mtbr member

Lighter riders - Full suspension questions..

I'm a skinny guy. I'm 5"11 and i weigh ~145lbs, depending on how much i ate the night before.

I'm shopping around for what will be my first dual suspension bike, looking at XC and all mountain designs. I've read a lot of posts from self described 'beefy riders' who err towards all mountain type designs even for XC type riding, because of their weight.

I was wondering if it goes the other way too. Being fairly light, should i stick to looking at XC bikes, even for somewhat rougher stuff? (no huge hucks though, but fast and rocky descents for example)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robinmiller
    I'm a skinny guy. I'm 5"11 and i weigh ~145lbs, depending on how much i ate the night before.

I'm shopping around for what will be my first dual suspension bike, looking at XC and all mountain designs. I've read a lot of posts from self described 'beefy riders' who err towards all mountain type designs even for XC type riding, because of their weight.

I was wondering if it goes the other way too. Being fairly light, should i stick to looking at XC bikes, even for somewhat rougher stuff? (no huge hucks though, but fast and rocky descents for example)
    More important to know is your intended use. Are you looking for lightweight fast XC specific for XC racing. Or are you looking for a more aggressive XC type of trail riding, or full on free riding/etc.

With an air based rear shock you should be able to tune it for your weight, if it has spring then you might need to look for a light rider kit. Just as important is your fork and making sure it is tuned for your weight.

For reference I'm under 135lbs. Using a Manitou Black 80 with a light rider spring in it, and riding Salsa Caballero 4inches of travel XC dual suspension frame with the Rock Shox SID dual air shock. So far I am liking it but it is hard to find a setting on the rear shock that works for all situations. An RP3 looks to be better in providing you 3 options for the rear shock settings that are easily changed on the fly.

mtbr member
    I don't race, but at the same time i don't like heavy bikes. It's just annoying to have to haul an extra 5 pounds up every hill!

I'm not a freerider, but i enjoy pretty rough trails, which is why i was wondering if an XC bike would be right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robinmiller
    I don't race, but at the same time i don't like heavy bikes. It's just annoying to have to haul an extra 5 pounds up every hill!

I'm not a freerider, but i enjoy pretty rough trails, which is why i was wondering if an XC bike would be right.
    I'm brand new to FS within the last month. But your situation sounds very similar to mine. I want to race, but the trails and races we do out here are more more technical and rough than typical XC races catering to super lightweight hardtails. Lately, I've felt like the trails have been beating me up, and that FS might help with the technical trails, help my downhilling, and help me finish a race stronger.

I opted for an XC bike with 4" in the back, which seems to be a middle ground between purebred XC bikes and bigger hit trail bikes. The Salsa Caballero is a full scandium frame so it is light, as is the Kona King Kikapu. Other frames I considered were an 03 K2 Razorback, and also used on ebay. Money was an issue, and while a Racer X 100, or Turner would be sweet, I went with the closeout Caballero. A Trek Fuel, and NRS maybe an option but the NRS is closest to a hardtail.

So far the 4" in the back has increased comfort level a ton, and 3hrs is as painful as 1.5hr was on the hardtail.