Hybrid/Cross bike for commuting, any thoughts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Hybrid/Cross bike for commuting, any thoughts?

Am thinking of getting a hybrid bike for commuting and in-town riding. Anyone have any good suggestions? I don't recall seeing a lot of these in the states, or maybe I was looking in the wrong place. There are lots of them here in Germany and I test rode a Winora this evening and it was a sweet ride. I could feel my lower back thanking me already. Fast, light, nice shifting and brakes. My commute is about 10 miles each way, almost all pavement.

Mountain bike is too slow and not the most comfortable, plus I don't want to outfit my mtb with panniers, lights and lock which are a must for commuting. I'm surviving with a backpack and mtb for now, but want to upgrade.
    Got suggestions?? Budget calls for something in the neighborhood of $750+ -

thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Wink Here's a suggestion....

Check out the Kona Jake series. They are found under the "Asphalt" category from this link: http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...categoryid=253

Might be what you are looking for and they are raced and developed by the Kona off road race team so they are up to the challenge.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thanks, but I'm not sure I'm cool enough to own a Kona.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Trek has some fine examples....

The first picture below is their FX 7.7. It is basically a hybrid frame lightened, with road components, very fast and designed more as a fitness bike. So not sure if the panier thing will work on em.

The second photo is of a "hybrid". It does have brazons for panier or rack attachments. It uses primarilly 9 speed MTB drive train components with a little taller chainrings up front, 48 tooth big ring if I remember correctly. Both use 700c tires and light road wheels.

Fisher has comparable models as do Specialized, Kona and others. So they are out there, you just have to shop for them. Not all bikes shops carry them. It depends on the area and the shop. I know our shop (Trek/Fisher/Klein dealer) carries allot of them as our customers consist pretty much of commuters, road bikers, and Seniors looking to get in shape. plus the always present kid market. So we sell tons of townies, hybrids, road and kids bikes, with a few MTBs tossed in for the University crowd.

Anyway below are the examples.

Good Dirt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Members who have read this thread: 0