mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Juliana Furtado frame

I am planning on getting a Juliana Furtado. I am 5’1” , 27” inseame. Looking for recommendations on wether to get an XS frame or S frame. I used to have a Santa Cruz Superlight Juliana in an XS frame but it looks like the XS frames have gotten smaller. I think they used to have a range of 4’10 - 5’ 3” but now it s 4’ 8 - 5’ 2”.
    Thank you for the help

Magically Delicious
    I suspect that you've answered your own question, but you should prolly try and find an XS frame to test ride and make that determination.

My wife is 5'5" and rides a Small. It fits her perfectly. We were unable to find anyone that carried either a Small or Extra Small to demo. Personally, I would go by the sizing suggestions from Santa Cruz/Juliana. Good luck!
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Update: I was lucky enough to find a small frame to test ride and it was to big....seat wouldn’t go low enough for me to be able to pedal comfortably. Just ordered the XS 😀

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raph1978 View Post
    Update: I was lucky enough to find a small frame to test ride and it was to big....seat wouldn’t go low enough for me to be able to pedal comfortably. Just ordered the XS 
    might be too late for this, but you know a seatpost can be cut if it's too long to fit in the frame, right? chances are, mtb seatposts typically come in very long lengths so that they can be used by tall people. they are easy to cut down.

a mountain bike should not be sized solely on the basis of how it fits from a static, seated position. the effective reach is 100% more important. pick a frame size that allows you to sort that out with the stem and handlebar that provide the handling characteristics you want, then put the saddle where it needs to be for efficient pedaling. if that means a shorter seatpost, or cutting the existing post, so be it.

however, at your height, an extra-small makes sense. I just didn't want to leave you thinking that the length of the uncut seatpost should determine what size frame you ride.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    you know a seatpost can be cut if it's too long to fit in the frame, right? chances are, mtb seatposts typically come in very long lengths so that they can be used by tall people. they are easy to cut down.
    ...unless it's a dropper post, something many of us wouldn't consider riding without these days.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Nah, just cut the dropper post and rub some WD-40 on it and it'll be fine.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Raph1978 View Post
    Update: I was lucky enough to find a small frame to test ride and it was to big....seat wouldn’t go low enough for me to be able to pedal comfortably. Just ordered the XS 😀
    My wife, who is 5'3, had the same scenario. And her old bike was a small 2010 Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon.

Her height suggests a small frame from most companies. Some people were REALLY insistent that she needed to buy a small frame bike. And Santa Cruz/Juliana bikes run a bit small, anyway. I'm a medium on most companies' bikes, and I have to size UP to a large for Santa Cruz because I have long arms.

Even "hacking" a shorter seatpost by lowering the dropper so she could pedal it, smalls were too big for her. My wife's short arms don't play nice with modern longer reach bikes. So my wife had to size DOWN on the xs Juliana Furtado. We drove over 400mi last minute so she could attend a demo ride where they had XS Furtados on the truck. She rode a few other bikes from other brands on the same trip (in small, since those brands didn't offer xs frames), and the xs Furtado was definitely "the bike" that fit. She's been riding it for about a year now, and she loves it.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Nah, just cut the dropper post and rub some WD-40 on it and it'll be fine.
    Yuppers! Makes it lighter, too! Win/win.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Magically Delicious
    Hey Nate, I didn't know your wife had a Furtado.

How does she like it? Any issues?

We built hers up from a Christmas acquired frame and have been exceptionally pleased.

Juliana Furtado frame-20171222_191350.jpg

Juliana Furtado frame-20180209_171536.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Yuppers! Makes it lighter, too! Win/win.
    =sParty
    I'm installing my first dropper today and will [bold] definitely[/bold] do this. Thanks guys!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Hey Nate, I didn't know your wife had a Furtado.

How does she like it? Any issues?

30173840_10213536169091371_1831320400_o by Nate, on Flickr
    photo courtesy a friend, Greg, when we were riding Dupont with a journalist friend who was working on a few projects.

She loves it. The only things we did to it after buying it were to trim the bars for fitment, and replace the plunger-style reverb lever for the brand new (at the time) 1x lever. I think she's at 740mm now on her bars. After we moved to Asheville, I also ended up putting a smaller chainring on it to give her lower climbing gearing. I may, when it needs it, replace the cassette with an e.thirteen 11-46, also. I think she'll appreciate the stump-puller 28/46 when we do long rides and she's trashed. Our rides have been shorter since we moved here as we both get used to the longer, bigger climbs. She also misses the i9 wheels she had on her previous bike, so I will probably at some point get her an i9 wheelset for this one.

But I'm next for a larger bike purchase. I have been looking at a bunch of different stuff, and for that matter, we bought a house last fall and have a number of projects lined up for it. So it'll be awhile off, I'm sure.

Magically Delicious
    We trimmed her bars to 720 mm. The cassette is a SRAM GX-1150, 10-42t with a 32t up front. We picked up in the I-9 Trail 845’s for a deal.

House projects usually set precedent over fun things.