mtbr member
    Feb 2018

I need an upgrade

So I'm still riding my 1998 S-Works hardtail with a marzocchi 80mm X-Fly fork. It's time to upgrade. I ride single track, but no steep drop offs, and overall cross country of all types of terrain from technical to fire roads. (I ride in So Cal/Angelus Oaks area) I'm looking at the 27.5 Stumpjumper or the Camber. I'm not interested in 29in wheels. Considering the bike I've been riding for nearly 20 years I'm imaging that going to a modern bike would be a massive difference. Will I notice any difference between the Stumpjumper and the Camber? I'm leaning toward the Camber because of price alone, but I'm wondering if there is any reason why I should hold out for the SJ. From what I've been reading they are very similar geometry wise.

Thanks in advance for any advice/insight!

mtbr member
    SJ has more travel and judging by the description of your riding, a Camber would be faster and more efficient.

I know you're not interested in 29, but I went from a 2003 fs to a modern fs bike and the biggest improvement was going from 26 to 29 wheels, which made an enormous difference in the rough terrain I ride. I could ride much faster and with more comfort. Of course the improved suspension, geometry, and 1X were all there as well. In your case, going from a 80mm hard tail to modern FS will be enormous in itself irrespective of wheel size. IMO, one thing you'll certainly notice is the slower steering slacker geo and less responsive pedaling.
    Do the math.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJHill View Post
    So I'm still riding my 1998 S-Works hardtail with a marzocchi 80mm X-Fly fork. It's time to upgrade. I ride single track, but no steep drop offs, and overall cross country of all types of terrain from technical to fire roads. (I ride in So Cal/Angelus Oaks area) I'm looking at the 27.5 Stumpjumper or the Camber. I'm not interested in 29in wheels. Considering the bike I've been riding for nearly 20 years I'm imaging that going to a modern bike would be a massive difference. Will I notice any difference between the Stumpjumper and the Camber? I'm leaning toward the Camber because of price alone, but I'm wondering if there is any reason why I should hold out for the SJ. From what I've been reading they are very similar geometry wise.

Thanks in advance for any advice/insight!
    So far as i know both bikes share the same front triangle.

Not sure why you'd avoid 29ers, they do a better job making lightweight tubeless tires feel good on XC terrain- total upgrade. Maybe you're short.

Your bike is fairly incompetent compared to basically anything available. You have a 1950s 911 when a casual enthusiast rolls in a cayman S. What's fun with the vintage ride is the daily commute with any modern vehicle. Who knows what you might enjoy with the proper equipment?

Between camber and stumpjumper... your perspective is broken. They're the same thing. For someone accustomed to these bikes they'll think that build kit trumps travel, and the camber is more responsive/fun for easier trails and the SJ has more reserves of confidence... but that won't matter to you. Either will feel bizarre and incredible.

Nobody can tell you what to do. I would look at where you want your riding to take you. Do you have access to properly rough trails and you like that? Get a stumpjumper. If you mostly ride smooth XC fireroads and singletrack, get the camber. Get the nicest fork/brakes you can justify, and learn to set them up properly. If you wanna keep your bike another 20 years don't get a specialized. They're slowly enlarging their pivot hardware, dumping pressfit, and building functional wheels, but they're not there yet.

(i don't really follow specialized yearly rollouts, so i may be out of date)
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov