Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 - $299- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 - $299

Dicks Sporting Goods has a Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 in their ad for $299 this week.

Not alot of details except Hayes MX4 disc's and RockShox Dart 1.... if its got Deore components it might be very similar to the Forge 5xx.

If my 19" 5xx doesn't work out tomorrow, maybe I'll go take a look.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    show me the ad.. sounds good though

Mar 2007
    Yeah, I'd like to see the ad as well. They site doesn't show anything about it, nor do they have an Iron Horse bikes in stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think I would have to scan it in.... its says 'Dicks exclusive' on the ad, and yes it isn't on their site.

vux

Mar 2007
    I did see these at the store. I was there a few weeks ago and they were about $350 so the price must be going down for some reason perhaps because of the season. I think dicks actually has a lot of decent bikes for beginners and casual riders. Im debating a diamondback, possibly the sorrento ( $280 @ dicks) as of now...

Mar 2007
    Post the full specs on it. $299 is a good deal if it has good drivetrain. MX4 brakes are one step above the Sawback's MX2's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
    Post the full specs on it. $299 is a good deal if it has good drivetrain. MX4 brakes are one step above the Sawback's MX2's.
    I am curious too.... then again, maybe I don't want to know! It might be tempting....

May 2007
    I bought me a Iron Horse Warrior 2.1 today for $299 from dicks. I believe the sale is going to end soon on it but not sure. It has the disc brakes on the front and rear. Rock shox for front springs. An Acera Shimano derailleur and some Ninja tires. I am just getting started on mountain biking and am not to kean on the lingo and products. I have actually never heard of Iron horse as a brand until today. I was looking at the diamond back sorrento for $280 but for $20 dollars more to have two disc brakes, some nicer tires and nicer shocks it seemed like a no brainer.

Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zstep7
    I bought me a Iron Horse Warrior 2.1 today for $299 from dicks. I believe the sale is going to end soon on it but not sure. It has the disc brakes on the front and rear. Rock shox for front springs. An Acera Shimano derailleur and some Ninja tires. I am just getting started on mountain biking and am not to kean on the lingo and products. I have actually never heard of Iron horse as a brand until today. I was looking at the diamond back sorrento for $280 but for $20 dollars more to have two disc brakes, some nicer tires and nicer shocks it seemed like a no brainer.
    Take pics and post them IMMEDIATELY!!!

Is this a "store only" sale or something. There's nothing on their site about any such sale.

mtbr member
    I just bought the 1.3 tonight for $299. The bikes are not on dicks website.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a suspicion thats a Maverick and not a Warrior frame...

Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    I have a suspicion thats a Maverick and not a Warrior frame...
    No, it's a warrior. Look at the wing supports under the main top tube in the front. The Mavericks don't have that. I can't belive they don't have these on the website... what's up with that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27
    I just bought the 1.3 tonight for $299. The bikes are not on dicks website.

Please post the specs on the geartrain and brakes. Looks ALOT like its the same as the Forge 5xx hardware
    Last edited by jeepinmike; 05-04-2007 at 08:09 PM.

Mar 2007
    From the looks of things the derailers and shifters are different, but everything else (brakes included) may be the same as the Forge 5xx. If they sold that bike on the website I'd buy it for my girl. Her Walmart special is pissing me off. That thing won't consitently shift to save it's life.

Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinmike
    Please post the specs on the geartrain and brakes. Looks like it is ALOT like its the same as Forge 5xx hardware

Thats a great looking bike. good job. I actually took a close look at one of these bikes and checked out the frame and major parts. I must say, I was pretty impressed with it.

I think the reason the bike is not in the website is because of Dicks marketing agreement with Iron Horse. Or, dicks agreement with Pacific.........who knows.

you got a good deal on the bike....now ride on...

TruVative Iso-Flow cranks and Rock Shox fork are really a nice touch on a $300 bike...

now you go and ride like you stole it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Stem looks different than the Forge also the brakes look different? Frame looks about the same. It's a 19" correct?

Hayes MX4 vs Hayes MX2. I couldn't find the MX4 on Hayes site.

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
    Take pics and post them IMMEDIATELY!!!

Is this a "store only" sale or something. There's nothing on their site about any such sale.
    If you google iron horse warrior 2.1 and find where dicks has something about it you will see where they have it in their ads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you google iron horse warrior 2.1 and find where dicks has something about it you will see where they have it in their ads.
    The ad I found is lacking to say the least.
    Attached Images Attached Images

May 2007
    Well it does show the sale price and the original price. I don't know much about bikes right now, especially iron horse, I had never even heard of it until I bought it. My listing above states everything that I can tell that bike includes. It was only $20 more than the diamondback sorrento with more options so I bought it.

Mar 2007
    I had never even heard of it until I bought it.
    You never heard of Iron Horse or never heard of Warrior 1.3. Iron Horse are good bikes... how can you miss the Randall Scott advertisements on the right of these forums with Iron Horse plastered all over them? Now, if it was Warrior 1.3 you never heard of, yeah, me too on that one. I've heard of 4.0, 5.0, etc, but never 1.3. 1.x is not even listed on their website. BTW, www.ironhorsebikes.com is their website.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 05-04-2007 at 02:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Mine is a 17.5" frame and I believe the brakes are MX4s. Still haven't got to ride it offroad, cant wait though!

mtbr member
    Here are some more pictures for you guys. The only things on the bike that I really dont like are the peddles, they are really cheap, and the seat, its ok but could be better.

Hope you like. It is mainly a good beginner bike for me. I have been riding almost my whole life but have been more serious about it the past couple years.

