I bought the wrong frame size...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

I bought the wrong frame size...

I have a 2008 cannondale f5, which I bought off craigslist used.

It was a good deal, so I overlooked the slightly incorrect size.

As I get into riding more, I think it may actually be a serious impediment.

So, here's my question, how much will the frame hamper me?
    I am 6" and I have a medium size frame.

Here's a link to the geometry.
    http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...ame-technology
    Last edited by Ilya fordictator; 05-19-2010 at 05:24 PM.

AZ
    banned
    A large is likely a better choise .

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I know large would have been a better choice, that wasn't my question.

~Disc~Golf~
    the frame will hamper you 24.3%
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you already bought it, try it. If you have not bought it, don't!
    Set back seatpost and xl stem may help.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    the frame will hamper you 24.3%

At least , a poor fitting frame will probably not get ridden very much .

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have already purchased it, and seeing how I don't really have the money to replace the frame, then

Are there any adjustments I can make (other than seatpost) to make the bike more comfortable and better fitting?

EDIT: And yes, I ride the bike about 5-6 hours a week

mtbr member
    It will feel good going down hills, it will feel miserable going up hills. On long rides, your back will stiffen up and remain that way for days afterward. A long stem will do nothing but ruin the handling. Also, frames sell for almost the exact amount full bikes sell for. Sell it to a friend and start all over. (I did the same thing and ended up giving mine to my wife) On the plus side, you get to go bike shopping again.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilya fordictator
    I have already purchased it, and seeing how I don't really have the money to replace the frame, then

Are there any adjustments I can make (other than seatpost) to make the bike more comfortable and better fitting?

EDIT: And yes, I ride the bike about 5-6 hours a week

As Yogi Said, Set back seat post and a longer stem.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by siwilliams
    As Yogi Said, Set back seat post and a longer stem.

This IMHO will do nothing but ruin the handling of the bike .

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The medium is a 16". This is what most manufacturers spec as a small, this is not a "slightly" incorrect size. Usually a medium is a 17" or 18" Basically I am saying that you have a size small bike for a large person. If you ride it as is, you will not be able to get the seat up high enough which means you wil mess up your knees, and you will be really cramped. As mentioned already your only soultion is a longer seatpost and stem which will mess up the handling of the frame big time. But if you are a noob you most likely won't notice.

Bike fit is the most important aspect of a bike. It is no deal at all to buy an ill fitting bike regardless of the price.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS

Maybe but if he's not going to spring for a larger frame/bike there's not much else to do.

mtbr member
    The LBS I bought my bike at fit me to the wrong size. I am 5'10" with a long torso and they put me on a 17". I never really noticed it until almost a year after getting started, I thought being that uncomfortable was normal. One day I started to question the size, so I went to the LBS in the area I moved to and asked about the size. He did a full fitting on my bike, and it ended up being way too small. I ended up ordering a 130mm stem and setback seat post. It helped a good amount, still not perfect though. If you are not in a position to be buying a new bike/frame right now, do what I did, have a LBS do a fitting for you and order up a new stem/set back seat post, it's better than nothing. Hopefully next year I can get a new bike, or at least a new frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Here's another option:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/195...lloy-Frame.htm

Switch all the components over (seatpost and front derailleur may not swap) and sell the frame.

The other thing you will have to double check is the steerer tube length on your current bike. If it doesn't fit (i.e. has been cut too short), you would also be looking at a new fork. This may take this out of the realm of a bargain fix, or you may decide to do it and get a much nicer fork.

You could do almost the whole job with a handful of hex wrenches and screwdrivers, the bottom bracket and fork swap you should be able to get a bike shop to do pretty cheap.

David B.

keeping it dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    The medium is a 16". This is what most manufacturers spec as a small, this is not a "slightly" incorrect size. Usually a medium is a 17" or 18" Basically I am saying that you have a size small bike for a large person. If you ride it as is, you will not be able to get the seat up high enough which means you wil mess up your knees, and you will be really cramped. As mentioned already your only soultion is a longer seatpost and stem which will mess up the handling of the frame big time. But if you are a noob you most likely won't notice.

Bike fit is the most important aspect of a bike. It is no deal at all to buy an ill fitting bike regardless of the price.
    ^^This

My girlfriend (~5'3") has an '08 F5 in "small" and it is very small.. Definitely much smaller than the 16" GT I have, which is equivalent to a "small" in current GT and other bike manufacturers. I'm a short guy (5'7") and the small F5 seems tiny to me, I can't imagine trying to ride a medium frame if I was 6'.

Since you got a good deal on it, sell it and start over.. It's a nice bike and you should have no problem finding a buyer if the price is right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A medium has an effective top tube of nearly 60cm and only a half degree difference in seat tube angle between it and a large (their chart is farked up and juxtaposes STA and actual TT). Unless you've got gorilla arms, incredibly short legs or a really long torso @ 6' I'd say a medium is just fine. Many people intentionally buy slightly small frames because they want a lighter, quicker, easier to flick bike. I don't see this size as being out of range at all. Pay no attention to the seat tube size. It has little to do with sizing the frame as long as stand over height is adequate, which there is plenty of for this bike.

For comparison, my 19.5 Felt RXC Team frame has an effective TT of 62cm. The 17.5 has an ETT of 59cm. I'm 6'2" and of normal proportions and the 19.5 fits me like a glove. At 6' you should fit fine on a bike with a 59.6cm ETT.

Property Inspections
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    more knee room...

are you running a 00mm stem????

Members who have read this thread: 0