Ibex Trophy Comp/Kona Caldera/Specialized Comp Disc/Trek 6700- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Ibex Trophy Comp/Kona Caldera/Specialized Comp Disc/Trek 6700

I am jumping back into Mt Biking and I need your esteemed direction regarding which bike to purchase. I believe that I have narrowed down the list to the bikes in the title of this post however I am open to other suggestions. I am 5'11", 185, a strong road rider and will use the mt bike for intense hour-long rides for training, longer (primarily fire road) rides in the Mammoth Lakes area and taking my children (12 & 13) out for rides in the neighborhood (Marin county.)

I suspect that the Ibex is the best bang for the buck however my decision is complicated because I would like to support my LBS (Ceasar's in San Anselmo) as I am hopefully purchasing a couple of Konas from them for my kids and I hope to negotiate a discount on three bikes; the Kona Caldera is the one that I would purchase there.

Anywho, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated in advance! If any of you are reading this and are in my neck of woods and you are reading this post during this incredibly beautiful day, DO NOT respond now and get the heck outside and properly enjoy the day!

Cheers,
    David

Freshly Fujified

Get the Caldera

Welcome to the forums. Hopefully you'll get some good advice here. While I'm a huge proponent of buying online, and personally own 2 Ibex bikes, I say buy the Caldera. If you're set on getting two other bikes from the LBS and want to support them, a 3 bike purchase will hopefully be incentive for the shop to give you a decent deal on all three. Not only that, but they'll remember a guy who has made that significant a purchase.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Cuánto pesa?

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hi David. welcome to the Forums..

The way Bob (CmC) laid out the buy all three Konas (you also mentioned) plan makes perfect sense..
    If you care to do a comparisons, make things a little easier on us.. Maybe you'd be kind and put the
    links up to the bikes your considering..I'm feeling lazy today

Ibex Trophy Comp
    Kona Caldera
    Specialized Comp Disc
    Trek 6700

Jake..
    Last edited by Jake Pay; 03-10-2007 at 12:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

here are the links to the bikes

Jake and Bob,

Thanks for the direction; please accept my apologies for not providing links to the four bikes on the short list. I too am leaning towards the Caldera mainly because of my desire to support the local bike peddler and the dang Ibex will not be available until mid-April and I want to pull the trigger now.

Here are the links; please advise me if you still feel the Konas are the way to go or if you have any other suggestions...thanks again, D

Ibex Trophy Comp: http://ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-Details.html
    Kona Caldera: http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/CALDERA/index.html
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22165
    Trek 6700: http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1044600&f=18

mtbr member
    If you want to support your LBS I say just go for it... Caldera is a nice bike and there's nothing wrong with it, and if you can get a discount for buying 3 bikes at a time that's even better.

Ibex is awesome but if you're going to buy a bike, waiting 45 days is a LOONG time.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I bought my wife a Caldera -- strong bike with a very good build for the price. No weak parts. A looker too in black.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Ride Everything
    I have an 06 Caldera, and I really like it. The stock fork, however, isn't the greatest, and I replaced it with an 07 Marz MX Pro, which was a huge improvement.

Here's my (heavily modified) Caldera:

Cuánto pesa?

Cool-blue Rhythm If you dont want to wait till April..This is easy...

Trek
    Imo.. RS Tora 318, Sram and Avid are the selling points..The rest of the package isn't to shabby either..

If its all about $$$..Go for the Kona and see what kind of price you can get on the 3fer deal..
    The money you save can go for a fork up-grade..

Jake..

PS. Thanks for the links

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

That is one sweet looking rig...

[QUOTE=MileHighMark]I have an 06 Caldera, and I really like it. The stock fork, however, isn't the greatest, and I replaced it with an 07 Marz MX Pro, which was a huge improvement.

...and while the black '07 is nice, your gold '06 is an excellent color! Thanks for the feedback and pic, D

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Jake, I knew that you...

...were gonna give me something to think about...and burn the bigger hole in my pocket

As circumstance will have it, the local Trek shop (Sunshine Bikes in Fairfax) is also willing to negotiate on three bikes so I will just narrow down the selection to the Treks and Konas and let my girls decide by which colors they like and let that drive the decision

I will start the negotiations and report back next weekend as to which brand the stable will include.

Thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0