Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    381

    New question here. Light weight 6" of travel frame

    I'm looking for a frame with 6" of travel, relatively light weight, pedals well (most likely with a stable platform shock). And is at a good price. Anybody got any suggestions. If possible please leave a link.

    By the way I'm 5' 10", 180 lbs.

    The new frame will be used with a 6" travel fork.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

    -Ricko, mtbr member

  2. #2
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,270
    Quote Originally Posted by WeylessXPRider
    I'm looking for a frame with 6" of travel, relatively light weight, pedals well (most likely with a stable platform shock). And is at a good price. Anybody got any suggestions. If possible please leave a link.

    By the way I'm 5' 10", 180 lbs.

    The new frame will be used with a 6" travel fork.
    See the post titled "6 inch under 30 lbs" as this has been gone into pretty in depth.

    Depending on what you mean by "light" and a true 6", there is no such frame. Having said that, the only bike that meets the "light" criteria in my mind with "a good price" is definitely the Yeti 575 at only a tad under 6". I would defer to others in terms of whether or not the 6" fork would be a good option for full-time riding in 6" mode.

    In my mind, if you want a light long-travel bike (5.75" rear / 6" front), the optimal setup would be the Yeti and the Marzocchi All Mountain 1 fork. This fork will be under 5 lbs with the tube cut and can be set at 6" but for most of your riding, you can set it to 130mm. I love this fork. The Pike sounds great but if you are moving your wheelset over and it runs standard quick release, the Pike is not an option but if not, the price sure makes it tempting since you mention price as a factor. While it is not a 150mm fork it is only 10mm shy.

    Depending on what price range and what light means to you, I would certrainly have other opinions as well.

    I would ask the good folks at botiquebikes.com as they seem to know a ton about the Yeti.

    Cheers

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,494
    Quote Originally Posted by WeylessXPRider
    I'm looking for a frame with 6" of travel, relatively light weight, pedals well (most likely with a stable platform shock). And is at a good price. Anybody got any suggestions. If possible please leave a link.

    By the way I'm 5' 10", 180 lbs.

    The new frame will be used with a 6" travel fork.
    There is no 6" frame that is super light, but there are quite a few brands to consider that are not as heavy as a freeride bike. I just listed a bunch of bikes here of the top of my head and some, like the Banshee Chaparral are pretty heavy. None of these bikes I listed are dirt cheap, but brands like the Enduro, Prophet, Yeti, and Heckler can be had for a lower price point as can most bikes if you keep posted on deals, sales, etc.

    05 Specialized Enduro comes with an air shock.
    Cannondale Prophet
    Ellsworth Moment
    Marin attack trail
    Yeti 575
    Santa Cruz Heckler (with the DHX and 2.25" stroke 5th, gets 5.6" of travel)
    Foes FXR
    Whyte 46
    Intense 5.5
    Turner 6 pack
    Azonic sabre
    Banshee Chaparral
    Last edited by ronny; 12-05-2004 at 11:21 AM.

  4. #4
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,270
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    There is no 6" frame that is super light, but there are quite a few brands to consider that are not as heavy as a freeride bike. I just listed a bunch of bikes here of the top of my head and some, like the Banshee Chaparral are pretty heavy. None of these bikes I listed are dirt cheap, but brands like the Enduro, Prophet, Yeti, and Heckler can be had for a lower price point as can most bikes if you keep posted on deals, sales, etc.

    05 Specialized Enduro comes with an air shock.
    Cannondale Prophet
    Ellsworth Moment
    Marin attack trail
    Yeti 575
    Santa Cruz Heckler (with the DHX and 2.25" stroke 5th, gets 5.6" of travel)
    Foes FXR
    Whyte 46
    Intense 5.5
    Turner 6 pack
    Azonic sabre
    Banshee Chaparral
    Good list of bikes.

    However, this list provides a wide "range of weight" from the very low 6 pounds to just under 9 pounds (eg, Turner 6 pack 8.8 pounds) so that approx 3 lbs may make a difference to the poster. But some of the heavier models listed (Turner 6 pack) are phenomenal bikes of course and my be worth considering depending on riding but again, this covers a relatively wide range of weights of bikes and/or intended uses.

    My 2 favorite bike personally that can be or are approx 6" are the Ventana X-5 w/ 6" rockers (about 7.5 lbs) and Foes FXR (about 8 lbs) but all bikes listed are very good. If I were tougher on my All Mountain bike I would consider the Turner 6 pack but for my riding, that extra pound or so would be unnecessary for me.

