Kona Dawg v Turner 5 Spot- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Kona Dawg v Turner 5 Spot

Anyone ridden both??
    With Turner going to the TNT pivot, it seems the two frames are virtualy alike.
    I'm looking for just a frame and as of now the 06 Dawg frames havent' been priced. But, I'd expect it to be almost 1/2 the price of the Turners. I know there is a big price gap, but forget about that for a moment.

I'm just wondering if the Turner rides that much better than the Kona, or is the Kona a real bagin that performs just as well.

Also, anyone know the weight of the Dawg frame. I've searched the forums and folks say it's heavy but these are stock builds (and the low end ones at that) they are refering to.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark M13; 10-22-2005 at 06:18 PM.
    "Climbers don't hurt any less than others;
    they're just more comfortable being there."
    "Il Pirata"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M13
    Anyone ridden both??
    With Turner going to the TNT pivot, it seems the two frames are virtualy alike.
    I'm looking for just a frame and as of now the 06 Dawg frames havent' been priced. But, I'd expect it to be almost 1/2 the price of the Turners. I know there is a big price gap, but forget about that for a moment.

I'm just wondering if the Turner rides that much better than the Kona, or is the Kona a real bagin that performs just as well.

Also, anyone know the weight of the Dawg frame. I've searched the forums and folks say it's heavy but these are stock builds (and the low end ones at that) they are refering to.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark
    I own both a Real-Turner (5-spot) and a Kona scandium hardtail, and I had some time on a Dwang back when I was shopping around for a new frame and I liked it (very solid feeling, spotless handling and very stable on downhill)

Quality wise my Kona Scandium is outstanding, I find attention to details (like welding of cable stops, and disk cable guides) arguably better than on my 5-spot (where the cable guides and seatpost brace are roughly welded) so I am not really sure what 100% more $$ would buy you ... but I might be wrong ... both will last you a decade anyway. If you want to go high end, and insist on a faux-bar-system, I would look at Ventana (or Blur LT or DW).

My guess is that performance between a Dwang and a Faux-Turner will be basically the same. When comparing rear-end stifness be aware that wheels, tires and shock influence the perception A LOT.

I always thought my 5-spot was relatively "wabbly" but since I installed a new shock (RP3 Pushed) the wabbly feeling has gone. What I perceived as "lack-of-rigidity" was the Romic being not firm enough in the mid range of its travel ...
    Last edited by Davide; 10-22-2005 at 04:43 PM.

banned
    Davide is a troll, so don't mind him. Look at his post history and the responses by many after him.

rmb
    mtbr member
    I have a 2004 (4" bike) Kona Dawg Dee Lux, with upgrades, and it weighs 28 lbs. It is an excellent bike IMO. You should be able to get the frame weights on Konaworld.com, tech section. I tried to get the weight but the comptuer I'm on now does not have Excel and the info is in that format.

I have many miles on the DAWG with no problems, however you do notice a bit of flex in the rear when you push it hard. I can't compare rides, although I think the Turner will be stiff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Davide is a troll, so don't mind him. Look at his post history and the responses by many after him.
    I think your name says it all

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb
    I have a 2004 (4" bike) Kona Dawg Dee Lux, with upgrades, and it weighs 28 lbs. It is an excellent bike IMO. You should be able to get the frame weights on Konaworld.com, tech section. I tried to get the weight but the comptuer I'm on now does not have Excel and the info is in that format.

I have many miles on the DAWG with no problems, however you do notice a bit of flex in the rear when you push it hard. I can't compare rides, although I think the Turner will be stiff.
    For 05 tha Dawg got its flexi rear end beefed up significantly.
    My 05 17" Dee-Lux weighs 30.5 lbs on the bathroom scale. Kona, unlike most companies, post their bike weights on their site.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

banned
    I have a local shop at which they stock all the Konas. I rode them, as well as on the trails. The geometry is different from Turner. The suspension dynamics are completely different and a bit more compliant leading in. The Turner rear feels more even throughout its travel. I can't notice the brake jacking on the longer travel Konas (have not ridden the short travel models). The Horst Turner seems a bit stiffer, but it's made for pedaling *hard*.

I would not say the Kona is bad. It is different. Perhaps a different rider would enjoy it over a Turner in terms of geometry and feel, the same as I enjoy the Turner feel.

The build quality is good on Kona, but not as good as Turner. No way. You will also see less intricate machine work on Kona.

Members who have read this thread: 0