Klein? help fast!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Klein? help fast!

ok well, i went to my local bike shop, (trek) and they had a klein in stock

it is a 2003 model, brand new

the salesman, said it was 1500$ but he said he would give me it WITH hydraulic disk brakes for 1400$

i dont know if they all come with them or what.

OR he said he would give it to me with v-brakes for 1100$, WHAT ON EARTH ARE V BRAKES

i dont know anything about hydraulic disk brakes, are they good?

thanks in adance,tyler

I live to bike
    V brakes are rim brakes--the brake pads squeeze the rim to stop the wheel.

Disc brakes have a thin disc attached to the hub. A caliper mounted to the fork presses pads against the rotor to stop the wheel.

Hydraulic discs utilize a fluid-filled line to activate the caliper as opposed to a wire like a cable disc brake. Hydraulic disc brakes provide noticeably more stopping power and better modulation (ability to control how hard the brakes grab) than V brakes. Also disc brakes fade less--the are less likely to lose power after a long descent or in the wet)

Since you are obviously new to the sport, see if they'll put cable disc brakes on instead of the V-brakes for the price of the V-brakes. As a new rider, you will probably not need hydraulic disc brakes, but cable disc brakes would be a good choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You should get a sizable discount for a 3 y/o bike, but I don't know how much it was new...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thanks much

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    What brand/model hydraulic disc brakes? What about the V brakes? ...the wheelset for each? The $300 difference is really disc brakes plus disc wheelsets as you cannot use ordinary wheelsets with disc brakes. You might as well ask brand/model of suspension fork and components also? Wait, you didin't say what model Klein it is. Ask that too or look on the toptube if it says Adroit, Attitude, etc. I don't know if Klein still puts out a lot of models. I have a '98 Klein Attitude Pro; see below: FWIW, Kleins are one of the best hardtails money can buy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    If memory serves, in 2003, Klein was still producing the Attitude (HT) and Palamino (FS). Which one are you looking at? I got my 2000 Attitude brand new a year old, and paid almost exactly what your LBS is asking, so I'd see about sweetening the deal a little. See what else they're willing to throw in. It's a great bike, but the deal doesn't really match up to what's available. *shrug*

Just my suggestions. Take them or leave them, but I can say that if it's your size, you're not likely to find a nicer bike out there for the money.

Best of luck and let us know what you end up doing!

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thanks,im going to the lbs today or tomorrow to check it out, ill tell you then

Members who have read this thread: 0