mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Info and Advice Wanted Regarding Trek 4300 Alpha MTB

Hello all. I apologize if this is too simple of a question to be asked here, and should be located somewhere else. I am looking to get my first mountain bike and would like advice on the bike in the title. Assuming I have uploaded the file correctly, there is a picture of the one I am looking at buying. The asking price for it is $90. I am looking at this as a way to get me started out without spending too much money. If anyone has any info on how this bike should serve me it would be much appreciated. Also, opinions on if I should stick to this or if my money would be better spent on a different bike is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Info and Advice Wanted Regarding Trek 4300 Alpha MTB-bike.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    It depends on the condition of the bike, how it fits you and where you plan to ride. It also depends on your expectations. $90 is a modest buy-in. But, if the bike doesnít fit right itís money wasted. Similarly, if the bike needs work, youíll quickly find the cost of repair isnít justified. From the pic it looks like it was barely ridden. However just based on age it probably needs tires unless theyíve been replaced. The chain may also need to be replaced just due to age, if it hasnít been maintained. Any work it needs will quickly become uneconomical. That said, assume that the suspension fork wonít work. No harm, other than weight, because even new it wasnít good. Understand that everything about the bike is outdated. Donít buy-in thinking you can upgrade parts later. If you get the bike to ride carriage roads, rail-trails, etc. with the idea of getting a new bike later on for singletrack, then youíre good. Otherwise, you will be frustrated and disappointed.

mbtr member
    90$ isn't much, but neither is that bike. If it shifts and brakes well it's worth 90$. You'll outgrow it pretty quickly; 4300s are bike path bikes shaped like MTBs, and that one is ~15 years old to boot. Do not upgrade.

In the used market there's some serious deals in the 800-1500$ range, and demand for something cheap is higher than supply, so 100-500$ is a weirdly poor value proposition.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrencee11 View Post
    Hello all. I apologize if this is too simple of a question to be asked here, and should be located somewhere else. I am looking to get my first mountain bike and would like advice on the bike in the title. Assuming I have uploaded the file correctly, there is a picture of the one I am looking at buying. The asking price for it is $90. I am looking at this as a way to get me started out without spending too much money. If anyone has any info on how this bike should serve me it would be much appreciated. Also, opinions on if I should stick to this or if my money would be better spent on a different bike is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Donít buy it, because the fork will give you problems and replacements are difficult to find and expensive. (200 dollars).

Instead, look for an older steel bike like a Fisher Aquila or Trek 930 rigid or Bridgestone MB-4 (earlier MB-1,2,3 are expensive collectorís items) so that you donít have to spend extra money later on. When you get a newer bike youíll still appreciate and ride your old-school bike but that Trek 4300 will not age well - youíll eventually hate it.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    4300's weren't park path bikes, that is the 3xxx series. The 4xxx bikes were decently equipped for XC trails.

Both of my boys rode a 2011 4300 I purchased used off a lady who was divorcing the man that thought she'd like to ride bikes. They put over 3000 miles on the trail with no issues. It's been through a few sets of brake pads and a chain, runs like a champ, including the fork.

For $90, I think you are good, even if the fork is on it's way out. You can get a decent starter fork for $100, or sell the bike for $50 if the fork goes out.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!