I'm slow on my bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018

I'm slow on my bike

I have a 2018 Cannondale Jekyll 4. The eBay seller made a mistake on the listing and sent me a size large instead of medium. I am 5'-7" tall. I kept the bike because he gave me a killer discount and i've been riding without complaint until yesterday.

Yesterday I went to the bike park and tried a Scott Gambler 730 and my initial impression was great. I was super fast down the mountain and it ate up everything. I wish I had more time to try more trails.

Now I don't know what to do because I feel really slow on my Cannondale. The size large frame can't be helping me. Maybe I can swap everything over to a Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon CC frame with RCT coil? Then sell my old frame. Does this sound reasonable or am I wasting my time?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Sell the Cannondale, if you got a killer deal, you should come out ok. Then use the money to buy the right sized bike.
    Gman
    2018 Trek Stache 5
    2018 Orbea Alma M50
    2018 Cannondale Trigger 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The most straight-forward approach is to sell your Cannondale and buy a bike in the right size. Swapping parts from one frame to another is always tricky, because you have to ensure that the components are compatible, and eventually some factor will arise to kick your ass.

Also don't assume that a size medium is correct. I'm 5'6" and every MTB I own is a size small. There are a lot of factors such as inseam, torso length, and arm length, and with bikes getting longer across all size ranges, you need to know what fits and carefully study the geometry charts to find the correct size. Riding before you buy is important, but I'm also not convinced that a quick spin around a parking lot or even a half-hour ride on the trail will provide sufficient information to make a decision.

mtbr member
    As the others said, sell the Cdale complete, parts may not just swap over easily and you'll probably just give yourself more headache than it's worth.

Also as said, one manufacturers Medium is anothers small, case in point, the same Scott you rode (assume Medium) only has a Reach of 415-422mm, however, the Medium Nomad has a Reach of 440mm, the SM Nomad has a Reach of 420mm, much closer to the medium Scott, so best to actually, physically swing a leg over and see how it fits. Also, you were comparing a DH bike to a AM bike with a 2 degree slacker HTA, 30mm more travel, designed specifically for going DH, so that could also play into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I found a place near the bike park that rents the Pivot Firebird Race X01. I will see if that bike has the DH capability that i'm looking for .. if not then i'll buy 2 bikes.

What can I expect from the Firebird in comparison to my Cdale Jekyll 4?

mtbr member
    5'7 is closing in on small frames. You're a good fit for *most* mediums, but smalls arent out of the realm of possibility either. You dont fit that large, or any large I can think of.

A 450mm reach is likely about where you need to be if you want a long bike, but probably closer to 430mm'ish is better. You're at 470mm on yours.

Either sell everything or swap to a smaller frame, but its definitely the frame size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    The small jekyll frame has 426mm reach. What do you think of that size? There is a 2019 jekyll carbon frame on eBay for $1300.

I am 5'-6.5", 163lb with a 30" inseam

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balduccimoto View Post
    I have a 2018 Cannondale Jekyll 4...

Yesterday I went to the bike park and tried a Scott Gambler 730 and my initial impression was great. I was super fast down the mountain and it ate up everything. I wish I had more time to try more trails.
    Sizing aside for a movement... Aren't the Jekyll and Gambler two different bikes altogether? I mean, an enduro versus a down hill? Besides sizing, geometry may also be a factor in how they rode going down. I may be wrong... just thinking out loud.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    It's true that they are different bikes. I like how the front fork floats over rocky sections of the trail and it's easy to ride. I think that's a characteristic of the downhill bike. But I also felt instantly more confident in the turns and the jumps that I was pushing speeds that I didn't know was possible. Maybe that is a characteristic of being on the proper sized bike.

I went to the bike dealer yesterday and he sized me to be on a small or medium jekyll .. and he recommended to go on the small. He is able to get a Jekyll 3 for me at a great price. I'm going today to buy the bike.

I'll ride that for a year and then decide if I want to add a downhill bike to my collection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I ordered a new 2018 Cannondale Jekyll 3, small frame, with upgraded Zee brakes. The price was really good so i'll be okay on the trade up. I'll ride 1 year and then think about a true downhill bike. Thanks all for the advice.