KONA Coiler vs. Jamis 2.0- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

New question here. KONA Coiler vs. Jamis 2.0

I am looking for all mountain bike. I like to ride technical trails and then spend few days riding down hill. Read reviews for Kona Coiler and Jamis XLT 2.0, both bikes get pretty good reviews. Which bike is better? Dose any one have either bike that can share some really life experience?
    Also, my girlfriend is looking for all mountain bike. She looked at Cake GS and Stumpjumper. Any ladies that may help her decide which bike is better?
    Our budget is between $1,500 and $2,000 per bike.

Thank you,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Kona weighs in at around 36 lbs and can take all kinds of abuse. The Jamis will weigh around 30 lbs and is no where near as beefy as the Kona. I have both an 04 Stinky, same frame as the Coiler and an 04 1.0. I wouldn't hesitate in doing drops of over 5' on the Coiler, my 1.0 scares me anything over 3'.

I think the Jamis could be built up slightly beefer, but it will still take no where near the abuse the Kona could. The Kona on the other hand could drop some weight and still be plently beefer than the Jamis.

I'm feeling dirty, you?

Different styles.

These two bikes, the Kona and the Jamis are two different bikes.

The Kona Coiler is a "freeride" bike, a Stinky junior as I'll put it. It's beefy, built to handle larger drops. It's built for abuse. It may have the same travel as the Jamis but it's significantly heavier because of the purpose it was built for.

The Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0 is a XM (cross-mountain) bike, it's for XC riders that want a bike that is not fagile. Kona make a range of XM bikes with their "back country" range of bikes : Dawg but with 100mm travel both ends. With XM riders, we want 125mm-ish travel both ends, disc brakes, riser bars and the equally XC-ish climbing ability and not crawl our way down hill, a more efficent freeride.

Personally I'll go the Jamis because I've always prefered the XM lifestyle coming from a XC background that don't mind drop offs. Not too butch, not fragile, just damn efficent fun. Plus a bonus with the Jamis you'll get SPV both ends, Avid Juicy7 disc brakes.

I myself am currently saving for a Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0, it's fit and you know it. Ahh.... I'm drewling. It's no Ellsworth but hey the Ellsworth Truth XM (my dream bike #1) will be built slowly from the frame, and I mean slowly.

Respect, jonowee

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I hope the 04 xlt fixes the 03s issues. I blew out bearing (165 lb, bearings properly installed), and had a faulty seatstay that was the culprit (not the chainstay breakage everyone had). Took Jamis 4 months (no exaggeration) to get the dealer the right part. Jamis has the worst customer service in the business, so I've been told.

I got rid of the frame. Never again, Jamis.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Smile

Thanks for the input.