IBEX Trophy Comp Opinions (or IBEX opinions in general)?...- Mtbr.com

Apr 2006

IBEX Trophy Comp Opinions (or IBEX opinions in general)?...

As some of you know, I'm looking for a sub-$1,000 hardtail. I'd just about decided on the Fisher Tassajara, but I'll be danged if the best deal out there doesn't seem to be the IBEX Trophy Series. The Comp is priced under $800 with disc brakes, LX or better components throughout and quality everything else. I also like the look - the 2006 model is pretty sharp. I guess my only questions would have to do with frame quality and buying a bike online. What are your thoughts? It seems like IBEX is giving me a tremendous bang for my buck. I'm buying something that I would consider Hoo-Koo-E-Koo (using Fisher as a reference) quality for about $300-400 less. This will be my first mountain bike purchase in some time so I want to do it right.

What do y'all think?

w

ride hard take risks
    The Ibex frame is excelent quality. There are only a few frame manufactures around so alot of them are comming from the same place with different labels. The geometry is excelent & will climb as good as any race HT out there. Ibex offers a lifetime warranty on the frame. They basically offer the same warranty as alot of major manufactures but with a bonus of when you call them you get a person to speak with that will actuall listen to you & can help you. As you noted the component spec is excelent for the price. The customer service is awsome!

Apr 2006
    Are you an IBEX owner? The 2006 Trophy Comp. is pretty sweet if you ask me. LX-throughout is a huge plus. Most bikes with this comp. list are running $1200 and up from what I've seen. I think I'll give these guys a call. You make a great point about the frame manufacturers.

Thanks!

w

ride hard take risks
    Almost waiting on the Asta. I'm riding a Versus Blitz FR/AM bike at 40lbs. Have been very impressed with quality & customer service from Ibex. To me dealing with good people is very important, you know they care.

:\ ping of death
    Where are Ibex frames made?
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

Mar 2006
    Ibex says they are made in Taiwan, where the larger frame makers are (or were, as things shift to China). I think he said the whole bike is built in Taiwan, but using parts that are available here in the US.

Waiting for my Asta too...

ride hard take risks
    That Asta is going to be a sweet XC bike!!

Apr 2006
    I have been searching for a bike at the same price point as willx. I'm glad I found this forum and it directed me to Ibex. I have been torn between the Trophy Comp and Pro. Don't know that I need all the Pro offers but the pricing is so darn good. I called Ibex and spoke with Will and placed my pre-order earlier this week. You are so right dogonfr dealing with the Ibex people is a great experience, very knowledgable, very helpful. The only rotten part is the Trophy's and I think the Asta's got bumped out to May 10th for expected delivery. I have been riding my old Trek 930 for ten years, very excited about getting my new Ibex.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by wisart
    I have been searching for a bike at the same price point as willx. I'm glad I found this forum and it directed me to Ibex. I have been torn between the Trophy Comp and Pro. Don't know that I need all the Pro offers but the pricing is so darn good. I called Ibex and spoke with Will and placed my pre-order earlier this week. You are so right dogonfr dealing with the Ibex people is a great experience, very knowledgable, very helpful. The only rotten part is the Trophy's and I think the Asta's got bumped out to May 10th for expected delivery. I have been riding my old Trek 930 for ten years, very excited about getting my new Ibex.
    Congratulations wisart you will be very happy with your Ibex! Ya i heard the bad news but the bright side is April is almost over.

Apr 2006
    Hey dogonfr do you think there is a big difference between the Pro and the Comp. I don't race and really don't plan to... I just get out twice a week and do about 15 miles on some local trails, some more technical than others. I'm okay with having LX instead of XT but the front fork on the pro is really interesting. Also not too concerned with having hydraulic over the mechanical disc brakes, anything should be better than my worn out v's!

ride hard take risks
    The Comp is well set up, the XT's are a step up but the LX can still take a pounding very well & if you wear it out in 5 years upgrade then. The BB7 brakes are excelent, i have hit some good DH on them no problem. Oh that R7 is sweet!!! The Splice is a great fork for the price, it has all the bells & whistles TPC, lockout, compression, rebound pleanty to keep you occupied.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Are you comfortable working on your own bike? If not, you might want to consider buying local. LBS's lots of times help out thier customers but don't cut any breaks to bikes that they did not sell. I do not blame them, but if I was not okay working on my own I would be buying local.

