mtbr member
    May 2018

How important is a Threaded BB vs Pressfit?

Hi all! Looking at a new FS bike with all the major direct to consumer retailers. Commencal, Canyon, YT, and DB. Price point sitting at 2500, and was wondering how important the threaded BB is. On initial research the DB has threaded while most others do not. The Release 3 is the model in question VS Canyon, Meta 4.2, and Jeffsy (AL models). Geo, specs, sizing, and looks all fit what Iím looking for but trying to determine which route is the best as far as longevity and quality of builds. I have a DB and love it, as does my brother. But am more interested in what people think of these small differences namely the BB type?
    Thanks!

Keep on Rockin...
    On a well made frame I feel the pf vs threaded bb is a non-issue. It appears to me to have become a marketing ploy.

Seems the pf may offer improved frame construction from an engineering standpoint.

With Shimano cups I've had zero issues with my pf bbs.

Through the years I've had far more issues with threaded BBs.

That said, it no longer weighs into my decision. On a well made frame, using the correct bb, it does not matter to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Not as big an issue that people make out.

Out spokin'
    It seems the worst issues with creaking press-fit BBs involve carbon frames. Personally I won't own either (carbon frame or press-fit BB) but many riders don't have any problems with either.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The odds of having a creaky bottom bracket are probably higher with a press fit bb than they are with a threaded bb... but so many manufacturers make bikes with press fits that I think we would be hearing more of an outcry if it was a huge issue. I have a bike that has one, and it's been smooth sailing so far. If I was deciding between two equivalent bikes, and one had a threaded bb I would go that route... but I wouldn't let it stop me from buying a bike I was dying to have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Not as big an issue that people make out.
    Exactly. I think the bigger thing is that creaking threaded BBs are an old issue that shops know how to address, where creaking pressfits require some new tricks. And we all know how much shop mechanics hate to have to learn anything new.

It is true that threads don't require as tight of tolerance as a pf interface. So in that sense, sure a threaded BB is less likely to creak. But really, if your pf BB creaks, more likely the problem is your mechanic than your frame.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Pressfit got a bad rap from the cheap plastic BBs that SRAM stuffed in a lot of the early bikes that had it IMO. That said, they got another bad round of publicity wit the BB92 standard when bike manufacturers tried to stuff 30mm spindle cranks into a hole that was designed for shimano 24mm cranks. This was the choice of brands like pivot, trek, etc. There isn't really enough space in there to set up a proper BB and have the right size bearings, so that's a combo to still watch out for and it will mean more frequent BB changes. Otherwise, there are good BBs from wheels mfg, enduro fork seals, praxxis, hope, and a bunch of others, that are high quality and generally work well in the PF bottom brackets.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I've been looking at the YT Jeffsy and notice YT is still using PF BB's. Does anyone have a Jeffsy that has had creaking issues at the BB? Looks like they use RaceFace and e13 BB's on their bikes, both PF.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The quality of the BB that came in my Jeffsy is very low. I haven't had any creaking issues from it yet though. Been riding it since February. When it goes I'll put in a wheels manufacturing or a hope.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Does yours have the RF or e13 BB?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I have the race face. No problems, not the oldest bike yet, but I ride every weekend. And I arrive fairly hard. I have a Hardtail with a threaded bracket, and canít really tell the difference. Iím not a pro, and I thought the problem would be more apparent Ė but if creakingIs the only problem then Iím perfectly happy with pressed fit

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Cool thanks for the feedback.

Barely in control
    The Hollowtech II gets talked down because it's a bearing pressed into a cup that's threaded into a shell that's pressed or glued into a frame. But it's only $20 to replace, the tools are cheap, and it's reliable.

When this "stiffer is always better" infatuation dies down I think frame makers will begin to go back to threaded.

For my sad group of PF30, BB30, and BB92 bikes, I have an array of lubes and adhesives on a shelf to keep them from creaking. so far so good.

Elitest thrill junkie
    And to answer the original question: It's three.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Pressfit got a bad rap from the cheap plastic BBs that SRAM stuffed in a lot of the early bikes that had it IMO. That said, they got another bad round of publicity wit the BB92 standard when bike manufacturers tried to stuff 30mm spindle cranks into a hole that was designed for shimano 24mm cranks. This was the choice of brands like pivot, trek, etc. There isn't really enough space in there to set up a proper BB and have the right size bearings, so that's a combo to still watch out for and it will mean more frequent BB changes. Otherwise, there are good BBs from wheels mfg, enduro fork seals, praxxis, hope, and a bunch of others, that are high quality and generally work well in the PF bottom brackets.
    All true, and what a bunch of bullshit. Better to not enter the minefield than go in with a map, no?

Pressfit is a good litmus test for a frame designer who doesn't care about durability. As such pressfit is awesome.

BB92 was designed around 24mm cranks. Anyone using 30mm cranks in bb92 is a moron. Another litmus test.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've covered somewhere around 1500 hard kms on my Firebird carbon now. Still on the PF92 BB it came with, which has never been serviced and I've never had a peep out of it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Interesting to hear actual experience with PF. I have stuck with threaded for ease of removal to regrease or chase creaks and (and that is the way I have always done it..) but I can see where PF may not be as much of a hassle as i thought it might be.

urmb
    ďNothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.Ē ~ John F. Kennedy