ride hard

joker for more aggressive riding?

i like the atlas design and the romic shock, but oculd i use this for more aggressive riding? im thinking of putting a dual crown fork and be able to downhill and freeride as well as urban assault and jumping.
    Live to Ride, Ride to live

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

For sure.

Quote Originally Posted by the mtn man
    i like the atlas design and the romic shock, but oculd i use this for more aggressive riding? im thinking of putting a dual crown fork and be able to downhill and freeride as well as urban assault and jumping.
    The new Joker SL has 7" of rear travel and was originally designed to withstand more abuse than the old 6" version Joker. More travel and the 1.5" headtube option and stronger swingarm are examples. I rode a Joker for the summer and used if for freeriding and aggressive trailriding and it held up fine. The Joker is the same kind of bike as the SC Bullit, Yeti ASX, Cannondale Gemini, etc. You can also ride the Joker with a 5" shock if you choose. The Joker is approved for a dual crown fork and the angles of the frame are on the freeride side of the spectrum. 67dg head angle and 69.5dg (or close) seat tube angle.

I have not heard of any 04 frame failures yet, which is a good thing considering 05 is just around the corner. Ellsworth has a bad reputation with warranty work and frame failures but I think that T.E. did his homework on the 04 Joker. It is a sick ride.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

ventana...

i rarely hang out here, but i think i'll take a stab at your question.

have you looked at the ventana el chamuco??? 7" of travel via a romic and they are pretty nice. it's also a single pivot like the joker (if my memory serves me correctly) also, you'll hear nothing but great stuff about sherwood at ventana.

if you check out the banner at the top of this forum, go-ride.com has the chamuco on sale for $1000.

and, i'm sure larry mettler at www.mtnhighcyclery.com can hook you up with a great price and amazing customer service. oh...he doesn't carry ellsworth stuff though.

cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Not the right bike for what he has in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    i rarely hang out here, but i think i'll take a stab at your question.

have you looked at the ventana el chamuco??? 7" of travel via a romic and they are pretty nice. it's also a single pivot like the joker (if my memory serves me correctly) also, you'll hear nothing but great stuff about sherwood at ventana.

if you check out the banner at the top of this forum, go-ride.com has the chamuco on sale for $1000.

and, i'm sure larry mettler at www.mtnhighcyclery.com can hook you up with a great price and amazing customer service. oh...he doesn't carry ellsworth stuff though.

cheers!
    The El Chamuco has 6" of travel not 7" and it is a trailbike not a freeride bike. I know Ventana advertises the Chammy as a freeride bike, but have since changed its intended function to trailriding. I have never ridden the El Chamuco but I have been reading a lot of threads about it and the frame has been breaking from riding outside of intended limits. I also heard that Ventana is not going to be producing the El Chamuco anymore. So if someone wants one they have to buy it before it is out of stock.
    Last edited by ronny; 11-06-2004 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Clarity

ride hard
    how do you guys thing it would do with a dc like a 2003 super t? what would that do to the angles of the ht and stuff like that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

It will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by the mtn man
    how do you guys thing it would do with a dc like a 2003 super t? what would that do to the angles of the ht and stuff like that.
    Throwing a dc on a joker will slacken the ht a bit but not so much that you wont be able to go up a hill or two. I had the Sherman breakout 6" fork on mine and it was perfect for the riding I was doing. ie xc and freeriding. I could still go off of all but the biggest drops and still have a light fork for trailriding.

ride hard
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    Throwing a dc on a joker will slacken the ht a bit but not so much that you wont be able to go up a hill or two. I had the Sherman breakout 6" fork on mine and it was perfect for the riding I was doing. ie xc and freeriding. I could still go off of all but the biggest drops and still have a light fork for trailriding.
    another question. i like the idea of a joker for trailriding and jumping and freeriding, but how will it downhill with a good fork? how would it compare to a big it on the downhill?