As for the IBEX Trophy Comp, I think the Ibex would be a great bike. I was looking at sub $800 hardtails too and almost went with the IBEX. However, I thought the '05 Iron Horse Warrior Race from Bicycle Blowout was a better buy. Mainly because I prefer SRAM to Shimano. But other things I like about it are the Hayes HFX 9 XC hydraulic brakes and the Rock Shox Pilot SL fork. Both of which get great reviews on mtbr.com. The weekest points on the Iron Horse is the no name hubs and deore front derailleur.

ride hard take risks
    Any LBS should have no problem working on a brand they dont sell. The differance between brands is the logo on the frame, they all use generic components that all dealers work with. It never hurts to get a relationship with a LBS even if you work on your own bikes because you never know when you need their help. I do all my maintenance but i also have a LBS that i use frequently for parts, advise or hitting the trail & finding a problem, their great. They are people too & a 12 pack goes a long way.
    All this component stuff is personal, i have my complaints about a component that gets great reviews but the one that gets bad reviews has never let me down.

Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wisart
    The only rotten part is the Trophy's and I think the Asta's got bumped out to May 10th for expected delivery.
    Yes, all the Asta's are now listed as May 10th on the Ibex website. You would think I could be more patient, it has been 12 years since I bought my last bike.

Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbakercad
    Are you comfortable working on your own bike? If not, you might want to consider buying local. LBS's lots of times help out thier customers but don't cut any breaks to bikes that they did not sell. I do not blame them, but if I was not okay working on my own I would be buying local.
    I actually talked to my local LBS and told them I was buying the Ibex. They said they would prefer to sell me a bike but were more than happy to service it if necessary. Plus I buy all my accessories from them. Shoes, pumps, kits all sorts of materials!

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by dcairns
    Yes, all the Asta's are now listed as May 10th on the Ibex website. You would think I could be more patient, it has been 12 years since I bought my last bike.
    It will be worth it, every time the phone rings im waiting to see the word Ibex across the screen.

Freshly Fujified

Nice bike

Ibex definitely makes a nice bike. I own an '04 RSR B 24, and it's a great bike. They are well made and as you've already seen, can't be beat on their spec for the price. As for the LBS, they can't be too happy that you didn't buy from them, but as they said, there shouldn't be a reason for them not to work on it. Don't expect them to cut you any slack though. I'd learn to do some of the adjustments and simple repairs on your own, and rely on them for more complex work.

Best wishes, and let us know how you like the bike.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I agree with learning to do some of your own work. I was surprised just how easy it is. Up until this year, the only thing I would do to my bike is change a tire/tube. When I decided I would limit my bike choices to area dealers, I figured I better learn how to work on them myself. A mechanic friend of mine helped me build a new road bike from a bare frame. I still need assistance from time to time, but overall I'm doing all my own maintenance. Not only is it more convenient and cheaper, but I like the satisfaction that I wrenched it myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I was not suggesting they cannot do the work. Just that you may not get the same treatment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sounds like they will work with you, that is great!

LBS that I tend to work with the most is a Trek & Cannondale dealer. I like both bikes, but to get one spec'ed like the IBEX would cost several hundreds more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nice! That is going to be some upgrade from your old bike. My mtn bike is 10 years old too. What surprised me, is that the new bike I'm getting has much higher spec components on it than my old Cannondale did back in it's day. I guess it is not a fair comparison in pricing because I"m getting a new one on closeout, but still.

Cannondale had Alivo/LX components, Acera hubs, no name cantilever brakes, and a rigid fork and it cost me $799 + tax at the time. New bike has a nice fork, Sram X7, Hayes Hydrualics, etc and got it for $780 shipped!

Members who have read this thread: 0