    Cheers
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 12-05-2004 at 04:03 PM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    657
    giant ac's are awsome. Tehy have 5.3-6.3 inches in the rear, and as for as i know can take up to a 6 inch travel fork. Def. check them out. they make great trail/freerdie bikes

  6. #6
    a dad
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,780
    as always, i would highly recommend the yeti 575...frame is 6.2 lbs.
    BBZ

    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    381
    Yeah, I'm definitely not looking to have a 7 to 8 pound frame. but anything from 5.5 to 6.5 inches of travel will work, but I prefer to have something that will be most compatible with the new 6 inch travel fork that I'm going to be getting (The new Manitou Sherman Flick Plus).

    I'd like the frame to be under 7 Ibs.
    Last edited by WeylessXPRider; 12-05-2004 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Weight requirement
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

    -Ricko, mtbr member

  8. #8
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,200

    7lbs with the shock?

    Quote Originally Posted by WeylessXPRider
    Yeah, I'm definitely not looking to have a 7 to 8 pound frame. but anything from 5.5 to 6.5 inches of travel will work, but I prefer to have something that will be most compatible with the new 6 inch travel fork that I'm going to be getting (The new Manitou Sherman Flick Plus).

    I'd like the frame to be under 7 Ibs.
    so you want the frame and fork to be within a pound of each other? That fork is built for taking a beating, the frames that weigh under 7 pounds aren't going to be. I'd look for an all mountain fork if you're set on having an all mountain frame - Marz AM, Pike, Nixon - those are the forks I'd be looking at.
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  9. #9
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,270
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    so you want the frame and fork to be within a pound of each other? That fork is built for taking a beating, the frames that weigh under 7 pounds aren't going to be. I'd look for an all mountain fork if you're set on having an all mountain frame - Marz AM, Pike, Nixon - those are the forks I'd be looking at.
    I was going to say the same thing.

    The fork is a very nice one but is intended to be paired with a true All Mountain / Freeride bike. Any bike on the list with a coil shock is over 7 pounds. There is nothing awful with a bike between 7 and 8 pounds. At then end of the day, I do not think you will regret it. While I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I have taken my 42lb Bullit on 35 mile epic XC rides. A pound or 2 of non-rotating weight is not worth worrying about when you are talking about 6" travel.

    Having said all of this, the fork could work with the Yeti but it kind of doesn't make sense to work with that fork and be concerned with a bike frame being under 7 lbs, in my humble opinion.

    Cheers

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I was going to say the same thing.

    The fork is a very nice one but is intended to be paired with a true All Mountain / Freeride bike. Any bike on the list with a coil shock is over 7 pounds. There is nothing awful with a bike between 7 and 8 pounds. At then end of the day, I do not think you will regret it. While I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I have taken my 42lb Bullit on 35 mile epic XC rides. A pound or 2 of non-rotating weight is not worth worrying about when you are talking about 6" travel.

    Having said all of this, the fork could work with the Yeti but it kind of doesn't make sense to work with that fork and be concerned with a bike frame being under 7 lbs, in my humble opinion.

    Cheers

    I guess I'm worrying to much about weight then, I want something that will climb well though and have relatively good speed, started looking at the Ellsworth Moment and it looks like the perfect bike combined with the fork that I will be getting for my current bike.
    What are your opinions on this combination?
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

    -Ricko, mtbr member

  11. #11
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,270

    A very good choice

    Quote Originally Posted by WeylessXPRider
    I guess I'm worrying to much about weight then, I want something that will climb well though and have relatively good speed, started looking at the Ellsworth Moment and it looks like the perfect bike combined with the fork that I will be getting for my current bike.
    What are your opinions on this combination?
    I think the Moment will make a very good choice. While it is not cheap, it is a very sweet bike. It will climb quite well. Take a look at the Ellsworth forum as there have been several very good posts regarding the Ellsworth Moment. It will weight approximately 8.2 pounds but again, I dont think you should concern yourself too much with weight. Keep in mind, the lighter bikes in this group are lighter to a great extent because they use air shocks. A coil shock, on the average i believe, adds about a pound.

    Again, my favorite bikes in this "bucket of bikes" are the Ventana X-5 and Foes FXR, but that is purely my opinion. In my opinion of course, these are the stiffest bikes that can be had which is one of the primary reasons I like them so much.

    Read and ask around on the Ellsworth forum and I think you will get some very good info as it sounds like you are leaning towards the Moment. Also keep in mind, the DHX rear shock is very sweet and I think it is the standard shock on the Moment, but I could be wrong.

    Keep us posted.

    Cheers

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    381

    New question here. Ellsworth ID

    Could I get away with going with the Ellsworth ID than going with the Moment, when I'm doing trails and some Downhill courses?
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

    -Ricko, mtbr member

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    37

    Yeti 575 or Ventana X-5

    I think those two bikes would fit your description the best. Have a talk with either Don or Brian at boutiquebikes.com. They sell both bikes and could give you sound advice on which one would be best for you and what you are looking for in a bike.

