Ironing Out A Chameleon Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ironing Out A Chameleon Build

hey everyone, I've been browsing the forum for a while and saving for a while longer and it's finally getting time for me to build my new bike!

This will be my first seriously spec'd out bike, though I've ridden various level Rockhopper's, Trail SL 29er's, etc in addition to my own 2007 RH (volunteer as an Instructor so I have options when riding)

I've rode a few full suspension bikes (Blur LT, Fuel EX) and don't feel like I'm ready for one yet - It was heavier and the power loss was something I still am not a fan of until I get into different styles of riding.

Anyways, below is the build I have spec'd out as well as a couple questions - any input would be greatly appreciated!

Q's

- While Santa Cruz's site states that the rear can accommodate a 2.5" tire many posts I've read have said it does not and I see a good bit of people with 2.1's in the back and 2.35's up front.. Can any Chameleon owners out there with experience verify if you can run 2.35's in the back? It's what's in the pic on their website so I'd assume it's okay but you never know...

- I want a bomb-proof hardtail. I do XC riding, hit the DH's whenever I find them and in general want this bike set up as an AM rig - should I go for a slightly shorter stem?

- Santa Cruz frames generally run small - I'm 6' 2" but pretty light, for flick-ability I'm good with the Large over the XL right?

Anyways, still trying to see if I can cut some corners as whole thing is going to run me about 2k - I'll definitely toss up some pictures once things start to get under way!

Large Seabright Blue Santa Cruz Chameleon

Thomson 30.9 x 410mm Blk seatpost
    WTB Rocket V Race Black Saddle CroMo Rails
    Maxxis HighRoller 26x2.35 MaxxPro folding
    Conti 26" x 1.75-2.5" SV tube
    SRAM X.9 10sp Long cage Carbon/White rr der
    SRAM S1400 175mm 28-42 2x10 GXP crankset Grey
    SRAM PG-1050 10spd 12-36 cassette
    SRAM X.7 2x10 Dual pull LoClamp 31.8/34.9 front
    SRAM PC-1051 10spd chain w/PowerLock 114 links
    SunRingle 26" DJ Punch 20mm White
    SRAM X.9 Trigger Set 2x10 Grey
    Cane Creek 40 Series Traditional 1 1/8 Black
    Salsa Pro Moto Flat Bar 31.8 5dx710mm Blk
    Salsa Promoto Stem 80mm 85/95deg 31.8 Blk/Red
    Revelation XX Dual Air 150mm, White, 20mm Axle
    Avid BB7 MTB 200mm G2 Ro tor Graphite Frt/Rr

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by drblauston View Post
    Q's

- While Santa Cruz's site states that the rear can accommodate a 2.5" tire many posts I've read have said it does not and I see a good bit of people with 2.1's in the back and 2.35's up front.. Can any Chameleon owners out there with experience verify if you can run 2.35's in the back? It's what's in the pic on their website so I'd assume it's okay but you never know...

- I want a bomb-proof hardtail. I do XC riding, hit the DH's whenever I find them and in general want this bike set up as an AM rig - should I go for a slightly shorter stem?

- Santa Cruz frames generally run small - I'm 6' 2" but pretty light, for flick-ability I'm good with the Large over the XL right?
    Tires vary wildly as to what size they say they are and what size they turn out to be. A 2.35 Maxxis can be nearly the same size as a 2.1 Kenda. A 2.35 Maxxis should have no problem fitting on your Chameleon.

I would run a shorter stem with wide bars, but that's a great combo for all riding as far as I'm concerned. Unless you have fit issues, run as small a stem as you are able comfortably.

Sorry I can't speak to size, perhaps that's a question better posed on the Santa Cruz sub-forum.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I might try to find a Revelation air u-turn 120-150mm. Might make the bike a little more versatile. Your call on that though. I'd also highly recommend a dropper post instead of the Thomson. As for the size, SC run a short ETT and an overall compact bike. Be sure that the L is the right size for you. I'm 5'8 and I'm a solid Med on their bikes. I'd put you on an xl but that is only my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Im 6' and 210lbs and Im on an XL chameleon with 160mm fork. It fits me like a dream, even cured my knee problems. Unless you're coming from more freestyle riding and like you're bike real small, I'd definitely go with the XL.

Sounds like you're setting this thing up a lot like mine is. I take on all kinds of trails, the frame is so versatile. Enjoy!