Iron horse vs IBEX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Iron horse vs IBEX

I am looking for a solid DS bike for cheap money ($600ish). I've pretty much narrowed it down to the IBEX Ignition 2 or the Iron Horse Warrior Trail, both the '06 version. They seem pretty similar in ways. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to which bike would stand the test of time and offer more room for improvements down the line. So basically, which frame design is better and more upgradeable. Any advice would be great....thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    why dual suspension?
    2006 Cannondale F400
    Avid BB7
    Headshok still going strong
    About 6 lbs of Maxxis Hookworm tire

Portland, OR
    for the cash, the ironhorse warrior trail is sick. I used to have a Ironhorse Warrior Sport, that was the most fun XC hardtail I've ever ridden. Iron horse really puts a lot of time and effort into their frames, they are extremly well made. Ibex I cant say enough about either, I love their bikes. but, I would get an Ironhorse over a lot of bikes, they are freaking awesome to deal with.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

ride hard take risks
    Dollar wize it's a close run. I have experience with the Ibex & can say the frames are awsome & thrive for a hard ride. The customer service is at the tops, you can call & talk to a person that just may be the owner/janitor he does it all with a little help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Why?

Because I like the ride of the DS better. Just don't want a hardtail. So it looks like there is one vote for Ibex and one for Iron Horse. Any comments on whether the IBEX's 4 point suspension is better than that of the single pivot IH? Also, which bike (or frame) is lighter?
    Last edited by illuminaty22; 07-30-2006 at 06:12 PM.

ride hard take risks
    That is a personal oppinion, i have hae a single pivot SC Supa-ate & am no riding a Versus Blitz & Ibex Asta. All of them are great i reall would have a hard time saying one is better that the other. There are alot of people out there that can slam down pivot point, possition, linkage crapola but when you are grinning & riding thats all that matters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Weughts

Any thoughts on the frame or overall weights of these bikes? I'm trying to decide by midnight because there is 10% off on randall scott until midnight.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by illuminaty22
    Any thoughts on the frame or overall weights of these bikes? I'm trying to decide by midnight because there is 10% off on randall scott until midnight.
    I know Ibex list that on there site dont know if the Horse does check it out or call.

mtbr member
    I would personally never touch a DS at that price level, but either way, I would take Ibex over Iron Horse.
    Santa Cruz Bullit AM build

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Asta?

Any thoughts on the ASTA. The base model is $999. I like the frame design though. Any thoughts on whether this bike would be worth the extra 400 or so?

Rammer Jammer
    In my opinion you've zeroed in on the two best values in bikes: Iron Horse and Ibex. I am a proud owner of an IH Warrior Comp HT and am very happy with it. The fact that I live near a Performance Bicycles location was the difference to me versus buying a bike over the internet. Regardless of which way you go, I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Freshly Fujified

Asta=Well worth the $$$

Any thoughts on the ASTA. The base model is $999. I like the frame design though. Any thoughts on whether this bike would be worth the extra 400 or so?
    I would spend the extra money on the Asta in a heartbeat. You are getting a much better build all around. From the fork to the shock, to the brakes to the drivetrain components, it's just a better built bike, IMO. Spend the money now, or spend twice as much in upgrades later.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

ride hard take risks
    Im with CmC on that one. We have been putting a Asta through it's paces & it is not afraid of anything. The frame is rock solid, pedals very well up hill has the agility of a 4X & the heart of a mild DH bike & excitment of AM all in one bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

ASTA size

Hey guys,
    Thanks for all your help. Do you think the 20inch frame will be good for me given that I'm 6'1 and just a bit under 2 bills. It's also the only size they have left, but an 18' sounds small. It's tough to tell without actually getting on one. Also, what exactly is needed to put one of these together. Does it come mostly built up?
    Last edited by illuminaty22; 07-31-2006 at 09:39 PM.

ride hard take risks
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for all your help. Do you think the 20inch frame will be good for me given that I'm 6'1 and just a bit under 2 bills. It's also the only size they have left, but an 18' sounds small. It's tough to tell without actually getting on one.
    Definatly go for the 20" being 6'1". Our 18" frame is riden by every one from about 5'2 through 5'7".

Freshly Fujified

Minimal assembly

Hey guys,
    Thanks for all your help. Do you think the 20inch frame will be good for me given that I'm 6'1 and just a bit under 2 bills. It's also the only size they have left, but an 18' sounds small. It's tough to tell without actually getting on one. Also, what exactly is needed to put one of these together. Does it come mostly built up?
    There is minimal assembly needed. Call Ibex and talk to them. They will confirm whether or not the 20" is the right size and give you a summary of assembly instructions. Basically, the fork needs to be turned around (it's backwards for sake of saving space for shipping ourposes), the pedals probably need to be put on, and i believe you need to put install the seatpost and saddle. Other than that, the bike is basically ready to go. You'll want to take the bike on some dry runs in a parking lot before you hit the trails. This will give you a chance to make sure the brakes and gearing are adjusted properly. After a few rides, the cables will stretch, and you'll probably want to take it to a bike shop for adjustments.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Specialized FSR XC

Ok, so I know I started this thread asking about iron horses and Ibex dual suspension bikes. You guys basically talked me up to the Ibex Asta. However, I went to my LBC and saw an '06 Specialized FSR XC for the same price as the Asta ($1000). It lacks some of the higher end components that the Asta has (such as disc breaks), but its a specialized, and I hear that these frames are really good to build on. Any thoughts? Also, do you think the price may come down even more in september when the '07's come out?
    Last edited by illuminaty22; 08-01-2006 at 05:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Both bikes are good. Specialized are good frames, mass produced.

That is a good price for the Comp, even better if it's the Pro. The Comp would be red and the Pro silver.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

neither

Its not the pro or the comp. Its just the FSRxc, it's charcoal. No disk brakes. Good deal, or will it be even cheaper in Septmember when the '07's come out, or just hard to find?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I would still go with the Ibex, that's only $200 off MSRP.

ride hard take risks
    Your better off buying a bike that you can ride & will last rather then one you will be spending money on upgrading as you find the need to make the bike meet your ability.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well there doesn't seem to be all that much difference other than the clipless pedals (which i already have) and the disk breaks. I can always upgrade to disk brakes down the line. I just assumed that the Specialized FSR frame was more reliable and slightly better designed than the lesser known IBEX. Am I wrong?

ride hard take risks
    Well there doesn't seem to be all that much difference other than the clipless pedals (which i already have) and the disk breaks. I can always upgrade to disk brakes down the line. I just assumed that the Specialized FSR frame was more reliable and slightly better designed than the lesser known IBEX. Am I wrong?
    Dont forget to buy new wheels with those brakes

Better design There are about 3 major frame manufactures, where do all these frames come from

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=204057
    Attached Images Attached Images

All Mountain all the way
    Jul 2006
    I'm curious...who are the three major frame designers? My guess would be Specialized, Cannondale, and Giant. Am I right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! I did it

OK, so i just bought the last Asta Comp! I hope that its everything you guys claim it to be. I should be getting it in the middle of next week. I'm very excited. Thanks for all your help!

ride hard take risks
    OK, so i just bought the last Asta Comp! I hope that its everything you guys claim it to be. I should be getting it in the middle of next week. I'm very excited. Thanks for all your help!
    Congratz the Asta is a very sweet bike that loves to be riden. Be shure to post pic's of it.

Members who have read this thread: 0