mtbr member
    Jul 2009

How much is this bike worth?

Somebody is selling their custom build on a local mountain biking site and I'm not sure if it is a good deal or not still being kind of a newbie and all. I've been riding for awhile, but have not dived into all the components yet.

He is now asking $1,300 for the bike. What would you be willing to pay? What is it worth? He's been trying to sell it for about 2 months now and has been dropping the price, so he's probaby willing to sell it for less.

Here is his complete description:

2008 Giant Anthem 1 - Complete build with <80 miles of use. No wrecks or chain suck. Excellent condition. Replaced used SRAM X7 components:
    rear deraileur and shifters.

New: LX 9spd trigger shifters
    New: XT Shadow rear derailuer

This bike is ready to be punished.

size- Large
    color Blue/Brushed Alloy
    frame ALUXX SL FluidFormed™ alloy Maestro 3.5” of travel
    fork Mannitou Minute Elite 120 mm
    headset- FSA orbit Z carbonfiber internal
    rear shock Fox Float RP2 w/adj. ProPedal
    rear derailleur XT shadow
    front derailleur Shimano Deore 34.9
    shifters -LX 9spd trigger shifters
    crankset Shimano Deore LX Hollowtech II 22x32x44
    bottom bracket Shimano Deore LX integrated, outboard
    chain SRAM 9 speed
    cassette Shimano Deore XT 9 speed 11-34T
    brakes AVID JUICY 5 hydraulic w/6" 6-bolt rotors
    brake levers AVID JUICY 5
    hubs Shimano Deore disc
    rims Mavic X 317 disc 26”
    tires Panaracer fire XC 2.1
    pedals SPD clipless
    stem Raceface Evolve XC low rise
    seat post Raceface Evolve Deus XC
    H-bar - Richey Comp Mid-rise XC 26.5"
    Bontrager race saddle
    I have been looking to upgrade from my HT to a FS with disc brakes (I don't have them on mine). If I didn't get this I was looking at getting a 2010 Athem X3 next summer. What is everyone's opinion????????

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    This is a frame build up and is not the Giant Anthem 1 that was sold in stores. The fork, crankset, and wheelset are all downgrades. Its closer to a "trail grade" bike rather than a race grade bike. The Anthem 1 comes with a Fox 80MM fork and this bike has a 120 MM fork which might scare some buyers away. I think the price could be lower and I would look at having to change the fork. You really would need to take a close look at the bike to determine value and compare it with something new. The sellers problem is partly that he had a race grade bike with some slightly lower grade parts and the fork.

g3h6o3
    Yeah the 120mmm fork doesn't belong on an Anthem. It probably screws up the geometry big time.

Apart from that, a friend of mine has a '07 Anthem. He likes it but the BB height is problematic (too low). So if that's a concern to you, keep this in mind.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Rod
    mtbr member
    If it's not the anthem x, then the extra 40mm extra travel could mess up the bikes very sharp handling and put more pressure on the head tube.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thank you to everyone for the advice. I think I just might wait until the 2010 Anthem X3's go on sale next year.

mtbr member
    Rather than waiting I would spend some time on Ebay waiting for an Anthem frame to show up. In the past couple of weeks three frames sold for between $350-$525. I think I would consider buying a used frame in the $400 range and swapping all the stuff over from the current XTC. I would look for maybe a decent used set of hydraulics like the Elixir that came with rotors to add some bling to the ride.

The main alternatives to the Anthem would be a used Giant NRS 2003-2004 which could be had cheap or a Specialized Epic 2003 or newer. A used Epic in the $900 range could be offset by the sale of your current bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0