kona shred or specialized p.2?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

kona shred or specialized p.2?

I cannot decide between these two bikes, and maybe somebody can help. Whatever I decide on will be used actually very little for dirt jumping, and mostly for some small freeride/downhill stuff I have around the house. It will also be used as a second bike for when friends want to come ride XC with me. They can take my Fisher, I'll ride the heavy dirt jumper for a good workout, although I have heard these bikes climb fairly well for what they are. I really don't see myself dropping more than 3 feet for quite some time, and I will have some nice transistions built, so there shouldnt be too much stress put on the bike. Ofcourse I am new at this, so the bike will have to survive my learning curve. These are the only two sub $1000 bikes I know of, and if there are more bikes out there that may be suitable, let me know! Maybe a used Kona Dawg? Thanks so much
    Russell

SuperInstigator
    Out, of those two, the P2 all the way. It has a much better parts spec.

But if you want a more freeride/occasional xc oriented bike, check out the Ironhorse Yakuza Bakuto. it has a much better parts spec for less money, and a probably more capable XC bike than the p2 or shred.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the reply man. I thought nobody was gonna. I am supposed to go look at a Norco VPS 6 tonight, but if that falls through, I will definately take a look at that bike. I just checked out the link...it looks pretty nice

SuperInstigator
    Ahh, so you are also considering FS bikes. The VPS 6 looks nice, 6 in. travel, great for an all around bike, but I'm not sure of the weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yea I am open to all sorts of bikes that can takes some drops, jumps, and fast dowhill. Ofcourse FS would be ideal, but at the time of this post it was just out of the question due to cost. Then the Norco offer came up, but it wasnt in as good of shape as he tried to make it sound. So now I am probably back to hard tail, which is still OK. A local man is selling a gently used (so he says) '06 Scrap for $500. I'm gonna check that out.

SuperInstigator
    Here is another bike that are nice...YEA IRONHORSE!

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....9&category=394

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thats a great price. So that really is a nice bike?

SuperInstigator
    Well, it got 4.13 out of 5 on mtbr. If your budget is around 1000, and you buy that bike then I would upgrade to Sram X9 rear derailleur and X7 shifters, but of course you can just beat the parts until they die.

This one got 4.19/5...
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....9&category=394

This one got 4.55/5...
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7980/.f

I don't have much personal experience with Ironhorse, but I think the reviews speak for themselves. The only thing that I think you absolutely should upgrade is the rear derailleur on the Warrior Trail and the Aniki to either a Shimano LX/XT or Sram X.7/X.9 and maybe the rear shock depending on what you think of it (too firm/soft). I don't like the fork on the warrior pro either. As I said, you can just run the parts the bike comes with to the ground and then upgrade, actually that is what I'd do.

However, if you're looking at a bike in the less than 1000 range, seriously consider a hardtail, because you will get better components for the same $.

This bike is nice too, and you won't need any upgrading. It looks like a XC race bike, but it has up to 5 in. travel front and rear and a really nice fork and for footers, this bike shall be fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0