Iron Horse Warrior Expert or Forge Sawback 5xx- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Iron Horse Warrior Expert or Forge Sawback 5xx

What would you recommend to a newbie mountain biker? I'm in college right now so I don't have a whole lot of money to throw around, but I got a tax return coming my way so I'll have a little extra dough to put forward.

I was looking at the Forge Sawback 5xx for $300 - http://forgebikes.com which should be available in early April. And I was also looking at the Iron Horse Warrior Expert (XC Race) for $500 - http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....&category=-112

Do you think the extra $200 would be worth spending for the Iron Horse?

Freshly Fujified

Hello Blommer

Welcome to the forums. Of the two bikes, I personally feel that the upgaded fork, drivetrain components, and brakes are well worth the additional $200. While the Forge represents an excellent value at $300, if you have the $500 to spend on the Iron Horse, I would highly recommend you give it serious consideration.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Blommer. I decided to get the IH the other day. I am a re-newbie (been a few yeasrs since my last MTB) and it seemed like the best deal around. Clyde steered me toward it, and I am confident I will love it when it arrives!
    Good luck!
    Paul
    2011 Tarmac SL3
    2011 Stumpjumper Comp 29er
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior HT

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I also see that the Ibex Alpine bikes are popular on here, and they are reviewed more highly on the review part of this website than the Iron Horse. Would I be better off with an Ibex?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you get the Ibex, get the 650 model. In my opinion, the Warrior Expert beats out the 550 due to its Avid BB5 brakes, which means less headaches when setting up discs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What's a good price for a 2003 Trek 8000?

Freshly Fujified

Around $500

Give or take $50 on the low end, and $100 on the high end. The bike retailed for $1150 in 2003. Bikes depreciate significantly once they are used, and depending on the condition of the bike as a whole, the price could vary. I would start at about $500 and work from there. For the record, I'd take the '06 Warrior Expert over the used Trek 8000.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ^^ Same, for 500 you can buy a that but you can never beat the satisfaction of a brand new bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I own the Forge Sawback 5xx, going on about a year now. I like the bike , the frame is solid, light aluminum and the components are well known names. I was so impressed with the 5xx that I bought my wife the Forge M Street, she loves it. You can also apply a 10% coupon by googling “target coupons”, it worked for me with no strings attached, I learned that through this site. In all I think you picked some good choices. Best of luck, thanks for your inquiry, if you do buy the Sawback please report back.
    Last edited by bikefun; 03-22-2007 at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've read a lot of good things about the Ibex Alpine 550 and 650 on this forum, and the IH Warrior Expert is only rated 3.93 on this site as opposed to 4.32 and 4.86 for the Ibex Bikes. Is the Warrior Expert better for $550 shipped as opposed to the Ibex bikes for $530 or $630? I'm 220 lbs would all the components be good for me? I see the Ibex is only 80mm fork as opposed to 100mm for the IH.

Also I see the Ibex bikes are about 29 lbs but how much does the IH Warrior Expert weigh?
    Last edited by blommer; 04-05-2007 at 09:05 AM.

Freshly Fujified

More comparisons

If you're comparing the Warrior Expert to the Ibex Alpine series, the closest comparison will be the Alpine 650. Comparable specs with the better fork going to the Slate on the Ibex. The damping will be more plush, but as you pointed out, it's 80mm as compared to 100mm on the Warrior. Will 80mm be enough? It depends agan on just how aggressive a rider you are and what type of riding you intend to do. If you're doing typical XC riding with roots, rocks, the occasional log crossing and most importantly NO DROPS OR JUMPS, it will be fine. If you're going to be doing more aggressive riding, then the additional travel will help, but what good is the additional travel if the damping on the longer travel fork is inferiorand STILL not intended for drops and jumps?

Tough decision you have to make here, but I've laid it out as best I can for you. Hopefully this will keep the wheels turning in your mind regarding the decisions you have to make.

Bob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    If you're comparing the Warrior Expert to the Ibex Alpine series, the closest comparison will be the Alpine 650. Comparable specs with the better fork going to the Slate on the Ibex. The damping will be more plush, but as you pointed out, it's 80mm as compared to 100mm on the Warrior. Will 80mm be enough? It depends agan on just how aggressive a rider you are and what type of riding you intend to do. If you're doing typical XC riding with roots, rocks, the occasional log crossing and most importantly NO DROPS OR JUMPS, it will be fine. If you're going to be doing more aggressive riding, then the additional travel will help, but what good is the additional travel if the damping on the longer travel fork is inferiorand STILL not intended for drops and jumps?

Tough decision you have to make here, but I've laid it out as best I can for you. Hopefully this will keep the wheels turning in your mind regarding the decisions you have to make.

Bob
    quality over quantity... i just found that out when i was using a Marzocchi Drop Off Triple and went to a Fox 36 Talas R...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks CmC you've really been a help with all my questions! Now if I want to upgrade the fork in the future would model would be easier to upgrade? The only other thing I need to figure out is how much a 19.5" IH Warrior Expert will weigh.

Freshly Fujified

You can upgrade both

So long as you're careful about the axle to crown height on the fork you use as a replacement, my guess is that you could go up to 100mm on the Ibex, and probably 120mm on the Iron Horse. The axle to crown height is key in dictating how "tall" the fork will be. If it's too tall for the frame you're putting it on, it will negatively effect the geometry and thus the change the handling characteristics of the bike. The most common result from putting on a fork that's too tall is that the steering will be effected adversely and you'll tend to wash out while cornering. By keeping the A/C height as close as possible to the A/C height on the fork you're replacing, you minimize the effects on the bike's geometry and handling.

Bob

Members who have read this thread: 0