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The stem is upside down. The Forge bikes come with the stems upside down as well and you have to flip it. Did Dicks assemble the bike?

Looks good though.

Jan 2007
    Well, one thing's for sure. It looks way better than anything else you could get around that price, and still have specs like those

:]

mtbr member
    Thanks =). I am getting mixed answers about the stem being upside down or not. Some say it is suppose to be like that and others say its personal preference and then others say its wrong. Oh well I will just go with what works best for me.

Also getting clip in shoes for the first time, should be interesting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinmike
    Please post the specs on the geartrain and brakes. Looks like it is ALOT like its the same as Forge 5xx hardware
    What are you talking about?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks =). I am getting mixed answers about the stem being upside down or not. Some say it is suppose to be like that and others say its personal preference and then others say its wrong. Oh well I will just go with what works best for me.
    Check out the attached image of a Warrior 3.0.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    What are you talking about?
    um ya....doesn;t make much sense.... I edited the post to make it alittle more clear.

Basically that bike looked like it may have similar components to the Forge 5xx. Looks like the derailers are a step down (?) and the MX4 are an OEM type offering with unknown compairison to MX2.

Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jleecong
    The stem is upside down. The Forge bikes come with the stems upside down as well and you have to flip it. Did Dicks assemble the bike?

Looks good though.
    Fix that immediately... it's not very safe to ride like that. The geometry is off if you have short arms.

mtbr member
    Wow so it really is upside down? I am so confused, getting so many different examples. Maybe I should call IH?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wow so it really is upside down? I am so confused, getting so many different examples. Maybe I should call IH?
    WHETHER IT IS OR ITS NOT DOESNT MATTER AS LONG AS YOUR COMFORTABLE, DANG

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm new at this as well, but research I'm great at...

It is upside down from the "default". You will be more stretched out on the bike as it is now and putting more weight on the front/bars. You can do it the way you are, it's just not as common and not how IH would have sent you the bike. Again try it BOTH ways and do what feels best.

With a 17.5" frame how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yep, the Forge still has better components for the price, I rather have the Forge Deore drivetrain/shfiters and Mx2's.
    Last edited by bikefun; 05-05-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefun
    I rather have the Forge Deore drivetrain/shfiters and Mx2's.
    I agree. Why does everyone make it seem like the MX2's suck ass or something? This is the first time I've had disc brakes on a bike and I can't even use the full braking ability of them because if I lay on it hard the tires just lock up. For what the Sawback 5xx was designed to do (as a bike) I think the MX2's are fine. This is not a bike someone would take downhill riding at stupid speeds so the brakes as they come do a fine job for their intended purpose. Anyway, maybe it's too soon to tell, but I'm happy with my MX2's so far. If that changes in any way I'm sure I'll let everyone know.

On a sidenote, the MX4's (being black in color) would have looked better on the Sawback 5xx then the grey MX2's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I Have 8 inch MX2s on my Marin and so far no complaints.

May 2007
    oops double post

May 2007
    Any update on this bike, I am looking to replace my 12 year old GT. Now I am looking pretty much to trail ride, and do the occasional stupid things as we all do on a bike. For just under $300 can I go wrong with this bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic
    For just under $300 can I go wrong with this bike?
    I don't think so. Looks like a decent bike with some lower end well known parts.

As others have said in this thread, I would suggest the Forge. After having the pleasure of talking with Forge support, if you were to have any problems they could help. I'm not sure what Dicks Sporting Goods would do. I'm guessing that unlike the Forge (you assemble 10% yourself), Dicks employees assemble the last 10%.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I picked this bike up last weekend and was able to take it out this weekend. Very nice ride. The saddle is decent, the seat post looks to be steel and is short but you can swap that out for a little change, the grips are very rough on the paws I changed them right away, a couple cheap fixes and this bike is great for a beginner like me. For the quality of components you will pay $100-200 more in a bike store I am all for supporting local businesses but I also support my wallet staying fat. It is assembled just fine, a manager looks it over before you can buy it, he told me to just call the store and keep my receipt handy if I have problems.

Jul 2007
    thanks for the heads up on the stem mine was also upside down. I have shorter arms and i just go thtis bike and rode it around 5miles or so terrain and pavement and i felt a little wierd now that i fixed the stem i feel a lot more comfortable thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I work at a Dick's, and we're not all incompetent, just most of us. I'm learning from our "certified" tech, who is a semi-pro BMX rider. If you're concerned about the mechanic work, just come by and spend a little time talking with whomever works in your nearest store. I can't vouch for every store, but I like to think my store is pretty good. Our bikes come 100% assembled, and must be safety checked by a certified tech before you can take them home with you. There's generally a "no returns' policy on bikes, but most managers will work with you, depending on the condition of the bike.

The Warrior 1.3 is the best value mountain bike we carry. It's got Acera rear dérailleurs and shifters/brake combos. I'm drawing a blank on the front dérailleur, likely an Acera was well. It's got SR Suntour crank arms and cassettes. The metal pedals aren't terrible, I like them better than the plastic ones that the vast majority of our other bikes have.

I'm planning on grabbing one soon.

Also: Sales are one week long, Saturday-Saturday.

mtbr member
    The stem is not "upside down" per se. They are reversible like that. But 99% of bikes will come with the stem facing the other way.

Yes, you can ride it safely like that if it is comfortable. its just that its not likely to be comfortable. You will probably get hand and neck aches.

Aug 2008
    how does the 1.3 compare to a haro flightline one for beginner bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Looks like a cheap bike to me..

Members who have read this thread: 0