How good are Iron Horse Bikes?- Mtbr.com
    Muhuhahaha

How good are Iron Horse Bikes?

How good are Iron Horse bikes? I found a place on the internet that has really great prices. I could get a good mnt bike with hayes breaks and deore componants for under 450. Anyone know anything about tise company?

All Mountain all the way
    Jul 2006
    Can you throw up a link so we can take a look at the company, and the bike? Thanks!

Muhuhahaha
    Its the randall scott that advertised on here
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.394/.f

Muhuhahaha

Rammer Jammer
    I'm glad you asked because I recently purchased an Iron Horse Warrior Comp. My perspective is that the Iron Horse line represents one of the very best values out there. In other words, you get a lot of bike for the money. In assessing how "good" a bike is, it seems to be a function of: 1) the components and 2) the frame. My observation is that Iron Horse attempts to spec out each of the bikes with the very best components that a given price point will permit. That really is why I believe they offer such a tremendous value. As for the frame, my experience has been nothing but positive. The reality is that the vast majority of frames are of very high quality (many from the same manufacturer) with the only differentiation being certain design elements and weight. I personally think that buyers end up paying more for the "name" on certain bikes which opens up the opportunity for Iron Horse to offer more bang for the buck while also putting together a damn good bike. My two cents.

Rammer Jammer
    By the way, the Iron Horse Warrior Expert being offered by RS at $569 is a great deal in my opinion. That's normally an $800 bike. I wish I had waited for such a deal. I paid $550 for my Warrior Comp. Oh well.

Muhuhahaha
    How hard can you ride the Iron horse bikes? Are they better than the Gary Fishers and Jamis bikes?

Rammer Jammer
    As hard as any bike. I tested a Gary Fisher. The Iron Horse was more comfortable to me and it had better components at the same price point. That's one of those pay up for the name situations. I refused to do it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonsmasher
    How good are Iron Horse bikes?
    I have a 2004 Iron Horse Hollowpoint. Great bike, great company.

Take a look at the Iron Horse forum. I think you'll find that most of the folks that hang out in that forum are pretty happy with their bikes.

Rammer Jammer
    Demonsmasher, I just noticed you're from Ringgold. If you have the time, drive down here to Atlanta and test ride the Iron Horse. Performance Bicycles carries the line. They have a couple of locations north of Atlanta (Dunwoody and Roswell). That's the best way to make a decision.

All Mountain all the way
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DBF in ATL
    By the way, the Iron Horse Warrior Expert being offered by RS at $569 is a great deal in my opinion. That's normally an $800 bike. I wish I had waited for such a deal. I paid $550 for my Warrior Comp. Oh well.
    I really wish Iron Horse would post their MSRP on their website. I don't understand why a lot of bike companies do that. You have to find out what the normal price of the bike is by locating that information somewhere else. It's so inconvenient.

Muhuhahaha
    Are thier prices compatable with the sale prices on RS site?

Rammer Jammer
    Normally they are, but right now RS seems to be conducting a model-year closeout sale, so their prices are better. Had I known this was going to be the case, I would have waited until now to make my purchase. My guess is that Performance would match the RS prices if pushed. Their web address is: www.performancebike.com . Check it out.

Muhuhahaha
    Ok I'll check that out. Do you know what the frame is made out of 6010 or 7005 or something like that. Iron Horse website just says ALLOY HARDTAIL FRAME. Check this out and tell me what you think.

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....2&category=394

Rammer Jammer
    I'm pretty sure that my Warrior has the 6010 frame material and I would assume the Maverick does as well, but you better get verification first. The price is right on the Maverick. I'm partial to the Warrior, of course, but if your budget is in line with the Maverick I think it would be a fine choice. Let me know what you ultimately decide.

Muhuhahaha
    I'm looking to spend around 400 hopefully not more than 450. I tried a Gary Fisher Wahoo and really like it. It didn't have disk braks though just V's. I have also been looking at Jamis, there is a dealer here in Ringgold and thier prices seem to be good too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    my maverick pro is 6061

Muhuhahaha
    The only think I can think of againist Iron Horse. The closest place that sells them in 75miles away. If I had a problem right after buying that may be covered under a wart. then I would have to drive a long ways to get it fixed.

