The impossible question...what AM FS for $1300 max budget- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

The impossible question...what AM FS for $1300 max budget

Alright this is a damn near impossible question, but I need a FS all mountain (5-6inch travel) bike for around $1200-1300.

That price range is damn near impossible to get a decent bike, but it is what I am limited to. I will be doing some AM riding, 4ft drops, some jumping and the like. I just missed out on the iron horse MKIII comp in my size, so my whole bike plan was ruined and now my life is in shambles.

Ibex atlas is a choice, but I am concerned with pedal bob on the lower end sport.
    Iron Horse MKIII sport is a choice.

And that is all I can think of. I know this is a damn near impossible price range, but throw out some ideas people!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor

we sell a lot of Fantom DS Elite

Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey
    Alright this is a damn near impossible question, but I need a FS all mountain (5-6inch travel) bike for around $1200-1300.

That price range is damn near impossible to get a decent bike, but it is what I am limited to. I will be doing some AM riding, 4ft drops, some jumping and the like. I just missed out on the iron horse MKIII comp in my size, so my whole bike plan was ruined and now my life is in shambles.

Ibex atlas is a choice, but I am concerned with pedal bob on the lower end sport.
    Iron Horse MKIII sport is a choice.

And that is all I can think of. I know this is a damn near impossible price range, but throw out some ideas people!
    We do sell a lot of Fantom DS Elite at $1200

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fantom_eds.htm

it is in your price range and the frame seems bullet proof -- we have sold thousands of Fantoms and have never seen a Fantom frame broken
    Wheels are also top notch; which is good if you are doing drops

however, Fantom DS Elite has handle bar controls [pop lock] and BB5 brakes
    some would prefer the money in say Juice 7 and skip the Pop-Loc -- personal choice

also - Motobecane uses Shimano on mountain bikes; some people like Sram; so next year we will add 3 ATB brands and two of those will use Sram -- there will be several FS bikes at $1000 to $1400

we will not add any single pivot bikes as we agree the feedback, bob, and brake lock should be avoided as much as possable

mike

Freshly Fujified

That's a tough call alright

There are definitely options out there if you look hard enough. You've obviously seen them, it's just a matter of picking your spot and not hesitating to pull the trigger when you have a good deal in your sights. I wouldn't discount a single pivot bike, as recent advances in shock technologies have really minimized the pedal feedback issues that were somewhat resolved in the four bar and other more complex linkages. For the record, I've had no issues with pedal bob on my Atlas expert, and have yet to experience brake jack on the two single pivot bikes I've owned. I don't doubt brake jack exists, but I wonder how much the issue revolves around excessive rear braking as compared to deficiencies in linkage or pivot design. I'll leave that one up to the engineers to argue over IN ANOTHER THREAD. (Do not hijack this thread, please).

In any event, keep looking. Mike's Motobecane recommendation is one you should consider, and I wouldn't be surprised if you saw more MK III Comp's in your size come up through other resources.

Best wishes in finding the right bike for you

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wait around for the IH MK- there will be more popping up, I'm sure. Watch Performance bike as well. As far as single pivot bikes, the problems isn't with the suspension design but with a bike in that price range. I've ridden single pivot bikes that ride and provide traction better than VPP and other designs (and the other way around) so don't get caught up in the theoretical aspects of it. Each brand and model is very different and shocks are designed to deal with any inherent suspension characteristics that may (in theory) be less desired.

So watch Performance and other sites, including Ebay. I've seen several IH MKs show up there new. That will be your best bet in this price range so you're on the right tract. Don't get impatient and jump on something- wait a few more weeks and search every day. Go to each site and Ebay- make calls if you have to. I suspect you will find one in your size. When you do, jump on it.

Cuánto pesa?
    y0bailey,

I dont know if you've asked over in "Lets Talk About Shocks" board, but a little Q/A over there about
    the Manitou Metel R w/ Platform Plus might shed some light on the shocks performance..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jake..

mtbr member
    no y0bailey... it's very possible. THe MKIII you're looking at is really good. Another one to look out for is the Ibex Atlas. I would say it's specced as well as the MKIII for the same price. It's also a mini version of the Ibex Zone (an FR bike; my bike). If it's anything as like my Zone, i'd say go for it all the way.

http://ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ATLAS-SPT-Details.html

As for faux bar vs single pivot, sure there is a difference. But it is very minimal. The real difference is in where the placement of the pivots, wheelpath and such is at. But i'm not going to hijack your thread about it...

As for the MKIII, what you can do is print the page of the MKIII sport and bring it to a performance bike store near you. They'll pricematch it... Good luck with the new rig

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I really like the Atlas's and I would love to grab an expert...but I cannot gather enough money to grab one. The sport looks decent enough. I don't know much about the juicy5's....are they decent?

