If You had to Choose- Mtbr.com

Poll: If You Could Choose

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

If You had to Choose

Here's the long and short. I'm looking to build up a bike in the near future (over the next year or so) to replace my old one. Given things fall in to place, I'd like to build my dream bike. That doesn't necessarily mean a $6K+ super bike, but something nice I can enjoy for a very long time. I plan on riding almost exclusively XC singletrack, along with XC racing. The track is technical, but no serious drops, jumps, or downhill sections. I'm looking for a do-it-all bike I can race on Sunday and ride for fun during the week, and one that will last for a long time, as I won't be buying a new bike anytime soon after this one. So the question is, what would you choose, and why?
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

AZ
    banned
    Yeti Big Top , big wheeled hardtail .

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a Yeti ASR-C and love it. The bike is
    very fast and climbs great. However I think all
    the bikes on your list would be nice to have.
    Not a bad one in the bunch.

Best, John

Former Bike Wrench
    Niner RIP, Stumpjumper Expert FSR 29, Fisher Rumblefish, Salsa Big Mama would be my list.

All can be had for around 3K complete...I'd probably go with the RIP as I like multi-link bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I like the idea of the Niner or Stumpy, though I'm trying to keep more of an XC geometry. I have a long torso, so the long TTs of XC bikes actually feel pretty nice on a typical ride. But, the Stumpy has certainly been a consideration. I don't know much about Salsa.
    I probably wouldn't go with the Rumblefish. I demoed one a couple of weeks ago, and really wasn't terribly impressed. The fit was nice, it did a great job of absorbing bumps, and was very stable on downhill sections, but the pedal-bob was pretty bad and the handling felt sluggish.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

T.W.O.
    Trance X, Mojo SL, Pivot Mach 4 or 5 or 429. Solid pedaling bike good for racing as well as trail riding. May be just change the tire set up for racing, if needed. Racer X, and ASR-C are also a good choices but a bit longer travel wouldn't hurt when you are not racing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The Mojo would be awesome, but probably out of my price range. I can barely find used Mojo frames, and when I do, they go for a lot. The Trance X may be worth considering. Last time I thought about it, the store owner steered me away, so it hasn't really been on my list lately. Pivot wouldn't be bad, but I have a hard time finding those as well.
    Thanks for the ideas, and definitely keep them coming!

T.W.O.
    What's your budget? full bike or just frame

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Most likely a frame for now, unless I find an insane deal on a used complete bike. As far as budget, is flexible, but I'm trying to spend something under $700 for a frame. Doesn't seem like much, but I've seen some good used frames going for less than that. The rest of it isn't under any strict budget. I plan to build over time as to spread out the cost, hopefully finishing sometime next year. At the same time, I don't see a reason in owning the absolute top end components, as I'm not a hardcore racer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So, it looks like you all think the Yeti is one of the best ones of the bunch. What's your reason for that? Why do you think they're the best of the bunch?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I got a really good deal on a Yeti ASR-Carbon frame, and
    built the bike up from there. It was so much better in every
    way than my 07 Top Fuel SL that I sold it. I had a 575 before
    I got the ASR-C and I liked the way Yeti bikes ride.

Best, John

T.W.O.

ASR yes but which ones

Quote Originally Posted by GPRider08
    So, it looks like you all think the Yeti is one of the best ones of the bunch. What's your reason for that? Why do you think they're the best of the bunch?
    You did not specify the ASR as you know there's the ASR-C the John mention about 4" rear travel
    Then ASR5 5" and the one I'm thinking (J/K) is the ASR 7. I'd like that one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Crap, you mean not everyone can read my mind? I guess I meant the 4", ASR alloy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    GPrider08, not counting the Superlight all the bikes on
    your list can be had in carbon. I vote to skip the alloy, and
    come to the dark side, carbon that is.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That might be really nice. I don't know if I can fully justify a full carbon frame though. If I'm only doing a hand-full of novice races a year and riding 2-4 times a week, is the carbon worth the extra $?

Members who have read this thread: 0