mtbr member
    Jan 2017

We the people ... I can't figure out what headset bearings to get.

I have the headset information from the manufacturer.
    HEADSET 1-1/8"" upper, 1-1/2"" lower, threadless, Campy style, cartridge bearings
    But regardless, I try and try googling this to no avail. I can not figure out where what I need is. I absolutely refuse to take it to my LBS. He messes literally everything up, things that I end up fixing on my own and I'm tired of it. I get blamed by him for crap that's his fault. He tries to "educate" me with clearly false information. Enough of my ranting. My bottom headset bearing has extreme play so it needs to be replaced. I'm able to find threadless bearings close to that spec, but I know that campy styles are different. Something about the angles being different on the chamfers or some crap. (There's next to no information on the internet for what a campy style is.) I really don't want to spend more than $25 for a set of the bearings. If someone could link me with a product page, I would be extremely grateful.
    Oh and if it helps, it's a 2016 Specialized Fuse 6fattie pro.

Turns right to go left
    Here:

https://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

the 36 deg bearings are now considered obsolete and the current standard is 45deg.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    Here:

https://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

the 36 deg bearings are now considered obsolete and the current standard is 45deg.
    Thanks, but I already looked through that one and the chris king one. Neither had my bike (again, 2016 Specialized Fuse Pro 6fattie)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm 94.3% that bike uses a IS42/28.6/H9 | IS52/40.

That's Cane Creek number for the upper and lower set in their 40 series. The meaning of the numbers is on their web page.

What makes you think there is anything "campy" about this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    To be fair to the OP, this is a copy/paste from Specialized's website. I don't understand the 'Campy' reference either, but that is coming from Specialized and not the OP. I think you are probably right on the headset though providing Campy indicates Italian according to Park Tools website.

To the OP, I would call a different Specialized shop just to confirm, since you don't trust your local one.

mtbr member
    I've run into this with Specialized too. I'm guessing Campy style means 45/45 degree bearings rather than 36/45...but I could be wrong on that one. Best thing is to yank them out and measure ID/OD, thickness and inner and outer chamfer angles.
    Do the math.

Turns right to go left
    Quote Originally Posted by shitbike View Post
    Thanks, but I already looked through that one and the chris king one. Neither had my bike (again, 2016 Specialized Fuse Pro 6fattie)
    While your specific bike is not listed on the CC or King headset finders, you will see that all of other 2016 Specialized MTB's (and road bikes) with 1-1/8"" upper, 1-1/2" lower IS headsets used IS 42/28.6 | IS 52/40 bearings. Both top and bottom are 45deg angle. As already stated, the 36 deg. angle bearings are obsolete and have not been used for a long time. This is what you need.

Still unsure? You can quickly verify this by reaching out to Cane Creek or King. They are great folks and will be happy to help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks guys, i'll try your suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by shitbike View Post
    Thanks guys, i'll try your suggestions.
    Hi there,
    I am also interested for changing bearings in headset of specialized enduro evo 2012. Did you try these suggestions ( 42/28,6 for top and 52/40 for bottom) ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kewre View Post
    Hi there,
    I am also interested for changing bearings in headset of specialized enduro evo 2012. Did you try these suggestions ( 42/28,6 for top and 52/40 for bottom) ?
    Honestly, I haven't. If it gets more problematic (which it hasn't, then I'll give it a shot.) The bearings are still bookmarked.