IH Warrior Expert or Ibex 550?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

IH Warrior Expert or Ibex 550?

I've been trying to find a good deal on a HT mountain bike under $600, and the Ibex 550 looks like a pretty good bet, but I think the IH Warrior Expert on rscycle.com may be a better deal, but I'm a little concerned about all that is necessary to assemble it. I've also looked at the 700HT available on ebay, and that might be better still. I hear good things about Ibex customer service, but I think a bike made in Taiwan would be better than China.

I'm thinking the 700HT might be the best choice, since its about $100 less than the other choices, and has equivalent/better parts, except for the fork. That leaves me a little more room to upgrade if necessary. Can someone offer advice here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmxc9
    I've been trying to find a good deal on a HT mountain bike under $600, and the Ibex 550 looks like a pretty good bet, but I think the IH Warrior Expert on rscycle.com may be a better deal, but I'm a little concerned about all that is necessary to assemble it. I've also looked at the 700HT available on ebay, and that might be better still. I hear good things about Ibex customer service, but I think a bike made in Taiwan would be better than China.

I'm thinking the 700HT might be the best choice, since its about $100 less than the other choices, and has equivalent/better parts, except for the fork. That leaves me a little more room to upgrade if necessary. Can someone offer advice here?

I think the 700HT is ugly, but it does have a nice drive train and sells for 430. Another down side to the Moto are the brakes, weak wheelset, and shock. Essentially the moto has a pretty decent frame with high end Derailleurs / shifters and with pretty low end everything else.

There is a 100 diff between the Moto and the ibex/Ih. Personally, I'd get the Ibex or IH.

The IH looks a bit better with bb5 and sram x.7s. I just like sram over shimano. But the IBEX has burnt orange ..and that is SWEET!!

so my vote is IH, IBEX and then Moto.

Now, I am sure the china made ibex frame is just fine. And I am not sure of the assembly required on the IH ... I know the IBEX can be assembled and riding in under an hour!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I kind of like the IH myself, at least from the picture . Apparently rscycle ships bikes "dealer ready" ... how hard is that to assemble? Do the cables come prestreched?

Company CSR
    I kind of like the IH myself, at least from the picture . Apparently rscycle ships bikes "dealer ready" ... how hard is that to assemble? Do the cables come prestreched?
    "Dealer Ready" means the bikes are expected to be assembled by a bike shop mechanic. In industry terms this is usually 80% to 85% assembly in the box. In other words, it's the way a dealer would expect to receive the bike from the manufacturer, not the way you'd expect to get it from the dealer. It could mean that cables need to be installed, it could mean that brakes, derailleurs or such need to be installed. It just depends on the brand, but you'll need to tune brakes and derailleurs regardless. It's doubtful that cables are pre-stretched. Just to get my licks in, IBEX bikes are 95% assembled, meaning you'd need to install the front wheel (w/ QR), saddle and seatpost (also QR on most models), attach the pedals (remembering that the left side threads backwards from normal), and attach the handlebar to the front of the stem (though all cables and controls are already set-up and the bike is pre-tuned).

Regards,
    Jack A.
    IBEX Bicycles
    IBEX Bicycles Company CSR

www.ibexbikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibexbikes
    "Dealer Ready" means the bikes are expected to be assembled by a bike shop mechanic. In industry terms this is usually 80% to 85% assembly in the box. In other words, it's the way a dealer would expect to receive the bike from the manufacturer, not the way you'd expect to get it from the dealer. It could mean that cables need to be installed, it could mean that brakes, derailleurs or such need to be installed. It just depends on the brand, but you'll need to tune brakes and derailleurs regardless. It's doubtful that cables are pre-stretched. Just to get my licks in, IBEX bikes are 95% assembled, meaning you'd need to install the front wheel (w/ QR), saddle and seatpost (also QR on most models), attach the pedals (remembering that the left side threads backwards from normal), and attach the handlebar to the front of the stem (though all cables and controls are already set-up and the bike is pre-tuned).

Regards,
    Jack A.
    IBEX Bicycles

It actually took me longer to get my ibex out of the box and remove all the packing than to "assemble" the bike. -- super easy

Portland, OR
    the ironhorse is nice, but I would stay away from it because of the fork. elastomer forks dont last too well. you'll want to upgrade within a year. Ibex make super nice bikes, they're very easy to put together. also great CS coming from ibex.

motobecane has a nice drivetrain, but I feel its lacking in a few other areas (mentioned above) ultimately the $100.00 you would save, would be pointless because you'll have to upgrade more.

way I would put it, Ibex, IH, moto
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

I bought the Motobecane 700HT

I shopped for a while and found out whatever I could
    I ended up buying the Motobecane 700HT

It seems like the best deal to me - first the welds are top notch
    Bike is made in Taiwan, and much better frame work than any bike I saw made in China

The looks to me are perfect - polished aluminum will be easy to maintain; not a bunch of loud decals. But I admit I like shades like Polished, Silver, Black much better than colors.
    Shades are more 'guy' looking to me.

