I am looking for a new HT bike, what do you think of these?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

I am looking for a new HT bike, what do you think of these?

I remember the good times of riding trails in my younger days, and I would like to take modest trail riding up again. However, I don’t really know much about the bikes and components on the market these days. Maybe you guys could help get me on my way.

I am about 5 foot 9, and 160 lbs. I am looking for a nice entry to mid level bike that I can grow with, that is a good value for the money. I don’t want to spend more than $600 bucks.

I have done some research, and the 3 bikes below seem to be a pretty good value, but I really don’t have any idea on how they compare with each other. I am also open to other models or brands if there are any you think I should check out. Any ideas?

IBEX Alpine 650 - $599 (I am also considering the 550 at $499)
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-650-Details.html

Frame: 6061 Aluminum
    Fork: Manitou Slate Super Lockout - 80mm
    Shifters: Shimano Deore Rapidfire
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX
    Crankset: Shimano M442
    Cassette: Shimano HG 50 9-spd (11-32T)
    Chain: Shimano HG53
    Brakes: Avid BB-5 Mechaincal Discs
    Levers: Avid FR-5
    Rims: WTB SpeedDisc Double-Wall Alloy
    Hubs: Formula
    Tires: WTB VelociRaptor - 26" x 2.10
    Headset: Aheadset STS-2K
    Cockpit Set: UNO Alloy
    Saddle: WTB Pure V Race
    Pedals: Shimano M505 Clipless w/ Cleats

Iron Horse Worrier Expert- $499
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....=7&category=56

Frame: DOUBLE BUTTED ALLOY HARDTAIL FRAME, ZERO STACK HEADTUBE, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER, INTERNATIONAL DISC BRAKE MOUNT
    Fork: MARZOCCHI MZ 1 W/ LOCK DOWN, 100MM TRAVEL
    Rear Shock: N/A
    Front Derailleur: SRAM W-GEN
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.7
    Shifters: SRAM X.7
    Brakes Levers: AVID FR-5
    Brakes: AVID BB-5 CABLE DISC W/ 6" ROTOR
    Chain: SHIMANO HG-73
    Crankset: FSA GAMMA 44/32/22T
    Cassette: SRAM PG-950 11X32T, 9 SPEED
    Pedals: Bottom Bracket: FSA MEGAEXO
    Headset: ZERO STACK
    Saddle: WTB SPEED V SPORT
    Seat Post: ALLOY MICRO ADJUST
    Handlebar: TRUVATIV LE LOW RISE, 31.8MM CLAMP
    Grips: RUBBER
    Stem: TRUVATIV XR, 31.8MM CLAMP
    Tires: WTB WEIRWOLF 2.1"
    Wheelset: 32 HOLE ALLOY DISC HUB, 32 HOLE WTB SX-24 RIMS, 14G STAINLESS BLACK SPOKES
    Weight: N/A

Motobecane 700 HT - $449
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cane_700HT.htm

Frame Custom 7005 Aluminum Trail-Tuned POWER STAY frame, box section chainstays, bi-axial gussetted downtube, sculpted rear dropouts with replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses, International Standard rear disc mounts
    Fork RockShox Dart 2 Adjustable with Hydraulic damping and 100mm travel
    Crankset TruVativ 5D Aluminum Triple 22/32/42T 175mm (TruShift Rings)
    Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge
    Pedals ATB Beartrap (metal cages)
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore Mega 9 top swing
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT long cage (traditional action - not rapidrise)
    Shifters Shimano Deore Mega 9 Speed STI Rapidfire Pods (27 speeds total)
    Cassette/Freewheel Cassette 11-32T 9 Speed Hyperglide
    Chain 9 Speed Z9000 Super Narrow
    Hubs Skye DiscSpecific Aluminum (black) Sealed Bearing mechanism
    Spokes Stainless Steel
    Rims WEINMANN SP-17 - Double Wall Aluminum CNC sidewalls
    Tires WTB Velociraptor Blackwall 26 x 2.10
    Brakes TEKTRO AQUILA Mechanical Disc Brakes with Multi Pad Angle adjustments
    Brake Levers Tektro for Disc
    Headset Cane Creek Internal Sealed bearing VP A42E 1.125 inch
    Handlebar Skye Comp Aluminum Riser
    Stem Skye Comp Threadless Aluminum
    Tape/Grip WTB Dual Compound
    Saddle WTB Speed V with comfort groove
    Seat Post Skye Aluminum Micro-Adjust
    Seat Clamp Alloy w/QR
    Sizes 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 inch

Cuánto pesa?

Welcome to the Forum...

I dont know if you have read these

Comsumer Reviews:

(click>) Alpine 650

(click>) Worrier Expert

(click>) 700 HT

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jake..
    Last edited by Jake Pay; 02-14-2007 at 08:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Iron Horse Warrior Expert.......by far the best bike of the three....

Freshly Fujified

All three are good choices

Welcome to the fourms, mephiston5. Sounds like you have the age old dilemma on your hands. While all three bikes are very nice choices, there are pros and cons to all three bikes based on the component specs for each one. I think the most balanced build is the Ibex 650, and the reason I say this is because I personally feel the fork selections on the other two bikes is lacking. If you're looking for the best bike out of the box, the Alpine 650 my personal recommendation. With that said, I love the SRAM drivetrain components on the Warrior and if it were me, I'd buy the Warrior, sell off the stock fork and put the money towards a better fork. That's more than most people are willing to do, and will probably put you over your budget.

