How can I tell how old this Ellsworth Truth is?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

How can I tell how old this Ellsworth Truth is?

I just bought a used bike and am trying to determine it's age. I've called the company but they say it's hard to tell with just the serial number since the old ones started with the year, but the new ones don't. If anyone could help me guess the age I'd appreciate it! Here is a picture:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How can I tell how old this Ellsworth Truth is?-ellsworth-truth-1.jpg  

Granny Gear Guru
    2009 or 2007?
    10 Specialized Hardrock
    Looking for a new bike...... selling one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just based on the decals on the fork, that Reba looks to be a 2005. So the frame may be the same.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Does the frame have any cracks?

If an Ellsworth has a crack in it, it's probably less than a year old

Joking aside, congrats on your new ride.

AZ
    banned
    Never Mind , I cant read .

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Why would it have cracks in it? I had never actually heard of an Ellsworth, is it a crap bike? I'm a newbie and this is my first mountain bike... The components looked really nice though, and it only weighs 26 lbs for a double suspension which is awesome! I was told the bike cost $7k new, I paid $2500 for it, did I get ripped off? It rides really nice! (Not that I have a lot to compare it to!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laughingduck
    Why would it have cracks in it? I had never actually heard of an Ellsworth, is it a crap bike? I'm a newbie and this is my first mountain bike... The components looked really nice though, and it only weighs 26 lbs for a double suspension which is awesome! I was told the bike cost $7k new, I paid $2500 for it, did I get ripped off? It rides really nice! (Not that I have a lot to compare it to!)
    Not crap at all. Once the bike is identified I'm sure you can get lots of info on the bike at the Ellsworth subforum.

Granny Gear Guru
    I wish I had an Ellsworth for my first bike.... yes that's a good bike.
    10 Specialized Hardrock
    Looking for a new bike...... selling one?

AZ
    banned
    Its a great bike , you may want to pose this question in the Ellsworth sub forum .

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Some links that will give a bit of an idea.

*Pages can be slow to load, they have to be retrieved from a massive database.

2004/2005 model: http://web.archive.org/web/20040702003243/www.ellsworthbikes.com/bikes/truth/index.cfm
    2005/2006 model: http://web.archive.org/web/20051201015759/www.ellsworthbikes.com/bikes/truth/index.cfm
    2006/2007 model has a different frame design, it has a gusset on the top of the top tube going to the seat tube.

Archived Ellsworth webpages: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.ellsworthbikes.com/
    Not all links work or work fully, some links you can see only the main page, others links you can click to see the bike range and some you click through to see the different models.
    Last edited by cobba; 07-28-2010 at 11:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So you called the company and gave them the serial number and they can't tell you what year it is? What a bunch of bull.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl
    So you called the company and gave them the serial number and they can't tell you what year it is? What a bunch of bull.

Best, John
    I thought it was weird too. It's not like it's an ancient bike from many years ago. I'm sure it's from this decade.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I know this is a old thread but did you ever figure out what year you had??

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was bout to ask you the same question....I bought a mongoose pro and I have no idea what year it might be,

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fuel426 View Post
    I was bout to ask you the same question....I bought a mongoose pro and I have no idea what year it might be,
    Start a post in the Mongoose dedicated forum with some pics. I'm sure someone can help.

Also check here.
    BikePedia

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Looks exactly like my 06 did.

textbook under achiver
    Had an 04 with a Romic shock, same color and link looked the same. The link was different before 2000 or 02 if I remember correct. a couple years later they got a fancy ICE sticker.... My frame cracked at headtube weld, which was a real bummer as I loved the ride of the bike. I bought it second hand, but was told that even if new, the company was not good about replacing the numerous frames that were breaking. Crazy, as I hammered a 95 Mantis Pro-Floater (only 2.5 inches of travel, lighter frame) on the same trails for 10 years same pace with no issues (except lots of "oh sh*t" moments...it was twitchy).
    I wANt To bE DiffeREnT JusT LiKe EveRyOne eLsE!

Members who have read this thread: 0