My main concern is the differences in the rear shock and fork. I am a 5'11 180lb rider, and I tend to ride like I am heavier than that....aka I am mean to my bikes. I would hate to skimp on the suspension, and I cannot seem to find enough information on the real differences between the expert and sport's shocks. I understand they are different, but I am not knowledgeable enough to tell any difference by eye or specs. The main thing that scares me is the lack of a piggyback on the sport's rear shock. Like I said before, I am looking to do some more aggressive all mountain riding....4-5 foot drops, etc...so I really don't want to risk it on suspension. How does the Sports suspension hold up to the experts? And how does the Atlas sport's suspension compare to the IH MKIII sport (besides the dwlink).

PS - I hate manitou (answers) website....I cannot find anything!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey
    I really like the Atlas's and I would love to grab an expert...but I cannot gather enough money to grab one. The sport looks decent enough. I don't know much about the juicy5's....are they decent?

My main concern is the differences in the rear shock and fork. I am a 5'11 180lb rider, and I tend to ride like I am heavier than that....aka I am mean to my bikes. I would hate to skimp on the suspension, and I cannot seem to find enough information on the real differences between the expert and sport's shocks. I understand they are different, but I am not knowledgeable enough to tell any difference by eye or specs. The main thing that scares me is the lack of a piggyback on the sport's rear shock. Like I said before, I am looking to do some more aggressive all mountain riding....4-5 foot drops, etc...so I really don't want to risk it on suspension. How does the Sports suspension hold up to the experts? And how does the Atlas sport's suspension compare to the IH MKIII sport (besides the dwlink).

PS - I hate manitou (answers) website....I cannot find anything!
    Juicy 5s are great. They're basicly Juicy 7 minus some adjustability. They beat HFX9 hands down. As for the shocks, the ones which are coming with the Atlas Sport are the Manitou Metel RP which is basicly like an entrylevel FR shock. No worries about it not taking abuse. Since it is entrylevel, it lacks adjustability and will not be suited for anyone below 130lbs. Anything higher is fine. I know, i own one. It's got a coil and a piggyback with a platform adjuster knob and rebound adjust. To change springs to fit rider weight is really easy too cause it can use Manitou, Progressive and DHX springs, and all you need to do is screw the rebound all the way in and then unscrew the compression and take out the spring. As for the Manitou Relic, thats Manitou's new 07 AM fork. I cant say anythign about it, never ridden one. But i dont think you'll be let down. It's also air adjustable so it's easy to set it to your weight.

As for comparing it to the MKIII, IMHO, the shock on the Atlas will take more abuse. But I think i'd pick the Revelation over the Relic cause it's a proven fork. But if you're looking at the Black versus the Relic, then hands down, the Atlas...

ps - piggybacks dont mean the shock can take more abuse, just more adjustability in high and low speed compression. Most of them have pedalling platforms built in like the Swingers, DHX, and 5th Elements. Others dont, like the Rocos...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...=13&itemid=255

I have heard some good things about this bike. I'm looking into one myself.
    Jon

ay Diablo!
    I've heard good things about Jamis bikes, and the XLT seems like it might meet your requirements. Bicycle blowout has a good deal on it. http://www.bicycleblowout.com/Bikes/Jamisxlt10.htm

The Manitou Minute 1:00 does seem like it might be the weak link in th build, but other then that looks like a solid build for the price.
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    We do sell a lot of Fantom DS Elite at $1200

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fantom_eds.htm

it is in your price range and the frame seems bullet proof -- we have sold thousands of Fantoms and have never seen a Fantom frame broken
    Wheels are also top notch; which is good if you are doing drops

however, Fantom DS Elite has handle bar controls [pop lock] and BB5 brakes
    some would prefer the money in say Juice 7 and skip the Pop-Loc -- personal choice

also - Motobecane uses Shimano on mountain bikes; some people like Sram; so next year we will add 3 ATB brands and two of those will use Sram -- there will be several FS bikes at $1000 to $1400

we will not add any single pivot bikes as we agree the feedback, bob, and brake lock should be avoided as much as possable

mike
    Hey Mike,

I had a quetion regarding the bike in question. Do you know what the i2i & shock stroke are? Thanks.

There's no app for this.

here's one for you

Wheelworld won't ship this (This manufacturer currently prohibits us from selling this item via Mail Order. We can only sell this item in our retail store. However, if you have a friend or a relative that can walk-in and make the purchase, we can ship it to where ever they ask. We are very sorry for the inconvenience but also want to remain loyal to our distributor’s wishes. Thank you for your understanding and please visit us soon!

$1299. Kaboing!

here

good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    <center><b><font size="2"><a href="http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/07_bikes/dakarxlt.html">2007 JAMIS Dakar XLT mrsp $1325</a></font></b></center>

Members who have read this thread: 0