Looking for a first bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Looking for a first bike

Hello all,

Although this is my first post here I have been looking into purchasing a bike for awhile now and have been using the review section here often. I was wondering if I could get some advice on a good first bike.

The run down -

Budget 150 - 300

Bikes of initial interest - Trek, Giant,

Riding Interest - Cross Country, Paved Paths

Age, Weight, Height - 27, 128lbs, 5`11"

Sources - Currently I have been looking on Craigslist and Local shop websites

Advice - anything and everything is welcome.

-------------------------

I am currently looking at a 1986 Diamondback Ascent listen with 22"frame listed on Craigslist for $195, linked here. From what I have seen of other photos of the same bike it looks to me that the pedals have been changed, brakes and possible the handle bars.

Again any info would be appreciated. Feel free to PM should that be your pref.

Thanks,

Landstander

mtbr member
    Given your price range I'd probably look to get something from BikesDirect, like the 400HT: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ne_400HT_x.htm. It will take a small bit of assembly, but you will get MUCH better components than I think you will get buying in person for $150 - $300.

That said, if you don't want to order online, I would try to find a closeout bike from last year. I think you may be able to find a Trek from last year (maybe a 3500?) that has been discounted into your price range. It wouldn't hurt to call bike shops within a 1 hour radius, and see what they have in stock? And Craigslist is certainly a good option too, but make sure you ride any bike from CL before you buy it.

I would pass on the Diamondback you linked to, doesn't look like it would stand up to any good offroad riding.

Also, 5'11" and only 128 lbs? You need to put on some weight!
    The Race Bike: 2014 Specialized Camber Evo XX1

I Have Cookies
    I'd do the old Dback for a commutter or somthing of the like! but for off road get somthing more contemporary!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    The bike listed is way too big for you. Its made for someone 604 or taller. I would try to find something that less than 10 years old. I would also stay with 18-20 inch frames only. Heres a bike from the looks of it looks fairly decent although not sure if its worth whats listed. Probably half of that.
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...694943087.html

Members who have read this thread: 0