is very different). It also looked awsome. Go for it.
    I may be going this path myself if the Racer X will not prove better.

Derailleurless

Am I nuts...

I demo'd the Liquid at Sea Otter on the rutted-out single track and found it to be harsh. This was an all-XTR equipped Liquid 55 with Swinger 3-way and I believe a Minute 2 fork.

The SPV worked as advertised on climbs and flats, but I felt as if the valving never really opened up for me on the repetitive wash-outs on the course singletrack, and the fork felt much the same. To be honest, the 5" travel Liquid was no more comfortable to descend these sections on than my 80mm-equipped hardtail.

The suspension was there for drops, just not fluid enough to butter over the small craters left behind on the high speed runs. I relayed my impressions to the Trek rep. He verified the pressure settings but couldn't resolve my problems, even after lowering the threshold pressures.

Overall, I wasn't impressed. But check out Trek's website for their demo trailers that criss-cross the country year round and try one on the trail for yourself.

mtbr member

Also concerned about all Stable platforms

Quote Originally Posted by f*nŠtik
    I demo'd the Liquid at Sea Otter on the rutted-out single track and found it to be harsh. This was an all-XTR equipped Liquid 55 with Swinger 3-way and I believe a Minute 2 fork.

The SPV worked as advertised on climbs and flats, but I felt as if the valving never really opened up for me on the repetitive wash-outs on the course singletrack, and the fork felt much the same. To be honest, the 5" travel Liquid was no more comfortable to descend these sections on than my 80mm-equipped hardtail.

The suspension was there for drops, just not fluid enough to butter over the small craters left behind on the high speed runs. I relayed my impressions to the Trek rep. He verified the pressure settings but couldn't resolve my problems, even after lowering the threshold pressures.

Overall, I wasn't impressed. But check out Trek's website for their demo trailers that criss-cross the country year round and try one on the trail for yourself.
    Never got a clear answer if the Brain, Fox Float X and/or the SPV thresholds can be set to effectively zero. So is it just a trade off between fast small amplitude plushness and bob???.

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    Never got a clear answer if the Brain, Fox Float X and/or the SPV thresholds can be set to effectively zero. So is it just a trade off between fast small amplitude plushness and bob???.
    The Brain I don't believe so. The Swinger and Minute both had two air chambers, one of which affected platform threshold. The 5th air is similar and can be set very low.

My buddy demo'd a Maveric with a Fox Terra Logic fork which, by the description of the rep, sounds very similar in operation to the Brain. In contrast to the Minute, this fork appeared to work as advertised both above and below the platform.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I acutally own this bike and have had it now for 2 months or so. This bike is an awsome bike dude. The Mintute 2 fork and the 3 way swinger both with SPV are awsome shocks. IT comes with a full XT group so no worries with components. The bike weighs around 26.5 stock so its pritty lite. Im absolutly in love with the color, since my favorite color is blue, the anodized blue was made for me (or you). YOu should REALLY consider getting this bike, Its got awsome suspension,Strong ZR900 frame,great components and pritty lite. I got mine for 2500 out the door, tax and everything included. So I hope you can get that offer too.

mtbr member

Please answer f*natic concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Shant818
    I acutally own this bike and have had it now for 2 months or so. This bike is an awsome bike dude. The Mintute 2 fork and the 3 way swinger both with SPV are awsome shocks. IT comes with a full XT group so no worries with components. The bike weighs around 26.5 stock so its pritty lite. Im absolutly in love with the color, since my favorite color is blue, the anodized blue was made for me (or you). YOu should REALLY consider getting this bike, Its got awsome suspension,Strong ZR900 frame,great components and pritty lite. I got mine for 2500 out the door, tax and everything included. So I hope you can get that offer too.
    I also liked the bike when demoed in the parking lot. The handling was surprisingly good for a 5" bike and I loved the color as well but all this does not adress f*natic concerns. Now I see that your favorit trails are fire roads. If you ride fire roads you're probably better off with a HT. If this was just a joke in your profile, please try to compare your experience with the Liquid on fast wash out or rooty trails to adress the small amplitude compliance of your suspension. Also try to give as much details and technical descriptions as needed to explain why the shocks are awsome. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    I also liked the bike when demoed in the parking lot. The handling was surprisingly good for a 5" bike and I loved the color as well but all this does not adress f*natic concerns. Now I see that your favorit trails are fire roads. If you ride fire roads you're probably better off with a HT. If this was just a joke in your profile, please try to compare your experience with the Liquid on fast wash out or rooty trails to adress the small amplitude compliance of your suspension. Also try to give as much details and technical descriptions as needed to explain why the shocks are awsome. Thanks
    Sorry bud, but im not sure what you mean by "wash out or rooty trail" but il give it a shot. Im guessing by rooty you mean like plant roots and stuff right? Well there a second trail next to the fire rounds that I go on and im not sure what its called but its the like through the forest. You pass rivers,rocks,sand ect. Ive ridden on that trail maybe 3 times with my father, and my experiance at first was horrible because I was often loosing traction. But after I got some WIldgrippers everything was fine and dandy on that trail. So to address that matter the bike preforms well on trails like that after a small upgrade. NOw to explain why the shocks are awsome. The shocks are awsome becuase once you have found the right amount of preesure to put in the spv, you will never inchworm and you will still get great suspension from you fork or shock. You have to adjust the spv a couple times before you go ride untill you see what is suited for your riding style and weight best ( I suggest taking a friend to see how if your shocks/fork is bobbing or bottimng out alot). I beleive that is the only pain in the a$$ part about the shocks, getting the spv volume and air pressure right. SO I hope that answers your question.

