MTB anti-N00b!

New question here. I need an around-the-campus roadbike, under $250.

Howdy there,

Univiersity starts back in a week and I don't want to drag my mountain bike up to the campus. Because my mountain bike is expensive and would likely be stolen, I need to get my hands on a roadbike that I can keep in my dorm room and be able to travel around campus with.

I don't want to spend more than $250 (including tax and shipping) since I don't intend to race with it. I would get it from REI but all of the bikes there are expensive. I was looking at used bike stores around my area (atlanta-gwinnett, ga) and I did not find anything I liked.

I looked on eBay and found one particular seller that has a new roadbike in my price range. Check it out http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7171746488 .

Considering the price, is this a good deal? Is there something I should be aware of ?

Where else could I look ? Should I consider older bikes on eBay?

PS: Please keep in mind that my campus is really hilly so I don't want to get a really heavy bike with like 10 gears or something.
    PPS: I'm 5 foot 10 or so so I guess a medium / 56cm frame would work out well.

MTB anti-N00b!
    does anyone read these forums ?

mtbr member
    Yes. Not as much as bikeforums.net where you seemed to have gotten a lot more replies. I read your post there and I stand behind the Giant Suede as a good campus bike. However, I know you want a road bike so it will not do. Good Luck at school.

Freshly Fujified

Some thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper
    Howdy there,

Univiersity starts back in a week and I don't want to drag my mountain bike up to the campus. Because my mountain bike is expensive and would likely be stolen, I need to get my hands on a roadbike that I can keep in my dorm room and be able to travel around campus with.
    While I can't tell you if the Dawes is a good road bike, I can tell you that I've read enough posts about bikes for use at college that I can recommend one thing. Buy a used beater bike. The uglier the better. The likelihood of a bike being stolen on campus is extremely high, so assume that the money you spend will walk (or more appropriately ride) away, and you will need to replace it.

Best wishes,

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

MTB anti-N00b!
    thanks on the reply, im googling local bike shops right now ... maybe someone will have something i can afford