IH MkIII Comp or Mongoose Teocali Elite- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

IH MkIII Comp or Mongoose Teocali Elite

I posted a lengthier version of this in the All Mountain forum. I Have a Haro Shift but am looking for a more efficient AM rig. RS Cycle has MkIII Comp for $1099, Ebay has Teocali Elite for @$900 (about 1/2 ) price. Read great things about both, which is the better bike with price being a factor? Thanks.

Dave
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch169
    I posted a lengthier version of this in the All Mountain forum. I Have a Haro Shift but am looking for a more efficient AM rig. RS Cycle has MkIII Comp for $1099, Ebay has Teocali Elite for @$900 (about 1/2 ) price. Read great things about both, which is the better bike with price being a factor? Thanks.
    Dave
    I saw the 2006 Iron Horse MKIII Comp today at Performance Bike. For $1,099, it's a good buy. The only comment I have is that it seemed a little heavy. But hey, for that price, I'd grab it if I wanted a FS. I haven't seen the Mongoose, but I doubt the components are as good as the MKIII. The MKIII originally retailed for $2299 or so. At Performance Bike today, it was on sale for $1599. So you are beating their price by $500.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Jaskom; 02-22-2007 at 12:04 AM.

mtbr member
    The components on the Mongoose seem to be as good (based on reviews here, better shock and brakes, same fork) and more importantly it seems that the magazines all love the FreeDrive system. It also has a longer travel frame. I know the suggested retail on the iH is higher but I think Mongoose has really priced their bikes to sell. The Teo Super is the same retail price as the Mk III Comp and has much better components.

Dave

http://mongoose.com/bikes/detail_us...._US&brandID=66

Bike to the Bone...
    The components on the Mongoose seem to be as good (based on reviews here, better shock and brakes, same fork) and more importantly it seems that the magazines all love the FreeDrive system. It also has a longer travel frame. I know the suggested retail on the iH is higher but I think Mongoose has really priced their bikes to sell. The Teo Super is the same retail price as the Mk III Comp and has much better components.

Dave

http://mongoose.com/bikes/detail_us...._US&brandID=66
    While I don't place too much attention on the rear suspension design, I believe DW-Link is better than the FreeDrive. Also, I haven't seen both bikes so I can't really tell, but I think that the MK III frame is better than the Teocalli, but I'm more partialy biased toward IH than Mongoose.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    While I don't place too much attention on the rear suspension design, I believe DW-Link is better than the FreeDrive. Also, I haven't seen both bikes so I can't really tell, but I think that the MK III frame is better than the Teocalli, but I'm more partialy biased toward IH than Mongoose.
    I second this...the DW link is very similar to the Maestro on my Trance 2...absolutely unbelieveable how well it works. That's a smokin deal on the IH!

Trail Rider

My buddy bought one

He paid $1700 on sale. He loves it. I spent some time on it and thought the suspension worked excellent. It was heavier than some similar travel bikes, but the suspension performed so well, that it was a great climber. The Expert model with the Pike is also a good deal(A little more all mountain).
    Don

mtbr member
    Sounds like the IH is the overwhelming favorite! I appreciate the feedback because I will be buying without trying the bike out.

mtbr member
    I have not tried either bike. But from the reviews I have read
    out of Mountainbike Action and others the Mongoose had better performance in pedal bob and the pike on the front alone gets
    rave reviews. Tough call the Mongoose is only 31 pounds
    pretty light for all mountain rig.

Good Luck you really cant go wrong with either bike for the price you
    have found.

mtbr member
    The Teo Elite doesn't get the Pike, It has the Revelation which is exactly the same as the fork on the IH.

mtbr member

Pike on the 07

The Teo Elite doesn't get the Pike, It has the Revelation which is exactly the same as the fork on the IH.
    You're right. The Revelation was on the '06 Teocali. The Teocali Elite and Super both have a Pike for '07.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I had the same decision to make as u, between a mongoose teo super or ih mk3... both are very efficient pedalers, but I think the ih slightly outclasses the goose in pedal performance because of the platform shock and because of lesser travel...

Reason I chose the Teo is because of the suspension design, its way plusher than the ih. I believe the chainstays on the goose are shorter too. So if you are doing more downhill than uphill, the goose would be great. If more uphill than downhill, you r better off with the mark3

my goose. planning to switch to marzo am1sl or rs pike. and some magura brakes.

Last edited by prestavalve; 03-07-2007 at 07:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the great insight, that's a beautiful bike. I need to make a decision soon. Here in Maine the trails are pretty gnarly, the bike will not be seeing fast, sweeping fireroads, so it may be advantageous to have a bike with closer to 6" of travel rather than 5". Part of the reason I am looking to limit myself budget-wise is to spend some extra money addressing the weaker compnents on either bike. I know the shock isn't stellar on either bike, and if I buy the goose I may be inclined to get get a longer fork like you are doing, prestavalve. The brakes on both bikes are okay but I may upgrade there as well.

I believe at that price point those bikes can be improved upon and still only have maybe $1500 invested, is this sound reasoning?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    whatever you do, dont get the minute. it blows lol.

if I were u id probably sell the original fork on the mongoose and get a used rockshox pike, those things are pretty tough

I would also sell the front brake, and buy a magura or avid 185... but the rear brake should do fine.

anyway, I think the budget is fine. =)

oh yeah, put a 2.3 in the back... the teo comes with 2.1s, and to add to the insult they r kendas, with whimpy thin sidewalls

mtbr member
    Went to LBS last night, cool guy. He is a Mongoose dealer and has some Teo Comps in stock so I could check one out more closely. He also has no problem building a dealer-ready bike for me so an offer is in on the Teo Elite!

mtbr member
    I accepted a counteroffer this morning and will soon be receiving my large Mongoose Teocali Elite. I also bought a brand new 06 All Mountain 1 ETA 130-150 mm fork which will be installed during bike assembly. Thanks for all the great input, the deciding factor was the support of the LBS regarding the Mongoose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How much was the counteroffer?

mtbr member
    $890. I had hoped for better (of course) but for under $985 shipped (+$45 at the LBS to build it) I can't complain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    $890. I had hoped for better (of course) but for under $985 shipped (+$45 at the LBS to build it) I can't complain.
    Let us know how the seller is and their quality of bike/shipment. That seems like a good deal!

BTW how much is your LBS building the bike for? If it's a chain, care to say what chain?

mtbr member
    It's not a chain, just a local shop that has been around. He is charging $45, the same as a tune-up. He also said he would work with Mongoose if anything was missing/damaged. I contacted the seller before buying and he said the bikes are in boxes just as they arrive at the dealer. I will let you know how things go when the bike arrives.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    gratz

Members who have read this thread: 0