mtbr member

Enjoy your ride

Sorry bud, but im not sure what you mean by "wash out or rooty trail" but il give it a shot. Im guessing by rooty you mean like plant roots and stuff right? Well there a second trail next to the fire rounds that I go on and im not sure what its called but its the like through the forest. You pass rivers,rocks,sand ect. Ive ridden on that trail maybe 3 times with my father, and my experiance at first was horrible because I was often loosing traction. But after I got some WIldgrippers everything was fine and dandy on that trail. So to address that matter the bike preforms well on trails like that after a small upgrade. NOw to explain why the shocks are awsome. The shocks are awsome becuase once you have found the right amount of preesure to put in the spv, you will never inchworm and you will still get great suspension from you fork or shock. You have to adjust the spv a couple times before you go ride untill you see what is suited for your riding style and weight best ( I suggest taking a friend to see how if your shocks/fork is bobbing or bottimng out alot). I beleive that is the only pain in the a$$ part about the shocks, getting the spv volume and air pressure right. SO I hope that answers your question.
    You will soon find out more about the other trails your bike can go. Have fun.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Where exactly did you purchase a Liquid 55 for the gross price of 2500?... do you think it will suit me... 300 lbs... 5'11 to 6'.... I want to get serious about off road trails...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom
    Where exactly did you purchase a Liquid 55 for the gross price of 2500?... do you think it will suit me... 300 lbs... 5'11 to 6'.... I want to get serious about off road trails...

Well The bike will suite you but you have to change the spring in the fork probably. I can kinda relate to you cause I am a big guy too. 6'4 220 pounds. You should do fine with this bike. Just remember those springs. Oh and I got it from this bike shop in Arcadia, CA
    Last edited by Shant818; 05-05-2004 at 06:36 PM.
    MY brakes dont work AHHH!

LA CH╚VRE
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedŘb Nate

The SPV suspensions are so adjustable that I don't think you can judge it's performance with one demo. The setup takes some time and can be setup from super plush on everything to super stiff everywhere. You can "isolate" the settings to take care of the big stuff while getting an almost hardtail like pedaling but compromising small bumps efficiency (probably what you experienced) or vice-versa.

Playing with the SPV pressure (not just the SPV!), air spring pressure, rebound and SPV volume makes it almost too tunable. I think their infinite adjustability are their only negative point. And the recommanded settings from Answer and/or bike companies can be way off (they were for my bike). After a while tough, both the Minute fork and Swinger shock are very good you just have to figure them out. That's my opinion after more time with it than a demo.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Shant818:

My understanding was that these were heavy bikes (generally 30 lbs.). Ths the liqud 55 made out of carbon that it is lighter? Just curious.

I have on order a Liquid 30 and can't wait to get on the trails.Thanks

Registered Dietitian

Nice bike, just make sure it fits your riding style.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadnyc
    Shant818:

My understanding was that these were heavy bikes (generally 30 lbs.). Ths the liqud 55 made out of carbon that it is lighter? Just curious.

A guy brought one into our shop yesterday morning- broken frame, on the seat tube below the rocker pivot. The aluminum tubing was fairly thin in that spot. Now this guy was about 6'0", maybe 185 lbs, and had just been riding urban on it. He was running a Dirt Jumper II fork and said it broke on a "small 4 foot drop to flat". Said he was using it for a jumping bike too. had some doubles at his house. This was a warranty frme, he broke the previous one in the same spot.

Nice frames, light for the travel (but no way that bike weighs 26.5 lbs, I've demoed the 55 and it's more like 29 lbs), but keep in mind that even though it's got nice slack angles and longish travel, it's a trailbike, not a freerider. I've a feeling this sort of thing will be happening a lot in the next couple of years, as everyone is looking for more and more travel at the magical sub-30 lb. weight.

TR
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, Ascend Nutrition and Coaching

www.ascendthepeak.com

www.facebook.com/ascendthepeak

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadnyc
    Shant818:

The liquid 55 is not carbon.
    MY brakes dont work AHHH!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Took delivery of my Liquid 30 over the weekend and have to say its very nice. Its true that you really do not notice the weight of the bike (at least I did not). No crazy riding, mostly urban as I am trying to learn the bike as it is my first full suspension. Did not notice any bob as I pounded the bike. Did feel bob when I got out of the saddle (of course) but was truly not bad at all. Will post a review once I have had the bike for a longer period.