Independent Drivetrain vs. single pivot?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Independent Drivetrain vs. single pivot?

I've been haunting this forum for a long time, made a couple threads asking what to get, but I've finally figured out what my big question is:

single pivot or I-drive? Simple or Convoluted? ('08 Prophet 2 or '08 GT Force 1.0)?

Single pivot is nice and simple for ease of maintenance, lighter frame, but with chain growth, pedal feedback, and brake jack. Also, there's more of a chance of that one pivot getting ovalized (I've seen a few)

I-drive has the same-up and back path, but with a slightly heavier and convoluted design that makes maintenance and cleaning more of a chore. However, chain growth, pedal feedback, and brake jack are greatly reduced or even eliminated. Also, I have recently heard that the i-drive does not do very well at all if you are out of the saddle, because then part of your weight is actually resisting compression or something like that.

What would you pick for very rooty trails where you will more likely see repetitive small and medium hits with only occasional bigger drops and obstacles? I'd especially like to know if anyone that has ridden GT's I-drive (past few years only, please), has felt any loss of sensitivity when going downhill out of the saddle. Thanks alot, hopefully this will be my last question in this forum!

mtbr member
    As always the best advice is to ride them both and decide for yourself. There are so many things that can effect the performance of any bike (no matter how many or few pivots it has) that you can't just categorize single pivot vs multi. The I-drive does do some neat things, but it also swings your feet back and forth in relation to the seat. Some may find this unbearable and others may not notice at all. You may notice more chain torque with the Profit in the granny, but you may also prefer how well it pedals in the middle ring.

In my experience, the more pivots you add, the more likely you will have a problem with at least one of them. This of course is a generalization, but one that is very accurate and based on servicing high-end mtb for 10 years.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    I believe the Prophet is being discontinued this spring/summer with a completely new bike that may/may not be called the ďRiseĒ, something like that and it has a new suspension system, so that may effect your decision.

For me personally I would go for the Force 1.0, itís a very good bike thatís good value, the XT stuff works amazingly, so do the wheels tires and as usual the Fox stuff also works brilliantly. The independent drive system works great but it will compress because if you are standing up it increases the leverage on the rear suspension so it will be plusher and should bob but I havenít noticed any bob but it is know where near as bad as Mongooseís Teocali, that is awful when standing up and I believe it has a similar suspension system. The GT is much better. I had the 2001 I-drive 4 and loved it until the seat mast snapped, something that wouldnít happen on yours if you got one cos you donít have a seat mast. The I-drive system has exceptionally good traction, it was able to sail up climbs that my Stumpy certain would loose traction on, even my Trance X struggles on some of the rocky climbs that the ID doesnít.

In short wait for the new Cannondale if you want a Dale and donít mind the wait, or my choice which is to go for the Force as it is a very good bike just look at itís beauty:

mtbr member
    I'm still riding my 2001 I-Drive 4.0. Didn't break it yet. I love the plush feel and have no problems climbing or descending. Actually I love it so much that now I'm finally going to get a new bike this year. I leaning way towards the 2008 Trek Fuel EX 8. I'm hearing alot of great things about how plush the rear suspension is. You might want to put the Trek on your list.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow. What's MSRP on the GT? That's a hot selection of parts right out of the box.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If your trails have rooty downhills and climbs, you might appreciate the active braking of the GT. If they're fairly flat or not very long, I'd probably go for simplicity. That said, I'm from Wisconsin, which is fairly flat, and I love my Giant Trance X.

don't move for trees
    Not the same bikes, but, I prefer the single pivot on my Iron Horse yakuza kumicho, seems to have a lot more small bump pick up along with a fluid reliable travel all the way through. I've ridden my buddies Demo 9 pro, and it just feel more chattery on small stuff, and is a little harder to pedal.

That being said, I'd still ride either one, but choose the single pivot due to easy of maintenance and lighter weight
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

Members who have read this thread: 0