Bottom line, you have three nice bikes to choose from and probably couldn't go wrong with any of them.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

I think the Motobecane is a higher grade bike

First, the Motobecane you are looking at is a lot less money; price is lower and you get free shipping. Next it has a better frame in my opinion.

I started out looking at the Hardrock, but after shopping all day I found a much better bike. I got a Motobecane 700HT for $450. I bought mine in a store but I am sure it is the same as the online version.

The Motobecane is nicer than the Iron Horse or Ibex that is mentioned here, and nicer than Specialized, Trek, Giant in same price range too. Only the Motobecane out of all those mentioned is not made in China. Check it out and you will find the same as I did.

All brands make nice upper end bikes in Taiwan; but Motobecane is the only one you see where even the lower level ones are made in Taiwan. Other brands have the bikes at your price level made in China to save money.

I looked at welds on about 100 bikes in shops and there was a clear pattern, bikes from Taiwan have nicer welds than those from China as a pattern.

Plus the Motobecane had better specs than any other bike I could find under $500. It has 100mm travel Rock Shox fork, nicer lever Tektro disc brakes, Shimano Deore & XT.

I do not think you can get a better bike for the money.

S*it Happens!
    People will say this and say that. Your best off doing what I did if you are ambitious enough. I looked up every value of every part that came on the bike and the bike came out way more in parts then the coast of what it was being sold for as a hole.

This link will help. Click Here It’s a online search tool that’s linked to about 24 online bike sellers.

This is No BS, anyone can look up the values if they would like too. As for my bike it was like this.

Around $1426 in Parts
    Normal Price $995
    Xmas Special $795

Now I have upgraded some parts and my new total is $955 and this is my build.

Fork: RockShox Revelation 409
    Crank: TruVativ FireX GXP
    B/B: TruVativ GXP
    F/D: XTR 971
    R/D: XTR 971
    Shifters: XT Rapid Fire
    Handlebar: Ritchey
    Headset: Ritchey
    Stem: Ritchey
    Seat Post: Ritchey
    Saddle: WTB
    Hubs: WTB SpeedDisc w/ QR
    Rims: WTB SpeedDisc
    Brakes: Avid BB5 F/203mm
    Brakes: Avid BB5 R/160mm
    Tires: Panaracer FireXC PRO

So anyway you get the idea. Good luck!

P.S. They say you get what you pay for. But sometimes you get more!
    Last edited by Moto Rider; 02-15-2007 at 01:05 PM.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by deepetexas
    Next it has a better frame in my opinion. The Motobecane is nicer than the Iron Horse or Ibex that is mentioned here.
    Please lets not do this. Lets just stick to facts and not opinions this thread just started to become a peaceful place to ask a simple question. I think someone can recommend something without putting someone else’s stuff down.

P.S. I have a Motobecane so I hope you can see I'm not trying to flame you.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

That's True About Everything

Bikes, Cars, Computer systems, Home Theater systems, Living room furniture, etc.

Anything you get as a package will be less than purchasing the pieces separately.

And to address your other point: the whole point of posting a question here is to solicit opinions. The OP has already posted all the facts pertaining to the question. Any reviews of the bikes mentioned will be based on personal opinion, not absolute fact. 10 people can ride the exact same frame and you can get 10 different reviews of it. Cycling, as with most things, is all about personal preference.

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    Bikes, Cars, Computer systems, Home Theater systems, Living room furniture, etc.

Anything you get as a package will be less than purchasing the pieces separately.

And to address your other point: the whole point of posting a question here is to solicit opinions. The OP has already posted all the facts pertaining to the question. Any reviews of the bikes mentioned will be based on personal opinion, not absolute fact. 10 people can ride the exact same frame and you can get 10 different reviews of it. Cycling, as with most things, is all about personal preference.
    Yes, but if he looked up the values of the three bikes he listed he would have a unbiased truth of value. Plus what does he gain by everyone bashing the other guys products.

Only total confusion...
    Last edited by Moto Rider; 02-14-2007 at 04:28 PM.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    I don't know about you, but the Ibex 650 is $600 while the Becane is only $450, but still specc'd pretty good.

I guess it's just whether you want to spend more or less, but I'd say both are great bikes.

Only problem I (heavy emphasis on the I) is that the 700T frame looks ugly (aesthetically). But that's just me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    Yes, but if he looked up the values of the three bikes he listed he would have a unbiased truth of value. Plus what does he gain by everyone bashing the other guys products.

Only total confusion...
    It's still personal preference.
    Does he know what he wants in a bike? <-- this is the biggest thing
    For me, a good build would be to put alivio deraillers and shifters, deore v brakes, and mabye rockshox tora for $450

Freshly Fujified

Please stop nitpicking

Why do I find myself continually warning people about this? We all have our opinions and our own means of evaluating bikes and their inherent value. State your opinion and let the OP make their decision based on the collective input. It's not about whether or not you are "right or wrong" about your recommendation, or whether the person chooses the bike you recommended, but about helping the person decide the bike that's right for them.

Again, this is fair warning that posts deemed detrimental to the intent of this thread, or otherwise derailling it in some pi$$ing contest will be deleted and the thread is at risk of being locked. That totally defeats the purpose of helping this fellow cyclist out in their decision making process, which, by the way is their decision.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Members who have read this thread: 0