Jamis Frames- Mtbr.com

Thread: Jamis Frames

mtbr member
    May 2005

Jamis Frames

Need some advice. I have been looking at buying either a Jamis Dragon (853 Steel) or the Jamis Dakota Elite (Aluminum with carbon seat stays). I have been riding a dual suspension for about 8 years now and my frame has become pretty beat up. Most of the trails along the front range begin by going straight up for about 5 miles...maybe a little exaggeration there but I want something that climbs well and won't beat me up too bad. If anyone has any experience with these frames or could recommend others similar I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I'd get the dragon over the dakota myself. Carbon seatstays make such a minor difference on an Al hardtail in comfort level, that you find yourself wishing they'd just made the frame in steel instead.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Its not that 853 is a magic steel, any XC chromoly frame would do pretty much other than oh, a Surly Instigator (which its rather over-built I find). I'd personally look at a Soma myself as they use Tange Prestige steel if I was shopping for a new steel hardtail frame.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I was actually making this same decision several months ago. Both frames are good high quality frames. Both are made by Kinesis in Taiwan. And they weigh almost the same (the Dragon frame is maybe 0.5 lbs heavier). For me it was a question of feel. I have always liked the stiffness of an aluminum frame (a lot of people don't). I love the way an aluminum frame feels when you are hammering. The carbon seat stays are good, but don't expect any miracles or for it to be like suspension. But it is a comfortable frame for aluminum. The Dragon is going to be stronger, and will probably last a lifetime. Also it may absorb vibrations better being that it is steel. If possible test ride both bikes and see which one feels best to you. Also you may want to look into a modern dual suspension. Suspension designs have come a long way in 8 years. Many of todays modern designs are really light and climb really well.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Smile

I had originally thought of going with another dual suspension but I would like to try something different for a while. I won't be able to test drive the frames, I will be switching the parts from my dual suspension to the new hardtail frame. Most of the parts on it have been upgraded over the years and are still in good condition. After reading your replies it looks like I am going to go for the Dragon Pro. I really appreciate the advice.

Members who have read this thread: 0