  14. #14
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,464
    Quote Originally Posted by WeylessXPRider
    Could I get away with going with the Ellsworth ID than going with the Moment, when I'm doing trails and some Downhill courses?
    Stick to the Moment. The ID has a strange geometry that does not work for everyone and the weight differance between the 2 frame s is minimal. The Id will not work with a DHX either. Speedgoat had a deal on the Moment with the RS Pike and CK headset for $2500 - but not sure if it is still on. Beyond bikes is giving a free Talas RLC with each frame for $2295.
    Nothing to see here.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trailbildr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,777

    6"? Try 5"

    If you want a light weight six inch bike, you should do what I did: buy a 5" bike. The new stump 120 bikes are lighter or the same weight as last year's four inch bikes. the new Sworks 120 frame is lighter than last years stump 100 frame (anniversary bike).

    i have a 6" SWorks Enduro frame with Marz All Mtn 1 on the front and the whole package is way heavier.

    I have been doing four footers on the 120 and I've only had it a few weeks. With a Marathon SL 120 on the front (3.5lbs) and 2.5" tires on it, the bike is sub 27lbs. The stock bike with full xtr and fox fork is sub 26lbs. That's for a 120mm (5") bike!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,494

    Not a 6" bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr
    If you want a light weight six inch bike, you should do what I did: buy a 5" bike. The new stump 120 bikes are lighter or the same weight as last year's four inch bikes. the new Sworks 120 frame is lighter than last years stump 100 frame (anniversary bike).

    i have a 6" SWorks Enduro frame with Marz All Mtn 1 on the front and the whole package is way heavier.

    I have been doing four footers on the 120 and I've only had it a few weeks. With a Marathon SL 120 on the front (3.5lbs) and 2.5" tires on it, the bike is sub 27lbs. The stock bike with full xtr and fox fork is sub 26lbs. That's for a 120mm (5") bike!
    There is many 5" frames that can be built in the sub 30s. However, this guy wants a 6" travel bike. I think he realizes that a 5" bike can be built really light. The stumpjumper is a solid bike.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bogmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    451

    Good job! Ventana El Chamuco

    Check out a ventana el chamuco, 8 lbs with romic rear, 6 " travel singlepivot. It spanks the heckler in every way and you can find them for about a grand which is a savings of 1000 bucks over an ellsworth....and its born to be used with a 6" fork, i am using a sherman firefly on mine and it is sweet!!! give chad at www.redbarnbicycles.com a call and he will set you up!!

  18. #18
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,270
    Quote Originally Posted by bogmonster
    Check out a ventana el chamuco, 8 lbs with romic rear, 6 " travel singlepivot. It spanks the heckler in every way and you can find them for about a grand which is a savings of 1000 bucks over an ellsworth....and its born to be used with a 6" fork, i am using a sherman firefly on mine and it is sweet!!! give chad at www.redbarnbicycles.com a call and he will set you up!!
    great point for sure! if I was starting from scratch for my 6" ride, I would definitely consider this route as a very viable option. Sweet bike for sure and at $1000, cant be beat. I like about 70 degrees or perhaps a tad under for my general use ride but would still definitely consider it....its only about 68.5 or so isn't it? of course it depends on the fork.

    cheers

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bogmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    451

    69 my favorite!!

    I am running a large frame which has a head angle of 69 degrees which works for me..I am 5'10 and like running a long top tube and a short stem but thats me, my bike comes in at 32lbs with a fox vanilla i use sometimes up front, not bad for 6"!!! I am checking to see if i can fit a dhx on the rear, i know a 5th element will fit.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,494

    El Chamuco is no longer in production...I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by bogmonster
    Check out a ventana el chamuco, 8 lbs with romic rear, 6 " travel singlepivot. It spanks the heckler in every way and you can find them for about a grand which is a savings of 1000 bucks over an ellsworth....and its born to be used with a 6" fork, i am using a sherman firefly on mine and it is sweet!!! give chad at www.redbarnbicycles.com a call and he will set you up!!

    I have heard that the El chamuco has been discontinued, and that the El Chamuco is breaking when being ridden as a freeride bike which is what Ventana advertises the bike as in the first place. I would not recommend buying a bike that is no longer in production. I am not saying that the El Chamuco is a bad bike by any stretch. I was interested in one until I heard about the frame being discontinued and the breakage problems. As a trail bike I am sure the Chammy is fine, but I would not trust it for hucking, especially now that it is discontinued.

