• 07-28-2011
    willbarrow81
    Hmmm.. after alot of soul searching, converting my cruiser might be my best bet!
    I've been asking lots of questions here and finally have an idea on how to meet in the middle. What I need is a bike that can be ridden on the road 80-90% of the time and gravel/dirt a little. I need to sit upright because of a serious back injury, so I bought an Iron Horse PT-4 cruiser. The problem is that it's got the defunked 4-speed nexus rear hub. I need more speeds! I live in Asheville, NC and pretty much every road is hilly. My dream would be that it a 21 speed, or at least 7 speeds. I would love to know if I can buy a rear wheel with a 7 speed cassette or how to convert it. Is it possible to make my bike a 21speed? If so where in the world do I start?! Thanks for the help!!!
  • 07-28-2011
    IAmHolland
    See the other thread you started. Your bike has no derailleur hanger, so an external cassette will not work for you. You can build another internally geared wheel, but you may have problems with brakes. Your bike is a coaster brake system.

I don't know if there are any other forums, but you might have better luck with conversions on a forum that specializes in hybrids and townie bikes.
  • 07-28-2011
    willbarrow81
    Yea, that townie was totally awesome! Its just that my budget is 300.! I was afraid of that about the derailer. What about the kind that hangs from the bolt that holds on the rear tire? Thanks, Will
  • 07-28-2011
    IAmHolland
    No clue. What's wrong with buying a used bike?
  • 07-28-2011
    AZ
    You can use a bolt on derailluer hanger to get this done.
  • 07-28-2011
    willbarrow81
    Ahhhhh! A bolt on 7 speed? Or with a 3 speed crank , a bolt on 21 speed? Ive been looking on line for a web page that might help me with the conversion. But no luck. Any ideas? Thanks for the ideas guys!