Just got back into it, got a khs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Just got back into it, got a khs

so I used to do alot of mountain biking back in highschool, I had a Giant iguana back then and it was a good bike.
    life got in the way for a while but now that my kids are getting older im starting to get back into it,
    I recently purchased a used KHS fxt trail off a friend and im looking at upgrading alot of stuff since its pretty much stock
    I also find the rear shock is quite soft, but i weigh 238 lbs
    Can you guys help me get on the right track as to what parts I can get cheap to make this a good bike for trail/some road

thanks
    sorry if I didint post this in the right place im new here

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pleadguitar
    so I used to do alot of mountain biking back in highschool, I had a Giant iguana back then and it was a good bike.
    life got in the way for a while but now that my kids are getting older im starting to get back into it,
    I recently purchased a used KHS fxt trail off a friend and im looking at upgrading alot of stuff since its pretty much stock
    I also find the rear shock is quite soft, but i weigh 238 lbs
    Can you guys help me get on the right track as to what parts I can get cheap to make this a good bike for trail/some road

thanks
    sorry if I didint post this in the right place im new here

I would not put any money into that bike. KHS makes some legit mountain bikes..... but this is not one of them. By the time you replace what is needed to make this a half decent mtb, (frame, fork, wheels and brakes just for starters) you will basically be building a new bike (piece by piece), and will end up paying a LOT more than you would if you just bought a complete bike.

If you want to upgrade, save for a better bike, and just ride this one as is.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Maybe new tires. Hard to tell, but the rear looks pretty worn. Maybe new brake pads, too.

Hope it was a steal.

mtbr member
    80 bucks, id say thats a steal, not bad?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    80 bucks, id say thats a steal, not bad?
    Yes, that was a fine deal for that bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Agreed. Ride the heck out of it and have fun!

And maybe you can turn in that coil adjustment to firm up the rear a little bit. Looks pretty far in already though.

mtbr member
    i will
    i actually really like the frame, its solid thats for sure, i dont mind the weight.
    im a big guy anyway(240 lbs)
    im gonna buy some new tires and a rear wheel since tis ones pretty messed up, i may upgrade a few things on it in the near future when i can afford it
    I think it can make a decent project bike anyway, even if i do endup spending more on it in the long run then it woudl have cost me to buy a decent bike in the first place lol
    Im using it for trail riding and riding around town with my 2 little boys ages 6 and 8

the rear is pretty stiff right now as is the front and im fine with that, I was originally going to buy a hardtail anyway.

anyone got any suggestions for good wheels and tires that wont break the bank?

got a new seat for it today too!

Last edited by pleadguitar; 08-21-2010 at 06:46 PM.

AZ
    banned
    IMHO , I would not upgrade , ride it until you buy another ride . A new wheel set could easily pay for an entry level hard tail . My two cents . Good luck .

mtbr member
    wow it cant be that bad...
    hows these wheels?
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/NIB-26-ATB-MTB-MO...ts_Accessories

and ive already got the disc brakes just need wheels that will accept them

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, no one can't stop you from doing anything. Having said that, try to buy stuff that will transfer over to a new bike build somewhere down the road. Look for deals on Spadout.com -- it's a search site.

Go for folding bead tires. High volume. You can get okay rims inexpensively. Just make sure you get stuff that is compatible. Don't make impulse buys until you've researched. Posting for help in the various forums will net you a lot of good advice.

Again, think very hard about what Kapusta said about sinking money into this ride.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hows these wheels?
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/NIB-26-ATB-MTB-MO...ts_Accessories

and ive already got the disc brakes just need wheels that will accept them
    The frame won't accept disc brakes. Sorry.

mtbr member
    are you sure?
    well i know the fork will, maybe i shoudl just go with these then:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-PAIR-VUELTA-2...ts_Accessories
    and not bother with disc brakes
    i had salvaged some disk brake stuff off a friends bike that some kids trashed on him but i guess I can only use the front end stuff

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't see mounting tabs on the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Is this Aprils fools in August?
    Stop it, that seat you bought weighs more then both my wheels put together

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    are you sure?
    well i know the fork will, maybe i shoudl just go with these then:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-PAIR-VUELTA-2...ts_Accessories
    and not bother with disc brakes
    i had salvaged some disk brake stuff off a friends bike that some kids trashed on him but i guess I can only use the front end stuff
    Go with a 32 or 36 spoke count per wheel. At your weight, stay away from anything "race" or "lite" at that price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HikerToo
    Is this Aprils fools in August?
    Stop it, that seat you bought weighs more then both my wheels put together
    i dont care howmuch it weighs, its quite comfortable!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    pleadguitar-

Minor point of proper mtb protocol here, you might want to lose the reflectors blinding us in the picture. Now that's a cheap, easy, noncontroversial upgrade for your ride we can all agree on (unless you're either riding around town at night a lot and then you'd really need a proper light setup anyway or else your state's laws are really that strict about them).

