i need an interpreter, i dont speak mb yet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

i need an interpreter, i dont speak mb yet

I'm so new at this I don't have a bike, but have slapped down a deposit at a LBS (I have learned that). I would like to know if anyone has looked at the specs or has a KHS Alite1000? I did test ride the Alite 500 & liked it, but wanted disk brakes & seperate shifter/brake levers. Could anyone offer up any solid advice toward my purchase or would I be better off to get my deposit back & keep shopping. This is my first mb J first bike in 22 yrs. I don't mind the price too much if its worth it. As for the type riding I will be doing, right now I'm living out in the country with lots of dirt roads, powerline cuts, old fire breaks, & logging roads. Not all of them are open for me to access, but there are plenty. I plan to ride here on my familys 38 acres until I get used to riding, & used to the bike. I'm 5'10, 220# & trying to get into shape. The size bike the lbs reccomended a 19", does this seem right, because I don't know. Thanx in advance!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I don't know geometry on that frame but a 19" frame sounds big for you.

mtbr member
    I think you got a pretty good bike. Its set up with 27 speeds, hydraulic disc brakes, Kenda Small block. You wont be able to find better value from Specialized or Giant. This is pretty much the type of bike I would recommend for an entry level rider if you have the funds. The 19 inch size is what I would be looking at. If you really get into biking most people get another bike ever couple of years. I have bought six bikes over the past eight years. Anyways you made a smart choice.

On the size of the bike I think the 19 inch will be ok. If you have relatively long legs and a short torso it might be a little small. You would want to check the 17 inch bike out and raise the seat if you have long legs. If you are a knucle dragger with a long torso the 19 will be a pretty decent fit.
    Last edited by borregokid; 05-13-2010 at 07:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Obviously ride the 19" along with the next smallest and biggest sizes, and pick the one that feels right. FWIW, I'm 5'11" and both my bikes are 19". When I started riding I was around 230lbs, now I'm at 195lbs!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I appreciate the info, I did try a 17 & 19 & the 19 did feel better. I was just wondering about size because all I have read about stand over & such. I'm really looking forward to getting on & getting riding. I've been going to the gym but I believe the bike will be the ticket for getting back in shape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb121973
    I appreciate the info, I did try a 17 & 19 & the 19 did feel better. I was just wondering about size because all I have read about stand over & such. I'm really looking forward to getting on & getting riding. I've been going to the gym but I believe the bike will be the ticket for getting back in shape.
    19 sounds right for your height, given normal proportions.

Standover is important as it measures the gap from the top tube to your nutsack Another key size indicator is look at how close (or not) your knees get to the handlebars as you're pedalling while seated. If the frame is too small, your knees will want to hit the handlebars. If too big, you'll feel like you're stretching to pedal.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good choice of bike and you're making the right decision going with the 1000 model given disc brakes and separate brake & shift levers. If you get back into biking, i'll bet you're gonna wanna start upgrading etc and the 1000 model is more versatile for that.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I went, looked, & test rode bikes; then went & consulted the infinite information of the internet. So I went back & started asking about disk brakes, & other components. We went to the books & starfted looking through specs of other brands they sell there. Well, the 1000 seemed to fit the bill the best. I was curious about the component sets, derailers & such. Because the mechanic up there was helping me with disseminating some of it. I wasn't sure if they're reaction was actually salesmanship or enthuiasism toward what came from the factory.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I went, looked, & test rode bikes; then went & consulted the infinite information of the internet. So I went back & started asking about disk brakes, & other components. We went to the books & starfted looking through specs of other brands they sell there. Well, the 1000 seemed to fit the bill the best. I was curious about the component sets, derailers & such. Because the mechanic up there was helping me with disseminating some of it. I wasn't sure if they're reaction was actually salesmanship or enthuiasism toward what came from the factory.
    Most salespeople in your LBS are very enthusiastic about bikes (you need to be to truly understand and apply product knowledge). Sometimes they'll take you for a whirlwind with all the info they know and it can leave you scratching your head...that's why test riding and feeling is key. Most bikes in lbs' come with decent components so i wouldn't be overly worried considering that you're still getting your head around understanding the different components and the lingo etc...

Do you have pic of the bike so we can take a peek

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm using a droid, which is new to me & I don't know how to uplaod pics to the internet. Plus, I don't have the bike yet. I put down 25% & told the not to order it until I came in & made the next payment; then when they got it assembled to call me & I will come pick it up. Its a small shop that doesn't have a lot of extra space, I figure that way it wouldn't be in their way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm using a droid, which is new to me & I don't know how to uplaod pics to the internet. Plus, I don't have the bike yet. I put down 25% & told the not to order it until I came in & made the next payment; then when they got it assembled to call me & I will come pick it up. Its a small shop that doesn't have a lot of extra space, I figure that way it wouldn't be in their way.
    Wow, you have patience!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My friend if you knew what shape my personal life was in & what ultimaely broought me to the life changes I'm making. You would probably stroke out. Paitence is a newly learned virtue & I'm in no hurry to put the new beginning to my life behind me. I'm going to savor every moment. Waiting is kinda like foreplay

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm going to savor every moment. Waiting is kinda like foreplay
    I should take note

mtbr member
    May 2010
    not to mention this gives me time to absorb other info about the other things I need. I've already picked up MB shorts, light set, & cyclometer on sale at another shop. When I pick up my bike I will get gloves, helmet & tools I need to have. Also I have a shopping cart saved of things like a camelback & some other goodies. When I get it along with the things I already picked up, I'm in almost $1200

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    not to mention this gives me time to absorb other info about the other things I need. I've already picked up MB shorts, light set, & cyclometer on sale at another shop. When I pick up my bike I will get gloves, helmet & tools I need to have. Also I have a shopping cart saved of things like a camelback & some other goodies. When I get it along with the things I already picked up, I'm in almost $1200
    Not cheap, i agree, but unlike golf, at least it's usually only a major one-time purchase and then future purchases are optional (unless you break something or really need/want an upgrade). Good luck

Members who have read this thread: 0