Rammer Jammer
    I would call the company to find out if that would necessarily be the case. It could be that your LBS could do the work even though they don't carry the line. Just a thought. Otherwise, you should probably stick with your local guy for the sake of convenience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well of course they're happy...

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    I have a 2004 Iron Horse Hollowpoint. Great bike, great company.

Take a look at the Iron Horse forum. I think you'll find that most of the folks that hang out in that forum are pretty happy with their bikes.
    after all it is the "Iron Horse Forum". Strangely enough most forums for a particular item are positive towards that item unless it's an "I hate......" forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    " The reality is that the vast majority of frames are of very high quality (many from the same manufacturer) with the only differentiation being certain design elements and weight. I personally think that buyers end up paying more for the "name" on certain bikes ".

While Iron Horse and other mfrs use the same frame, but different components for different price points(kona for another mfr) you are incorrect in stating there is no difference in the frames of some of the more expensive bikes. Till you do some research on tube manipulation, internal butting and tube shaping you'll not understand how certain bikes achieve an exceptional ride quality that you just don't experience on a mass market bike. Don't get me wrong though. I think the Specialized, Jamis, Iron Horse, Cannondales and all the others are super bikes, but you can pay more and get lots more in terms of ride quality, fit and craftsmanship. A Chevy sedan is a nice ride, but compared to a Caddy it's just a lump of steel with 4 wheels. It'll do the job and quite well, but there is something to be said for getting what you pay for. In bikes it's the frame.

Muhuhahaha
    I see your piont fred, I am seeing alot on a few website where they are talking about how the fram it butted and put togather and how they are made.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Performance does price match internet prices

Just to throw in another bit of info., Performance does price match any internet pricing. I have purchased three bikes from them this summer and they have privce matched a couple of prices which were really low. I paid $350 for my '06 Warrior Comp. and $799 for my '05 Schwinn Fastback Comp roadie. Also, if you join their "team performance" for $20, you get 10% back in store credit. Obviously it makes sense to join if you buy at least a $200 bike there 'cause you get the 20 bucks back which you spent to join. If you are buying a bike, this is a great way to go about picking up a helmet or such. Give them the URL of the web site you have the price on and they will match it. They also give you free adjustments for life. All good stuff.
    Oh, and I love my IH by the way. Best of luck with whatever you decide!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

where to find prices

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie1992
    Just to throw in another bit of info., Performance does price match any internet pricing. I have purchased three bikes from them this summer and they have privce matched a couple of prices which were really low. I paid $350 for my '06 Warrior Comp. and $799 for my '05 Schwinn Fastback Comp roadie. Also, if you join their "team performance" for $20, you get 10% back in store credit. Obviously it makes sense to join if you buy at least a $200 bike there 'cause you get the 20 bucks back which you spent to join. If you are buying a bike, this is a great way to go about picking up a helmet or such. Give them the URL of the web site you have the price on and they will match it. They also give you free adjustments for life. All good stuff.

Oh, and I love my IH by the way. Best of luck with whatever you decide!!
    Hi...
    i'm looking at Iron horse Warrior comp also.
    Where [if i may ask] did you get those price's????????
    and because it doesnt have lockout, do you find it hinders your hill climbing or any street riding you do???
    i have a Performance bike shop just a few miles from me, and down the street from where the wife works!
    any info on how your bike handles the street or trails you can share with me would be great too!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

How I got my IH Warrior Comp Price

Hello there. I got my 06' Warrior Comp at right around $350 through a price match. The local big box sports store (The Sports Authority) carries some IH as well and does have the WC. They were having a 30% off sale from their price of $499 for the bike. I went into a local Performance store here in Atlanta and asked if they would price match the $499 minus 30% (because I wanted to buy from a LBS who would help take care of any issues that came up). They called TSA to check on pricing and did match it. The total with tax included was around $373 if I recall correctly. I also joined "Team Performance" for $20 and used the approx. $37 in credit to buy gloves, a water bottle, etc.
    As for how the bike handles....for what I paid it is really difficult to find anything that compares. From time to time I wish the fork was a bit stiffer, but I really can't complain. Solid components at a great price.
    I believe that The Sports Authority here in Atlanta is currently having a 25% off sale so it may be a good time to pick one up. Best of luck to you on whatever route you decide to go.

Members who have read this thread: 0