As far as plowing major money into this ride, I wouldn't. Do only what's necessary for safety's sake and start researching/saving for your next ride. Good luck!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Yes it can.

Look, it was a fine buy for $80, but keep in mind this bike is something like $300 new. That is really, really, really low end for a FS bike.

That frame is not going to serve you well. That rear shock is garbage for serious off-road riding. Same with the fork. Same with the wheels (as evidenced by the fact that you are already having to replace one of them). It's all fine for what you paid for it, and if well maintained it would be a fine bike to start out on the trails with (if you treat it gently), but do not expect the frame, fork, shock, or wheels to last very long if you get serious about riding off road. It simply was not made to take the beating. After you end up replacing the wheels, fork, and shock (and possibly the frame), you are going to have spent enough to buy an respectable hardtail which will be significantly better equipped than what you will have.

I have been in your position (13 years ago), with people telling me not to bother dumping money into a really low end ride, and it took me a while to realize they were right, and I wasted a lot of money in the process.

If you are going to spend money on this thing, like someone above said, spend it on things that can be used with the bike that you will replace this one with (trust us, you WILL end up replacing this if you get into riding trails). Good tires are the biggest bang for the buck, IMO, and since they are wear items, you can use it on your next bike. Good pedals and shoes (flats or clipless) are a good investment.

I would really advise against dropping $100+ into a set of wheels for this. Just find the cheapest used rear wheel to keep you going, and put that $100 towards something better suited for trail riding.

mtbr member
    ok thanks for the advice guys, i wont spend much on this thing then, ill just ride it into the ground and save up for a better bike, i have wheels off my old norco scrambler i can put on this for now too

Last edited by pleadguitar; 08-24-2010 at 05:54 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I know that you decided against getting a new wheelset for this bike, but just for future reference, stay away sub-32 spoke wheels for trail riding. They don't have nearly the same strength as 32 or 36 spoke wheels.

mtbr member
    ok thanks for the advice

I might still buy new wheels for it once i break these cheap ones though..i will have no choice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    pleadguitar, I know everyone has given you their opinion. But I'm going to give you mie as well.
    When I first started riding, I had a Rockhopper and my buddy had a Walmart Mongoose. My bike was about $500, his about $250. 10 minutes into the trail his handlebars stripped and we could barely get them tight enough to keep riding. Next his seat broke. This was on the way back to the car. Then a pedal broke as he was standing and pedaling back. Ended up walking the rest. This was all in THE FIRST MILE of trail. Unfortunately, your bike is about on the same level, maybe slightly better.

Compare it to the electric guitars that you can buy in a department store. Would you spend any money on upgrading/repairing one of those just because it turns on and you can "play" it? This bike is the same as that dept store guitar. Keep it to gravel trails and you'll be OK. Ride it hard and you're in trouble.

Don't spend a dime on anything other than tires and save for a new bike. A new used bike is even another option. Just don't look to spend $80 to get out on the trails. $300-400 on a used bike willl get you in the ball game.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    pleadguitar, I know everyone has given you their opinion. But I'm going to give you mie as well.
    When I first started riding, I had a Rockhopper and my buddy had a Walmart Mongoose. My bike was about $500, his about $250. 10 minutes into the trail his handlebars stripped and we could barely get them tight enough to keep riding. Next his seat broke. This was on the way back to the car. Then a pedal broke as he was standing and pedaling back. Ended up walking the rest. This was all in THE FIRST MILE of trail. Unfortunately, your bike is about on the same level, maybe slightly better.

Compare it to the electric guitars that you can buy in a department store. Would you spend any money on upgrading/repairing one of those just because it turns on and you can "play" it? This bike is the same as that dept store guitar. Keep it to gravel trails and you'll be OK. Ride it hard and you're in trouble.

Don't spend a dime on anything other than tires and save for a new bike. A new used bike is even another option. Just don't look to spend $80 to get out on the trails. $300-400 on a used bike willl get you in the ball game.
    well ive been riding the trails every day since i got this bike, and these are some pretty gnarly trails, and so far nothing has broken.
    seems like this bike is very underrated imho
    then again maybe its the rider not the bike...
    i havent bottomed out the suspension yet either and im a heavy guy!
    and i laughed my butt off when i saw a guy carrying a expensive norco out of the trail on his shouler lmao

Members who have read this thread: 0