mtbr member
    Dec 2004

IBEX Ignition 2 or Giant DS 2?

Hey everyone, I'm lookin to get into a FS for around $500. Now I know I won't get anything super great, but the IBEX Ignition 2 and the Giant DS 2 are bikes I'm looking at now. Which one do you guys think is better (in case anyone doesn't know, the 2005 model Ignition 2 comes with a new 4 bar rear suspension, which is supposed to nearly eliminate petal bob, but I don't know how well that works, and it has disc brakes)?

Freshly Fujified

Toss up

In many ways the Ignition specs out better than the Warp, BUT, both bikes will need to be upgraded. I lean towards the Giant ( I own a DS2, so I'm partial ) mostly because of their years of expertise in design, production, distribution, warranty, etc. You won't be able to test ride the Ibex, either, so sizing and overall feel of the bike will be a guess, at best.

Check with some Ibex Ignition owners and see what their thoughts are on the limitations. As for the Warp DS2 limitations, the first things I upgraded were the fork, wheelset, and soon, disc brakes. When the drivetrain goes, it will need to be upgraded, but for now, it's been fine.

I hope this helps. Let us know what you end up buying.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I own an Ignition 2 and it is great for 500$. Very strong frame, and 31.8mm handlebar/stem. It is very sturdy. A few upgrades you might want to make... the front derailleur and maybe headset. The disc brakes are good. And the Ibex customer service is the best. Call Ibex, talk to Jack. You will want the bike.