I need opinions and advice on buying a bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm I need opinions and advice on buying a bike

I LOVE mountain biking, but I am sick of bikes that I have to fix on the fly every time i push it a little too far. I need a bike that can handle what I throw at it. Unfortunately I can only spend about $400 on a bike, which is about $300 more than I've spent on my last POS.

I have done all types of biking since I was very young, but I have never before cared about the quality and specs of the bikes I've used.
    I need advice on what I should be purchasing including frame size.

I am about 5' 9" 150 lbs
    I will probably use this bike for just about everything but my passion is mountain biking, preferably downhill.

I want a tough frame, a legitimate full suspension, front and rear disk brakes, and gears that will continue to perform properly after long use

on my $400 budget (preferably including shipping) what is the ideal bike for me?
    I'm open to any other advice anyone has to offer

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I recently bought a bike myself... and my budget was going to be $500. I had a very hard time finding bikes I REALLY wanted / liked in that range. You will have to find a nice used bike in that range if you want dual suspension and disc brakes. Don't know where you are located, but here (Colorado) it's hard to find a NICE used bike for even 400 to 500. Not sure where to point you, I couldn't find a bike I wanted for 500, I had to up my budget to 1000 to get something I really liked (used).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I appreciate the reply. I'm currently located in Delaware, which I don't recommend to anyone.
    I have found several bikes new and used online. mostly on ebay, I found a cannondale that I might bid on but I'm trying to do more research first

Granny Gear Guru
    If you have $400 get a hard tail. You will have a really hard time finding a decent FS bike with that money. What are you currently riding that is so bad?
    10 Specialized Hardrock
    Looking for a new bike...... selling one?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    its was a walmart Mongoose. if I get a hard tail, I need it to be sturdy enough for downhill and jumps

Granny Gear Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzFilmz
    its was a walmart Mongoose. if I get a hard tail, I need it to be sturdy enough for downhill and jumps
    That should be quite easy really. Just don't buy a HT from walmart. The specialized Hardrock can take a beating and can be had for less than $400. Trek makes a HT in that price range as well, in fact most companies have a good HT you could get new.
    10 Specialized Hardrock
    Looking for a new bike...... selling one?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    any opinions on the K2 brass monkey HT?

Members who have read this thread: 0