Interesting Bike question...- Mtbr.com
    Live Free and Ride
    Dec 2006

Interesting Bike question...

I have been riding off and on for about the last 10 years or so and currently ride either a Santa Cruz Superlight or a Santa Cruz Bullit. I have two main problems and they've been enough to sort of keep me off the trails a bit more than I'd like. 10 years ago I had all kinds of dirt roads to ride where I live (the SoCal - south western Riverside county) and now I'd say about only 10% of the trails/dirt roads are left. My last ride I think I spent about 80% of the time on the road.
    I currently weigh about 225 and am around 5' 11". My riding style is more of the go out-ride-whatever-I-find type of thing. XC bikes are to lite for me and my style and the Bullit...well while it's an awesome bike riding it on the road just seems like a total waste..of a good bike and of my energy.
    I guess after that long introduction I'm wondering....is it time to hang up the mountain bike and get a road bike <shudders> or is it time to look into this new movement of all mountain hard tails? Is it time to take the best bits off of the Bullit and throw them on say a Chameleon so I can ride the road and still be able to pound the dirt (when I find it) and throw it off a few obstacles? (I don't ride the superlight much because I'm afraid of my weight being too much for it....my model is I think an 01 or 02 and I was told they had a weight limit of 240 or so...jumping it off of anything more than a curb would be BAD!!!).
    Mind you I'm not a super jumper or hitting the local parks but i do ride hard and enjoy tossing the bike around a bit.
    Any ideas (price isn't such a big deal right now as I'm only just getting into the whole search thing). Any ond else running into the same problems in their riding area?
    Thanks in advance for any responses everyone might be able to provide and I look forward to reading them.

ride hard take risks
    What do you ride On road or Off road

Possibly a Versus Blitz II
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So 90% of the riding will be on pavement. Yes you can outfit a hardtail with road tires and it will be pleasurable riding on the road sans the tire buzzing. Mountainbikes fitted with road tires are fun but not comfortable for anything over 20 miles or more than an hour of riding because of limited hand position. It wont perform as efficient as a true roadbike. Been there than that - see pic. Roadbikes are aerodynamic from the frame, the fork, tires and with the drop bar. The gears are closely spaced so there is no big drop in rpm when you go to the next gear and can attain higher top speed because of the 700c wheels and tall gearing.

You like something that is somehow efficient on the road and you can still take to the trails? A Cross bike with 700c tires and drop bars. You still need 2 sets of wheels for road and dirt. Still it wont be as efficient as either a road or mountainbike for the intended purpose.

I would suggest a 3rd option which is buy a road bike and keep the Bullit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Live Free and Ride
    Dec 2006

I was afraid of that...

I really don't want a road bike but I know that in the end my mountain roots may just drift to the back of my mind as the miracle of progress overtakes the area. It really sucks to be honest. In the end though I'm not sure I have the money to be putting towards a whole new bike and thus my idea about a hardtail (I know I said price was no issue). Anyone else run into this situation? That Versus bike is sweet btw. Thanks for the responses.

mtbr Decade+

Dance with she who brought ya!

Santa Cruz Blur XC! Or even the new Superlight is supposed to be a little beefier...

Members who have read this thread: 0