I need some advice.- Mtbr.com
    new build

New question here. I need some advice.

Hi, I'm looking to get back into biking after a three year hiatus. I'm coming from the bmx world and lack mtb info. I appreciate any help. So this is what I'm looking for...

1. Budget, 1000 to 1500

2. What bikes, if any, are you already considering? none

3. What type of riding do you intend to do? A bit of DJ, and urban, some trail

4. Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension? HT

5. Age, weight and height. 26/6"/210

6. What sources will you consider buying from? Who ever has what I'm looking for.

7. Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources? of course

I really want a SS with front suspension, 96er maybe?.
    Last edited by lumpy81; 01-26-2008 at 02:00 AM.
    I can't shred.

mtbr member
    I came from the BMX world back in the day. Depends on what you prefer, but alot of guys that recently came from BMX are big into dirt jumping, however you're limited on where you can go and the bikes are not as easy to ride on trails. A good hardtail (rides more like a BMX bike), will be what you shluld start with because you can ride just about anywhere. You probably won't like a full suspension off the bat except when decending, besides starting on a hardtail teaches you how to ride better. You don't have to choose your lines as well on a FS because you can just run over stuff. And you really need to figure our your riding preferences before getting a full suspension. There are SOOO MANY choices out there of FS bikes and you need some time in the saddle before knowing what you'll want, and you can get a better speced hardtail for the same price as a lesser speced FS.

PS: I ride a full rigid singlespeed mountain bike 95% of the time over my geared full suspension and hardtail bikes due to being more fun and challenging............. but that another chapter you might want to checkout on the singlespeed forum further down.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Versus Jab??? Grace seems to like it... XD But seriously, Versus has the slopestyle, freeride and dirtjump bikes down. Their Versus Blitz II is awesome in both slopestyle and freeride. I can only imagine how their DJ frame will do...

https://www.versuscycles.com/jab_detail.html

my fun has a hurting
    another bike to look at is the santa cruz chameleon. its super versatile and damn near bulletproof. pair it with an adjustable fork (any rock shox with u-turn for example) and you can use one for nearly everything.

Grand Poobah
    I second the recommendation for a Santa Cruz Chameleon. It is ridable as a trail bike, but if can handle DJ and urban riding as well.

new build
    Thanks for the help fellas, I think I'm going buy a santa cruz. Why would the chameleon be better than the jackal though?
    I can't shred.

Grand Poobah
    I have a Jackal. But I am recommending the Chameleon... The Jackal is a DJ bike and you would not want it for general trail riding... trust me.

The Jackal is a bomb-proof frame, but it will not be comfortable for extended riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0