I can not tell about the wheels yet; as I have only ridden a bit.
    I do know machines - and the hubs are nice aluminum cast with very smooth bearings. I checked bearings when I loaded bike with front wheel off

I also think a 100mm travel fork is better than 80mm
    plus I love the Shimano shifters
    when I tried bikes in stores I tried both types and the Sram was aweful to me
    not the shifting but the way it fit my hand - which was goofy feeling

I have no idea about assembly time as I bought at a dealer.

I would put the 700HT first in this list and would not actually consider the other two bikes due to colors and being made in China
    that's just me

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    What do you guys think of this Schwinn on ebay? It looks like a great deal to me. The reviews on here say good things about the RockShox J1, and all the components are at least mid-level. The only problem is the color is kind of ugly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Elastometer Forks?

Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    the ironhorse is nice, but I would stay away from it because of the fork. elastomer forks dont last too well.
    todd_freeride

Would you explain to me why this fork, a Marzocchi MZ1 w/lockdown wouldn't last. Is it due to the engineering and/or technology (elastometer?), the OP's size and or weight, riding style (which I don't believe he's indicated)? I know nothing about MTB's but will be purchasing soon and I too have looked at the IH Warrior Expert. Info appreciated.

Doc
    "I'm just an old chunk of coal but I'm going to be a diamond some day."
    BJShaver

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I got my IH Warrior Expert from rscycle about two weeks ago. To assemble all you need is a set of metric allen wrenches and a 15mm open end for the pedals.

1) unpack
    2) install QR seatpost w/saddle
    3) install front rotor
    4) install front wheel (QR)
    5) install bars (controls already mounted)
    6) install front caliper and adjust
    7) install pedals
    8) adjust tension on headset and tighten stem
    9) put air in tires
    10) adjust derailers (already installed)
    11) enjoy

I have put 152 miles on it as of tonight and I love it, no problems at all. The metallic gray paint looks great also

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yo todd, what are you talking about? Im confused.
    Elastomer forks are a thing of the past i thought.

The Marzocchi MZ 1 is a coil oil shock right?

My bro's kona blast has a Marzocchi mz 3 aka MZ Comp ( according to Ibex, its the same fork ) and its spring/coil whatever you want to call it.

*mdmxc9 the schwinn is pretty good, the fork J1 is the same as dart 1, same level as motobecane and ibex 450.
    The shifters and rear derailler are deore lx level, with the front derailler kind of generic, buts its fine since the front doesnt see as much abuse.

If you offer the seller, you can do $300 and I know he will accept.

If you don't like the color, you can try for the '05 Mesa GSD which has deore level components and its about $315 on ebay shipped.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I think it is elastomer from reading the manual.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by DocMDReidy
    todd_freeride

Would you explain to me why this fork, a Marzocchi MZ1 w/lockdown wouldn't last. Is it due to the engineering and/or technology (elastometer?), the OP's size and or weight, riding style (which I don't believe he's indicated)? I know nothing about MTB's but will be purchasing soon and I too have looked at the IH Warrior Expert. Info appreciated.

Doc
    "I'm just an old chunk of coal but I'm going to be a diamond some day."
    BJShaver

elastomers are a real fork of the past. its just due to design, over time they become brittle and loose their bounce. they're also really hard to find parts for. as someone else mentioned, maybe the MZ1 is different ? I've always known of these forks being elastomer forks. especially with those silly plastic preload caps. I had a MZ comp back in the day, it was a really good fork. but twords the end, yea ...it was wearing out.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The MZ1 is one side: Coil/MCU, one side: Lock-up hydraulic cartridge / comp. adj.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah, I don't think they use elastomers anymore.. I have a rockshox Jett 1998 that even has a spring inside it.

mtbr member
    What do you guys think of this Schwinn on ebay? It looks like a great deal to me. The reviews on here say good things about the RockShox J1, and all the components are at least mid-level. The only problem is the color is kind of ugly.

J1, is that based off the old Judy shock???

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    over time I think so, the newer J1s and Dart 1s are probably identical.. both are still low end, but not bad for entry level.

Portland, OR
    I havent ridden the dart, but I was really impressed with the J1 I was expecting something like the judy...NOT! whole different animal. rockshox really took entry level fork to the next level as did manitou.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Well, I made an offer on the Schwinn...at about $200 less than my other choices, I think it was too good to pass up. I think the IH may have a few better parts, but many are the same.

Freshly Fujified

I hope you get it

Jeez...even at $349.00 how the heck can you go wrong? Let us know if they accept the offer. If they do, you gotta tell us what you paid for it.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I got it! $300 + 50 shipping... I bet I could part it out and make a profit if I wanted to

mtbr member
    I got it! $300 + 50 shipping... I bet I could part it out and make a profit if I wanted to

nice man.

Members who have read this thread: 0