How much longer travel can I go on front shock?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How much longer travel can I go on front shock?

I have a 2001 Giant Warp DS1...It's old but does everything I ever ask it to. It's withstood lots of fast sketchy singletrack with drops up to 3 or 4 feet and jumps clearing gaps of 20 feet. Nothing much to brag about, but not light duty considering I am down to a weight of 260 and had ridden in the 320# range initially.

For a long time, I was shocked when the bike didn't break under me on an agressive ride. The regional Giant rep assured me they are tough frames that have a lifetime warrantee and he has plenty on hand if I need one as they've never had to warrantee many.

For those reasons, and the fact that I'm not rich, I'm planning to keep this ride for a while longer...but I'm considering buying a 29'r front wheel and new 29'r longer travel fork to try a 69'r...or just a longer travel 26" fork.

From what I've read around the forums though, there is a limit to how much over stock you can go without running into geometry and handling issues. How do I know what those limits are so I have an idea of what I can buy? My rear travel is rated at 4.5"

PS: I guess I should have mentioned I have a 100mm Marzochi Z5 coil on the front currently.
    Last edited by SeaHag; 10-25-2011 at 11:26 PM.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    The regional Giant rep assured me they are tough frames that have a lifetime warrantee and he has plenty on hand if I need one as they've never had to warrantee many.

For those reasons, and the fact that I'm not rich, I'm planning to keep this ride for a while longer...but I'm considering buying a 29'r front wheel and new 29'r longer travel fork to try a 69'r...or just a longer travel 26" fork.
    You mightn't have a lifetime warranty if you change the bike, you should ask the Giant rep what size fork you can put on without voiding the warranty and if the 69er modification will also void the warranty.

Freshly Fujified

I think you're OK at 120mm

Please don't quote me on this as it's been a while, but my first F/S rig was a Warp. According to Bikepedia, the rear shock has 4.5" of travel. If memory serves me correctly, the frame has two places to mount the rear shock. One for putting 100mm up front, the other, 120mm. Do a little more research online (Google search "giant warp travel") and see what you come up with. There should be a lot of information out there about this bike.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    You mightn't have a lifetime warranty if you change the bike, you should ask the Giant rep what size fork you can put on without voiding the warranty and if the 69er modification will also void the warranty.
    If he needed warranty work he could just swap the old fork and wheel back on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde View Post
    Please don't quote me on this as it's been a while, but my first F/S rig was a Warp. According to Bikepedia, the rear shock has 4.5" of travel. If memory serves me correctly, the frame has two places to mount the rear shock. One for putting 100mm up front, the other, 120mm. Do a little more research online (Google search "giant warp travel") and see what you come up with. There should be a lot of information out there about this bike.

Bob
    I just went out and checked out my frame in the garage and if there is a second shock mount option, I'm not seeing it. I have the 2001 model, which was the first year...perhaps that was an option in later years as I did find mention of it online; but no up close looks at a frame to see it for myself.

Thanks to the user who pointed out the steep head angle. It makes sense that I could get away with the longer travel and added rake since lots of the newer bikes are running head angles in the mid to upper 60's now. I think I'll look for a fork in the 130mm neighborhood to compensate for a little more sag I can expect at my weight.