K2 Lithium or Giant NRS????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

K2 Lithium or Giant NRS????

I've currently got a K2 Lithium. When I bought it I was trail riding, and progressing to bigger drops. I'm not so keen on that anymore and want to get more into more cross country focussed riding. I don't know if I should keep the Lithium and replace the wheels/stem to make it a bit lighter and change the geometry, or if I should buy a NRS3 which is more cross country focused with the NRS system. Could I make the Lithium into a better than average cross country bike?

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Unless you plan on competing, the Lithium is XC-able. If you have the model with the Black or Minute fork, that should make a nice sturdier XC bike for daily life.

Just keep it in the 4" travel setting and put on some XC tires. Switching out trail tires and putting on XC tires will make the bike feel lighter and snappier. You'll be suprised at how much lighter the bike can feel with something shorter knobs for less rolling resistance.

Try the tire change route. It's cheaper and might be an easy solution.

If you have the air shock model, increase the PSI a tad for a firmer rear end.

My 4" travel XC bike, a KHS 304 frame I built up, is 32 pounds and feels very fast because I have Hutchinson Python tires on it. A very fast tire. Unfortunately, also a very fast wearing tire.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I have an NRS Composite and it is a very fast bike compared to my 03 enduro comp. But the enduro when setup with a faster tire made for a pretty capable XC bike. I would try the tires first. I tried to lighten up my enduro but it made little difference. I will tell you that nothing climbs like an NRS. Even the Blur and Truth can't beat the NRS on climbing and fast flats. Downhill is another story when under braking the NRS can be a bit harsh and likes to lockup the rear tire.