    I rarely hear of Heckler frame failures. Also, a heckler can easily take a 6" sc fork and many people are riding the Heckler with the Maverick and Marzocchi 6" fork. The Heckler also gets 5.6" of travel with the DHX or new 5th.

    I think the reason that the Chamuco is so cheap right now is that they are no longer being made. If you look on sites that are selling them for 1000 or less it is stated that this is for 04 only. No mention of 05 to be heard.
    Last edited by ronny; 12-11-2004 at 04:49 PM.

  21. #21
    MTB SOCAL
    Reputation: yangpei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,354

    Moment is a good bike

    I recently was shopping to build up a 6in travel trail bike in the ballpark of 31-32 lbs. I ended up with a 03 Titus Quasimoto with a Swinger 4way Air rear shock and a Firefly Plus 6 in fork. It's about 31 lbs and a blast to ride. I didn't go too light as I have a 4 in travel XC / trail bike (Spider). But, in my search, I was also very interested in the Moment. The Moment frame is about 8 lbs in medium (which is pretty light for a 6 in travel frame). I probably would have gotten the Moment if I didn't already have a Spider. Being a little lighter, the Moment may be a good choice for you.
    Kokopelli Racing

    "Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,624

    X5 and Yeti 575

    I recently decided to buy a lightweight 5-6" XC trailbike and looked in detail at every option under the sun. I started with the following shortlist:-

    Specialized Enduro
    Rocky Mountain Slayer
    Turner 5-spot
    Ventana X5
    Yeti 575
    Ellsworth Moment
    Marin Attack Trail
    Whyte 46

    After many hours of quality web research, I discounted the Enduro (all my mates have them!), RM Slayer (local dealer not very helpful), Moment (heard too many horror stories about the bike and company), Marin (questionable reliability) and Whyte (ugly pig and not well made) narrowing my choice down to:-

    Turner 5-spot
    Ventana X5
    Yeti 575

    I test rode these 3 bikes for at least a full day each on my local trails.

    I was a little disappointed with the Turner. The build quality was nothing special and it just didn't live up to all the Horst link hype. The Yeti was great fun and I was very nearly tempted. It was a great technical climber and very stable downhill. Finally, I tried the X5 and was massively impressed. It was better built and far more solid than the others. I really noticed the increased lateral stiffness, allowing it to track very true. It felt slightly heavier than the Yeti, but climbing was still efficient and descending was effortless. Cornering on singletrack was also fantastic. I couldn't really fault the Ventana in any way so I bought one with a 6" rocker.

  23. #23
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,270
    Quote Originally Posted by uktrailmonster
    I recently decided to buy a lightweight 5-6" XC trailbike and looked in detail at every option under the sun. I started with the following shortlist:-

    Specialized Enduro
    Rocky Mountain Slayer
    Turner 5-spot
    Ventana X5
    Yeti 575
    Ellsworth Moment
    Marin Attack Trail
    Whyte 46

    After many hours of quality web research, I discounted the Enduro (all my mates have them!), RM Slayer (local dealer not very helpful), Moment (heard too many horror stories about the bike and company), Marin (questionable reliability) and Whyte (ugly pig and not well made) narrowing my choice down to:-

    Turner 5-spot
    Ventana X5
    Yeti 575

    I test rode these 3 bikes for at least a full day each on my local trails.

    I was a little disappointed with the Turner. The build quality was nothing special and it just didn't live up to all the Horst link hype. The Yeti was great fun and I was very nearly tempted. It was a great technical climber and very stable downhill. Finally, I tried the X5 and was massively impressed. It was better built and far more solid than the others. I really noticed the increased lateral stiffness, allowing it to track very true. It felt slightly heavier than the Yeti, but climbing was still efficient and descending was effortless. Cornering on singletrack was also fantastic. I couldn't really fault the Ventana in any way so I bought one with a 6" rocker.
    Almost same exact story for me. Only difference is that I also STRONGLY considered the Foes FXR. I love that bike!!!

    I have the same impression of the bikes listed and for me, it came down to the X-5 and Foes. I would have been happy with either I am sure. I have no regrets at all about the X-5 and if I did it all over again, I think it would result in another coin flip between the 2.

    Cheers

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    381
    Anybody have any experience with the Le Dude 2 frame by 24 Bicycles?
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

    -Ricko, mtbr member

Similar Threads

  1. WalMart bike kicked my Ibis's ass!!
    By Itripper in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 02:38 PM
  2. If you need to know this.
    By KevinVokeyJ24 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 09:40 AM
  3. Recommend me a 6" travel frame.
    By FISHLEG in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 12:35 PM
  4. A light 6" travel bike is here! The future is now....
    By Jaybo in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 10:49 AM
  5. The Official Weight Weenies F.A.Q
    By Trevor! in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 01:31 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.